New Team - Cedarville University in Ohio

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Jabie77
Kimahri

New Team - Cedarville University in Ohio

Post by Jabie77 »

Hello everybody, I just recently founded a trivia organization at Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio. The University is located about halfway between Columbus and Dayton. As for me, I went to high school at Poland Seminary High School in Mahoning County, and I consider myself at least an average trivia player. I loved trivia in high school, and the competition in Mahoning County was fierce! This academic year is almost over, but next year I plan to take a team or two to ACF Fall, and other tournaments depending on how that goes. I've got officers and funding already, so everything is ready for us to compete next year. I would love to be in contact with other college trivia teams nearby in Ohio, so feel free to contact me!
James Ethridge - [email protected]
Poland Seminary High School '13
Cedarville University '17
a bird
Wakka

Re: New Team - Cedarville University in Ohio

Post by a bird »

It's great to see a new team founded in Ohio! It sounds like you have things largely figured out, but I'd be happy to answer any questions if you need advice.

Louisville's MUT Mirror has yet to happen, so you might consider attending that if you want to start going to tournaments before next year.
Graham R.

Maryland
Jabie77
Kimahri

Post by Jabie77 »

Thanks for the reply! I'm planning on a advertising campaign for next year's incoming freshmen, and I also need to use the funding to purchase a buzzer system. So it's unlikely we'll be able to do anything big this year, as we also only have 2 more weeks before finals. On that note, does anyone have recommendations for buzzer systems? I'd like to keep it to around 200 dollars.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the forums! The Officiator from Anderson Enterprises is a good inexpensive buzzer system.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

If you have a car on campus, you can practice with us in Fairborn on Fridays at 6PM on the fourth floor of Millett Hall.
EDIT: I don't remember the exact room number, but if you come out of the elevator and turn right, it will be the first door on your left.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Jabie77
Kimahri

Post by Jabie77 »

Thanks for the information about that buzzer system, it seems like a good deal. And to Jonathan, I don't personally have a car, but others on the team do. I'll definitely take you up on that offer sometime, but it wouldn't be until September next academic year. I'll make sure to message you next year about it. I mean, it's only 25 minutes, so I'm sure the team members will up for it.
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Welcome to the board James! First, let me introduce you to the Ohio Quizbowl Forum. Second, do you happen to know Frank EnYart? He should be a freshman at Cedarville; he played quiz bowl at Sidney High School, he may be interested in working with you. Third, I'm going to school in Delaware, OH and plan on starting a team there, so if you want we can work some stuff out regarding starting up teams and hosting high school tournaments, i.e. practices/scrimmages.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Jabie77
Kimahri

Post by Jabie77 »

Thanks for information about that forum and about Frank, I sent him an email. Good luck on starting that team, and feel free to contact me about anything. We should certainly get the teams together sometime for an event.
bing10
Lulu

Post by bing10 »

Good to see another new Ohio team!

Like Jonathan said, Wright State practices Fridays at 6:00 in 401 Millett (and that will probably continue into Fall semester, as well). If you ever want to arrange scrimmages, just send me a message!
Emily Bingham
Northmont High School 2011
Wright State University
Jabie77
Kimahri

Post by Jabie77 »

Thanks Emily, I'll be sure to do that in the fall. I look forward to meeting all the college trivia players I can!