On Boston College

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
jmarvin_
Wakka

On Boston College

Post by jmarvin_ »

Hello all- I will be attending Boston College starting this fall, and am excited to play collegiate quizbowl. I understand it is relatively early to begin pondering the events of next school-year, but I am curious; I was wondering if anyone around Boston, or anyone, really, is entirely sure if there is currently a team, or even the revivable remnants of one, at Boston College. I can't find anything except a team which seems to have quickly abandoned Penn Bowl at MIT last fall, one which hasn't appeared anywhere else (as far as I can tell) but did have a buzzer system.

If there isn't anything, currently, I will definitely be looking to create a new team, one much more serious than the infamous Boston College of yore (or so I have read), and desire eventually to host high-school tournaments. As someone who played for years on the periphery of the New England circuit (as my home state of New Hampshire is dominated by Academic Hallmarks rubbish, and therefore we could only play real quizbowl by trekking over to Vermont or down to Massachusetts), I desire greatly to expand the growing high-school game in the area. I know I would've given a lot to have more serious, pyramidal tournaments around during my time.

Thanks in advance, everyone; I'm eager to start playing the circuit next year!
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
t-bar
Tidus

Re: On Boston College

Post by t-bar »

This is great to hear! I sent John my contact information for Marissa Manhart, the last known contact person for the BC quizbowl team. It would be awesome to have another active team in the Boston area.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
jmarvin_
Wakka

Re: On Boston College

Post by jmarvin_ »

Thanks, Stephen- I contacted Marissa and learned that, while BC's quiz bowl team is not very active right now (on the non-trash side of things), the student organization is still extant, official, and open to academic players joining and using both their buzzers and funding to play in ACF/NAQT/etc tournaments. So, expect to see a Boston College team around the New England circuit next year, if not further!
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018