Thursday Evening Spring Tournament [April 15/22, online]

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
CPiGuy
Auron

Thursday Evening Spring Tournament [April 15/22, online]

Post by CPiGuy »

I am pleased to announce that I will be directing the Thursday Evening Spring Tournament [TEST] on the ERIS set (which I edited). It will take place over two Thursday afternoons/evenings, on April 15 and 22, 2021.

A shorter tournament, TEST/2, will take place on only the evening of April 22nd. See below for more information.

Eligibility
This tournament is open to all middle schools (defined as 8th grade and below) that have not already played the ERIS set, as well as all high schools. High school teams will be limited to players in 9th and 10th grade. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact me.

(Some schools contain both some of grades 9-12 and lower grades. If this describes your school, you may field a team combining middle schoolers and 9th-10th graders. This will be considered a high school team.)

If there are sufficiently many teams, the tournament will have separate MS and HS divisions. Otherwise, the MS and HS teams will compete together in one field.

Schedule and Format
The tournament will take place on Discord over two Thursday afternoons/evenings. Games will start promptly at 5pm Central Time on each day. There will be 3-5 rounds each day; precise numbers of rounds are dependent on the format but I plan to guarantee each team at least seven rounds.

Despite taking place over two days, this tournament is one tournament. Players may be added to (or removed from) rosters between days, but players may not be switched between teams; i.e. if a player plays for Smith B on the first day, they cannot be promoted to Smith A for the second day.

All players will be expected to use video during all tournament matches unless they have specifically requested, and received, an exception from the tournament director (me).

Conduct
I am committed to keeping quizbowl a safe place for all participants. Misconduct, cheating, and other forms of misbehavior are not tolerated and I reserve the right to remove players if they commit such acts. Players will be expected to abide by the PACE Code of Conduct and can avail themselves of the quizbowl misconduct form, in addition to reporting misconduct to me or other tournament officials.

I will also note that playing without a camera and exhibiting behaviors suggestive of cheating will place you under extreme suspicion.

Fees
The entry fee for this tournament will be $60 per team. As this tournament is online, no buzzer discounts will be given.

Registration
In order to register for this tournament, fill out this form.

Registration will close shortly before the tournament on April 15.

Staff
Staffers will be paid $15 for each day they staff. You can sign up to staff one or both days by filling out this form.

Field
Booker T. Washington (New York, NY) [1 team]
Longfellow (Falls Church, VA) [1 team]
T. H. Rogers (Houston, TX) [1 team]
University School of Nashville (Nashville, TN) [1 team]
Last edited by CPiGuy on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Thursday Evening Spring Tournament [April 15/22, online]

Post by CPiGuy »

Registration is still open for TEST and will close at 4:30 Central time today.

I will hold, parallel to day 2 on the 22nd, a second mini-tournament ("TEST/2") for teams who did not play the first day. It will go 3-5 rounds, depending on the field size. The cost for this tournament will be $30/team (half the cost of the full tournament). I will assume any registrations received after 5pm today are for this division. As with the full tournament, TEST/2 will be open to both middle school and grades 9-10 teams and will have split divisions if field sizes permit. This tournament will run as long as there are at least three teams registered.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database