Starting a new team in the west

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
cwt421
Kimahri

Starting a new team in the west

Post by cwt421 »

I'm currently a freshman in college and I'm trying to create a quizbowl team at my college in Oregon. I did quizbowl back in high school all four years when I lived on the east coast, but I know the quizbowl scene isn't as big in the west as it is in the east. Does anyone know much about the quiz bowl scene in states like Oregon, Washington, California, etc? Also, any advice on how to start a new team in general? Thanks!
Last edited by cwt421 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: Starting a new team in the west

Post by Smuttynose Island »

cwt421 wrote:I'm currently a freshman in college and I'm trying to create a quizbowl team at my college in Oregon. I did quizbowl back in high school all four years when I lived on the east coast, but I know the quizbowl scene isn't as big in the west as it is in the east. Does anyone know much about the quiz bowl scene in states like Oregon, Washington, California, etc? Also, any advice on how to states a new team in general? Thanks!

User was reminded to enable a signature
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest! As you mentioned, the Pacific Northwest circuit is currently quite small. There are however teams at UWash, Boise and the University of Oregon. Due to the circuit's small size only 1 or 2 in person tournaments are run each term, typically by UWash. In fact, a mirror of Terrapin is being held there this weekend. The 2 or 3 Skype tournaments that are run each year make up the rest of the Pacific Northwest schedule.

Which university do you go to? If it is UO, then you should private message me about playing for the UO team. If you go elsewhere, then you should still contact me about possibly carpooling to UWash and California tournaments.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

BYU also has a team now, and I am in contact with some people at Reed. They were going to join the circuit this year, but something happened. They were non-responsive for months at the end of last semester, but reached out to me recently. I'm hoping that they'll join us next year.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

As a native Oregonian but not a current inhabitant, it's always struck me as rather strange that, considering the high concentration of colleges in northwest Oregon and western Washington, there's never been much of a hint of a real college circuit. Some of the problems, I suppose, have to deal with the patchy nature of organized quizbowl in the region beyond the purely local level (at least, as I remember it).
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14