The Carolina Cup (MVS RAMS 2)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
dlehrapsnack
Lulu

The Carolina Cup (MVS RAMS 2)

Post by dlehrapsnack »

Because of the cancellation of the majority of Quizbowl tournaments, we are very excited and grateful to announce we will be hosting the Carolina Cup on June 14th! Details are below:

Eligibility:
Firstly, this is a Middle School tournament, which means High Schoolers may NOT play. All middle schoolers are allowed to compete in this tournament. Additionally, this is not a closed tournament, which means that players can play with their other school team members, or they can form Chimera teams. The registration fee for Chimeras is $65. Please note that acceptance of a Chimera is up to the Tournament Director's discretion.

Questions:
This tournament will be using the set named RAMS 2. The target difficulty of this set is NAQT MS level, and is comparable to SCOP and other HS Novice sets.

The Time and the Format:
Firstly, We will run this tournament on Discord. Before the day of the tournament, make sure you have a working Discord account. If there are any problems with that, please let me know. The tournament will begin at 10 AM EST, or 9 AM CST

RAMS 2 has 10 available packets, with an additional replacements packet, meaning that we will play prelims first (most likely 5 rounds), based on seedings. After a re-bracket, teams will play more games against other teams who finished with a similar record to them in prelims (most likely 4 rounds). Finals will follow, with teams playing for 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc. All teams are guaranteed at least 9 rounds. Depending on the field size, the format of the tournament will change accordingly. We will be reading tossups and bonuses; this is because RAMS 2 is a relatively easy packet, therefore the best way to accurately determine a winner is through bonus conversion.

Payment/Fees:
The cost is $50 per team (Non Chimera). At the moment, we are not offering a moderator discount. Payment is best made by Paypal ([email protected]), but if you cannot Paypal, we will figure out a way so you are still able to play in the tournament.

Cheating:
Many of the other tournaments have experienced many instances of cheating, so please do not cheat. Keep in mind that this tournament is meant for players to enjoy, not for cheaters to win. If multiple moderators report that a player is cheating, we will kick that player, notify the coaches and may or may not disqualify the rest of his/her team.

Staffing:
We are in need of staff! The amount that we ultimately need is dependent on the number of teams and whether or not we feel the urge to hire both moderators and scorekeepers. If you are interested, sign up on the spreadsheet or let me know via email (You are not guaranteed a chance to staff if the limit is met).

To sign up for the tournament, use the given spreadsheet found here. You can also email me at [email protected] to register and I will add you to the spreadsheet.
Last edited by dlehrapsnack on Wed May 20, 2020 11:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Srinath Iyer
Smith Middle
dlehrapsnack
Lulu

Re: The Carolina Cup (MVS RAMS 2)

Post by dlehrapsnack »

Can the mods move this to the Middle School section?
Srinath Iyer
Smith Middle
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

dlehrapsnack wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:57 pm Can the mods move this to the Middle School section?
I got you! I hope your event goes well!
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
dlehrapsnack
Lulu

Post by dlehrapsnack »

Just to clarify, the original field cap will be 16 teams. If we have higher demand, and more readers, then I will boost the field cap to 24 teams.
Srinath Iyer
Smith Middle
dlehrapsnack
Lulu

Post by dlehrapsnack »

Due to the high demand in this tournament, we have decided to increase the field cap to 24 teams. If you all are interested in playing, please register, and if you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]
Srinath Iyer
Smith Middle
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

I don't see anything about the date in the post. Maybe I missed it, but can you clarify when it is?

Edit: Nevermind, it was in the first sentence. June 14.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
dlehrapsnack
Lulu

Post by dlehrapsnack »

Thanks to huge demand from the quiz bowl community, we've reached our 24 team field cap. If you're interested, please sign up in the waitlist section. We will consider boosting the field cap to 30 teams, but only if more teams are interested. Thanks for all of the support!
Srinath Iyer
Smith Middle
thequizbowler123
Kimahri

Post by thequizbowler123 »

what is the minimum # of teams we need for the cap to go up to 30?

User was reminded to enable a signature --Mgmt.
dlehrapsnack
Lulu

Post by dlehrapsnack »

This tournament happened on 6/14/20! Nearly 100 players from 24 teams competed. In 3rd place, 'What if Jello Biafra Actually got Elected' had a record of 8-2, In 2nd place were 'The Churchillians' with a record of 9-1, and in 1st place were the 'Gang of the Gswizz' with a record of 10-0.

We had 18 players score over 50ppg. In addition, we had 4 players score over 100ppg who were Tate Osborne (103ppg), Charles Young (116.5ppg), Arin Parsa (160ppg), and Rohan Ganeshan (167ppg)! Great job to all players! Stats can be found here.

A shoutout to all of our staff, we couldn't have done it without you! Thank you for being patient and helping us through out the process!

Well, that's all we have to say, and once again, thank you all for the support!
Srinath Iyer
Smith Middle