North East Quizbowl Scene

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
mrh98
Kimahri

North East Quizbowl Scene

Post by mrh98 »

Hi, I'm a freshman at Bates College this year and I am really interested in starting a quizbowl team. I know there is some interest among other people here in a team, but my question is are there tournaments nearby that we can compete in? The closest tournament I've found so far is just over four hours away, and although it's possible, it doesn't seem ideal, especially for new players who are unsure if they want to do this or not. Any tips on getting started and what other team are in the North East?
Michael Hartnett, Bates College
Golran
Auron

Re: North East Quizbowl Scene

Post by Golran »

Welcome to the forums! There are a number of active New England teams including quite a few in the Boston area. A tournament that may be of interest is the Novice tournament at UConn on 10/22, which should be a great friendly intro for your team. You can also look through the announcements on this board to see other events in the area.

Sadly, Maine is very far north, so you'll be driving quite a bit to get to any events - Boston is probably going to be the closest you can get.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
alexdz
Rikku

Re: North East Quizbowl Scene

Post by alexdz »

Four hours isn't great by any means, but don't let that deter you from getting something started. Teams in the midwest can make trips of 6-7 hours sometimes and are still able to recruit willing players.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present