Update on NAQT's Plans for 2021 National Championships

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Update on NAQT's Plans for 2021 National Championships

Post by Important Bird Area »

Cross-posted to different parts of the forum, since this post includes updates about middle school, high school, and college events. --JTH
naqt.com wrote:NAQT has signed contracts with hotels to host in-person versions of all of our 2021 national championships other than the Community College Championship Tournament. We have agreed with the hotels to review the public health situation in January, and we hope to have decisions regarding the 2021 championships by the end of January.

In the meantime, we are working on plans for in-person versions of our championships, and on backup plans for online versions. We will only run an online version of a championship if the in-person version is canceled. We will soon make determinations about the timing and general format each tournament would have if held online, then open registration for qualified teams for the Small School National Championship Tournament, Middle School National Championship Tournament, and High School National Championship Tournament; and for players who want to sign up for the Individual Player National Championship Tournament. Teams will be able to register for the Community College Championship Tournament and the Intercollegiate Championship Tournament later on.

We will not run in-person championships unless we believe we can run them safely and responsibly. If we are unable to run our championships in-person, we are confident we can provide superb online championship experiences.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Update on NAQT's Plans for 2021 National Championships

Post by Important Bird Area »

As part of our planning efforts, we sent out links to surveys to many coaches, parents, and players. We are collecting survey responses through December 18, so if you haven't filled out a survey yet and want us to have your input, please respond soon. If you are not sure whether a survey response has been submitted on behalf of your team or on behalf of you as a player, please write to us at [email protected]
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred