Looking for other teams in Indiana

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Freedomsunshine
Kimahri

Looking for other teams in Indiana

Post by Freedomsunshine »

Hello, I'm a freshman at Butler University in Indianapolis, and I'm currently filling out the paperwork to start a new team here (to be active next year, hopefully). In my pursuit of this I've found that it may be helpful to have another team nearby to contact for advice, and/or to use as an example when I present my case to our administration (to get our club made official). If anyone has any suggestions or knows of a team in the area, I'd love some help/advice!
-B. Quinn McKenzie, Butler University '18
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Looking for other teams in Indiana

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Purdue and Notre Dame have active teams. You're in a pretty good location with several active teams in all of Indiana's neighboring states as well.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Check www.inqblots.org for the high school circuit in the state. Also, you should enable a signature :)
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
squash
Kimahri

Post by squash »

Hello!
I'm the current president of the club here at Notre Dame. We're relatively small but have grown to about 10-15 regularly attending members this year. As an official university club, we deal directly with the Student Activities Office to organize events and funding- I'm familiar with all the basics of organizing group travel to tournaments in the surrounding region as well as campus competitions, recruiting, and fundraising. It's been awhile since we've mirrored an actual tournament but if you need any other advice just let me know, I'd be happy to help!
Sara Quashnie
University of Notre Dame '15
Freedomsunshine
Kimahri

Post by Freedomsunshine »

Thank you for the advice and offers of support! It's wonderful to know that there's such a thriving community around us!
-B. Quinn McKenzie, Butler University '18
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

It's hard to imagine a better location to be a quizbowl team than central Indiana. You're close to so many centers of college quizbowl: Chicago, Urbana-Champaign, and Ann Arbor are all within a reasonable drive. Geography is on your side as you try to establish a program.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:It's hard to imagine a better location to be a quizbowl team than central Indiana. You're close to so many centers of college quizbowl: Chicago, Urbana-Champaign, and Ann Arbor are all within a reasonable drive. Geography is on your side as you try to establish a program.
What Bruce said is accurate, though I think Ohio State and Louisville are both closer to you than U Michigan. You should have no problem finding tournaments to play.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15