Brandeis Quiz Bowl Team - We're back!

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
DeisQBT Jacob
Kimahri

Brandeis Quiz Bowl Team - We're back!

Post by DeisQBT Jacob »

Hello! My name is Jacob, and I'm the president of the newly re-founded Brandeis Quiz Bowl Team out of Waltham, MA (just outside of Boston)

From what I've come to understand our team was quite good and active a few years ago. Unfortunately the members largely graduated and the team was eventually labeled defunct by the university, thus the recognition and charter were lost. After quite a bit of effort and a number of organizational meetings, the new team has written a constitution, been recognized as a club, chartered (i.e. eligible for funding), and elected a group of super-excited people to manage things on the administrative side. We've got about 40 active members total!

Anyway, we wanted to let area teams (and beyond) know that we're back and ready to play, and probably aiming to attend a couple of tournaments next semester (Fall 2015.) We would definitely like some guidance as to which tournaments to look at, good practice methods, etc., so if anyone has anything to suggest or would be willing to chat in some detail, the entire team would be appreciative!
Jacob Edelman
Brandeis
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Brandeis Quiz Bowl Team - We're back!

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Hey Jacob, Doug Yetman is getting ready to start an M.A. at Brandeis (courtesy of this thread). I think he can help answer a lot of the questions you have.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Welcome back! I was sad to see the last incarnation of the Brandeis team fall, and while I'm no longer in the Northeast, I'd be glad to advise by email if you run into trouble. There are plenty of team captains and prominent players from other Northeast teams such as Columbia, Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, and MIT on these boards, all of whom I'm sure are glad to have another large team in the region and would be able to provide more immediate advice on getting active in the area's events.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I was Brandeis's club president from 2006-2008 and would be happy to answer by email or PM if you have any questions. Like Matt, I'm not located in the northeast anymore, but I may have some useful knowledge, so feel free to reach out.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF