Middle School Online Charity Tournament(RAFT)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Rohangeo
Lulu

Middle School Online Charity Tournament(RAFT)

Post by Rohangeo »

I am grateful and ecstatic to announce the Middle School Online Charity Tournament! This tournament will be held a week and one day after the Online Middle School Tournament making this tournament being held on May 10th. All profits for this tournament will go towards my fund for COVID-19 relief.

Eligibility:
All Middle Schoolers are allowed to compete in this tournament. Since the question set in this tournament will be harder than WAIT, we will make this tournament Semi Open. This means that open/chimera teams are allowed but teams that are playing closed (meaning their own school) will pay a less fee than the former. This means that teams can consist of players from different schools but they will have to pay a higher fee than teams which consist of players from the same school.

The Questions:
This tournament will be using the set named RAFT. The target difficulty of this set is Regular High School, which will make it about the difficulty of an NAQT IS set and harder than the MSNCT playoffs. If you would like to see more about the set, here is the given distribution and crew.

The Time and the Format:
RAFT has 14 available packets, meaning that we are planning to play a single game round robin and a finals to follow. Depending on the field size, I will change the format of the tournament accordingly. The tournament will begin at 10 AM EST and 9 AM CST, you can do the math from there. Regarding the format this tournament will be Tossups Only so we can keep the flow of the tournament quick and calm. Fees for this tournament will be 60 dollars for a closed team and 70 dollars for an open team. Each match will consist of 20 tossups.
The tournament will run through discord. Please make sure to have a discord account before the tournament. If you have any problems I would be glad to help out.

Cheating:
Yes there have been a couple cases of cheating especially on online tournaments in the past. Note that I wish the players of this tournament to have the utmost honesty and integrity. I will ask the moderators to keep an eye out to all players for suspicious activities. Just do not cheat, have a good time playing Quiz Bowl, and the tournament will run very well. Please play with honesty and good intentions.

Staffing:
I would love some staff for this tournament! If you are interested sign up on the spreadsheet or let me know via email in advance.

To sign up for the tournament, use the given spreadsheet found here. You can also email me at [email protected] to register and I will transfer to the spreadsheet.
Last edited by Rohangeo on Tue May 05, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rohan Ganeshan

Quest Academy '20, Buffalo Grove HS '24
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Middle School Online Charity Tournament(RAFT)

Post by CPiGuy »

Could the mods move this to the middle school section?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Done.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
HermogenesVI
Kimahri

Post by HermogenesVI »

How is paying going to work? Venmo? PayPal?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan H
University Laboratory High School '24
Rohangeo
Lulu

Post by Rohangeo »

Due to fundraising restrictions from our school, the tournament has been renamed to the Middle School Online Charity Tournament or MSOCT. This does not affect any details or the questions or the goal I am doing this tournament for.

Sincerely,
Rohan G
Rohan Ganeshan

Quest Academy '20, Buffalo Grove HS '24