Rosalind Franklin Bowl (James Blair IV)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
MaxBruch1838
Kimahri

Rosalind Franklin Bowl (James Blair IV)

Post by MaxBruch1838 »

In honor of Rosalind Franklin's birthday, we are very excited to announce that we will be hosting the Rosalind Franklin Bowl! Details follow.

Time and Format:
First off, this tournament will be run on discord, so please set up everything on your desired device ahead of time. If you experience technical difficulties, please let me know. The tournament will begin at 10 AM EST on July 25th. It will probably run to about 3:00 PM (EST), since this will be a tossups-only tournament.

We will most likely have six preliminary rounds, followed by a rebracketing to match up the best teams (record-wise) against each other, four 'playoff' rounds, and a finals round to determine who will get 1st place, 3rd place, 5th place, etc. If we get more teams than our current cap, the format may change.

Questions:
We will be using the James Blair Bowl IV, an HS set of moderate difficulty. As I said earlier, we will only play with tossups to ensure that the tournament wont be exceedingly long.

Eligibility:
This is a tournament for middle-schoolers only. If you're not in middle school, then you cannot compete.

Payment:
The cost for a standard school team is $50, and the cost for a Chimera is $60. Payments should be made to [email protected] via PayPal or Venmo, but if you are unable to pay through either of those, then please contact me and we'll find a way that could work.

Cheating:
Cheating is strongly prohibited. If we find evidence of cheating, the guilty parties will immediately be banned and disqualified.

Staffing:
We are in need of staff! if you are interested, please sign up on this Google Form: https://forms.gle/KMSv1LYq9dkCBnWAA. We're not sure how many folks we will need yet but we will keep you updated. Update: We have met our desired number of staffers, so the staffer signup has closed.

To sign up for the tournament, please use this Google Form: https://forms.gle/KMSv1LYq9dkCBnWAA. You can also email us at [email protected] or [email protected] or contact us via discord. My username is "Krishna R. (ECHHS)#7430".

Thanks,
Krishna
Last edited by MaxBruch1838 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Krishna Rajagopal
--
Smith Middle School 2018-2020
East Chapel Hill High School 2020-Present
MaxBruch1838
Kimahri

Re: Rosalind Franklin Bowl (James Blair IV)

Post by MaxBruch1838 »

Teams Registered
Monrovia
Longfellow A
Longfellow B
'Oedipus Shrex' (Barrington - University Lab Chimera)
Churchill B
Middlesex
Coppell North
Wayzata A
Wayzata B
Wayzata C
Greenhill A
Greenhill B
St. Marx
Smith 'B'
Churchill A
'Neg Machine'
@TD
West Point
--
Teams will now be waitlisted, and if we can get enough, we'll expand the field.
Last edited by MaxBruch1838 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Krishna Rajagopal
--
Smith Middle School 2018-2020
East Chapel Hill High School 2020-Present
dlehrapsnack
Lulu

Post by dlehrapsnack »

Sorry to trouble you, but I don't think you have explicitly mentioned whether Chimeras are allowed or not. Please clarify this!
- Thanks.

Edit; I can't read, you already mentioned this.
Srinath Iyer
Smith Middle
aqblsheetsmanager
Lulu

Post by aqblsheetsmanager »

Thank you so much to everyone who came!

Congratulations to Oedipus Shrex, who won the tournament, and Karl's Nursery, who were the runner-ups!

Stats can be found here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6516/
AQBL Statsmin