The West

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
JasonisFreng
Lulu

The West

Post by JasonisFreng »

More specifically the Mountain West. I was just curious what the status on Quiz Bowl was out here. I am from a new team at the University of Colorado and as far as I know there is almost no quiz bowl structure in the state. I was wondering if anyone from this general region including Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wyoming, Kansas, New Mexico, and Utah has any NAQT linkings?
Mountain Range High School Quiz Bowl Captain 2011-2013, Westminster, CO
Nothing 2013-2016
Quiz Bowl at the University of Colorado-Boulder President 2016-2017, Boulder, CO
;)
https://sites.google.com/site/cutriviabuffs/
njsbling
Rikku

Re: The West

Post by njsbling »

The only active college team (that I am aware of) in Colorado is UC Boulder. There are a couple of former Grand Junction players who are currently at University of Denver but due to there not being m(any) tournaments within a reasonable driving distance they haven't played any college tournaments. Once more high school teams start playing good quiz bowl they will (hopefully) end up starting teams at colleges in Colorado.

BYU has had a team in the past few years but as of now I don't think they are active.

I'm not aware of any active college teams in Wyoming or Nebraska.

There is an active team at New Mexico State in Las Cruces (former Stanford/Berkeley/NYU player Yogesh Raut started a team in 2013).

There are many active college teams in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. The results from last year's TX SCT are here and the results from last year's OK+KS SCT are here
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

I don't know of any teams in the Rocky Mountain part of the US that are active, aside from, maybe (big maybe), New Mexico State. Generally Texas and Louisiana schools form a "Texas Region" and schools like us from Oklahoma, along with Kansas schools join Missouri and Arkansas and form a "Lower Midwest/Great Plains Region". I think this is mostly because there have never been teams in the Rockies.
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
Coach, Murray State College (OK)
Former Coach, Coalgate Schools (OK)
Curriculum Director, Oklahoma Quizbowl Camps
JasonisFreng
Lulu

Post by JasonisFreng »

That's a shame. I'll reach out to BYU as it is probably the most reasonably close school without an established circuit in its state and see what they know.
Nothing 2013-2016
Quiz Bowl at the University of Colorado-Boulder President 2016-2017, Boulder, CO
;)
JasonisFreng
Lulu

Post by JasonisFreng »

njsbling wrote:There are a couple of former Grand Junction players who are currently at University of Denver but due to there not being m(any) tournaments within a reasonable driving distance they haven't played any college tournaments.
You don't happen to have any contact info or names?
Nothing 2013-2016
;)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The 2013 edition of the NAQT entering freshmen contact list has some college destinations for Grand Junction quizbowl alumni.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You could also try contacting the coach at Grand Junction, who will hopefully put you in touch with other schools too.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:The 2013 edition of the NAQT entering freshmen contact list has some college destinations for Grand Junction quizbowl alumni.
I talked to Greta recently (she was abroad for a while). She is not aware of there being an active team (her brother Michael is no longer involved and is also not aware of there being a team either). The last time BYU played was 2013 ACF Fall @ Boise State. Try contacting [email protected] (I'm not sure who currently controls the account.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

I may be able to revive the Boise State team this year. Denver's a bit of a hike for us (but not a whole lot more than Seattle or Portland). Keep me informed.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
JasonisFreng
Lulu

Post by JasonisFreng »

tiwonge wrote:I may be able to revive the Boise State team this year. Denver's a bit of a hike for us (but not a whole lot more than Seattle or Portland). Keep me informed.
Do it man. Be informed we have an active club here and would love to build the network in this part of the country.
Nothing 2013-2016
;)
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

JasonisFreng wrote:
tiwonge wrote:I may be able to revive the Boise State team this year. Denver's a bit of a hike for us (but not a whole lot more than Seattle or Portland). Keep me informed.
Do it man. Be informed we have an active club here and would love to build the network in this part of the country.
My initial recruitment turned up about 7-8 interested students. Enough of those might stick to get a team formed. It's still a long hike to Denver, though, but keep us in the loop. (In years past, we needed about a 4 week lead time to get forms filled out for reimbursement, so at least that much lead time would be appreciated.)
Member, PACE
JasonisFreng
Lulu

Post by JasonisFreng »

tiwonge wrote:
JasonisFreng wrote:
My initial recruitment turned up about 7-8 interested students. Enough of those might stick to get a team formed. It's still a long hike to Denver, though, but keep us in the loop. (In years past, we needed about a 4 week lead time to get forms filled out for reimbursement, so at least that much lead time would be appreciated.)
Of course! Look forward to hopefully competing together!
Nothing 2013-2016
;)
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

BYU appears to have something of an active team right now. Their facebook group is active and advertising practice times & locations.
Member, PACE
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

BYU has an active team. We have Skype-scrimmaged them.

If we ever host a tournament here at Boise State, I'm sure they'll come up to play. (I'm hoping to host an SCT, or, failing that, the MUT.)

Andrew Hart has asked them if they'd be interested in hosting a Rocky Mountain mirror of ACF Regional, so they might try to reach out to you about that, if they decide to do so.
Member, PACE