"Best" First Buzzer System?

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
The Diapir King
Lulu

"Best" First Buzzer System?

Post by The Diapir King »

What's a good, relatively cheap system? The cheapest thing I can find is battery powered & has automatic reset, which seems like it would be awful for competition. I've also looked at the Officiator and SVBZ's systems, but we're a few fundraisers away from being able to afford those so I thought I should check with the community here to see if anything else is reliable/cheap/available.

(Forgive me if I'm throwing this in the wrong forum, but as I'm looking to buy the first buzzer set for my new(ish) collegiate team, I figured this would be the place to go. (I also couldn't find a recent discussion - the most recent seemed to be from 2006, so I'm not sure how much of that information is applicable))
Minda Moe
They/Them/Theirs or He/Him/His, whatever floats our collective boats
freelance Old
UC Davis '18
St. Monica Catholic HS '14
fett0001
Tidus

Re: "Best" First Buzzer System?

Post by fett0001 »

You might want to take a look at PACEBuzz: viewtopic.php?f=123&t=18407&p=313451&hi ... zz#p313451
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

If you want to bring your buzzer to tournaments - and not just practice - you'll need to shell out the money for at least an Anderson (SVBZ's are not very good). The Andersons with a hand-held box are the holy grail of buzzers, imo.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Cody wrote:If you want to bring your buzzer to tournaments - and not just practice - you'll need to shell out the money for at least an Anderson (SVBZ's are not very good). The Andersons with a hand-held box are the holy grail of buzzers, imo.
Yeah I am a big fan of the Anderson buzzers. They're cheap, easy to set up, and pretty reliable.

But for practice situations PACEBuzz can be a good option (it's what we use at UW practices).
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
mjoy
Lulu

Post by mjoy »

Cody wrote:The Andersons with a hand-held box are the holy grail of buzzers, imo.
Another vote for Andersons here. We have five of them, and have had really good response from them when we've needed replacement parts.

Somehow I missed the table-top box sets in the past (http://www.andersonbuzzersystems.com/tabletop.html). We have the handheld buzzers. The table-top box would eliminate the issue of "who buzzed in first" because of the light on the box. But why are they cheaper? Do the table-top boxes tend to break or malfunction?
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

mjoy wrote:
Cody wrote:The Andersons with a hand-held box are the holy grail of buzzers, imo.
Another vote for Andersons here. We have five of them, and have had really good response from them when we've needed replacement parts.

Somehow I missed the table-top box sets in the past (http://www.andersonbuzzersystems.com/tabletop.html). We have the handheld buzzers. The table-top box would eliminate the issue of "who buzzed in first" because of the light on the box. But why are they cheaper? Do the table-top boxes tend to break or malfunction?
Nope; those are the ones we have four of!
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Cody wrote:
mjoy wrote:

Nope; those are the ones we have four of!
These are the best. Easiest thing in the universe to set up!
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016