Doing well

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
gtag
Lulu

Doing well

Post by gtag »

Hi. My name is George Tagtmeier and I am the captain for Alcuin School in Dallas. I was wondering if anyone had advice for negging less, doing better on bonuses( we average less than 10 PPB), and what packets to read. I have one other teammate, and here is a link to my stats from my two previous tournaments. https://www.naqt.com/stats/school/resul ... g_id=97177
george, unaffiliated
Gae Bulg
Lulu

Re: Doing well

Post by Gae Bulg »

At the middle school level, you can get considerably good by taking note of every question you hear (even the ones you get) and looking them up afterwards. As for negging habits, try to change your mindset so that you only buzz when you're at least 80% sure of the answer; most "shot in the dark" buzzes will only lead to negs and frustration. Your negs will also tend to get more scarce as you become more knowledgeable and confident. With practice and patience, you should be able to cut down those negs and start putting up some great statlines. Best of luck!
Danny Kim
Fremd '21
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Doing well

Post by AKKOLADE »

If you study packets, assuming you remember all information within them, you should be able to convert a lot of tossups by the for ten points mark, and ten and twenty most bonuses. If it’s just the two of you, have a discussion about what categories interest you and divvy them between the two of you. You will do far better learning about something that you like than something you do not.

Long term, do not only study packets. You’ll need to expand your study material to become elite. Read books, articles, etc.

Be patient and persistent.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator