New Community College Team-WA State

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
rnelson22
Kimahri

New Community College Team-WA State

Post by rnelson22 »

Hi there!

I am interested in starting a QB Team at Grays Harbor College in Aberdeen, WA. We are a decent sized community college and I think I can round up at LEAST 10 people to start up a team.
Can anybody give me information on whether or not we need to register as an official team or when deadlines are for entering competitions? Also we were wondering how many other teams there are in Washington State. It would be silly to have a team if couldn't even compete :)

User reminded to add signature -mgmt
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: New Community College Team-WA State

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Howdy, and welcome to the boards!

I coach at Valencia College, a CC in Orlando. It would be great if you got a program going, and even greater if you were able to get some other CC's in the Pacific Northwest interested, too. If you have a faculty advisor or student activities director involved with your team, perhaps s/he could contact other colleges to see if they can find someone on faculty or staff who might want to get teams going at their schools.

There's no actual "registration" for our game outside of anything your own school requires for you to constitute as a club. Just read the "Announcements" section to find out about tournaments in your area. Meantime, read some of the other "New Collegiate Teams" threads here, as they have lots of good advice. And know that there's a national tournament structure for CCs in the spring through NAQT: http://naqt.com/cc/cc-quiz-bowl.html .

Good luck, and feel free to email me if you have any CC-specific questions: cborglum at valenciacollege dot edu.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Awesome!

Quizbowl in the Pacific Northwest is mainly confined to the University of Washington and Boise State. There have been teams at some point at Seattle U, Bellevue College, Reed College and Portland State, but I haven't heard much from them this year.

We run lots of tournaments at UW and would love to have you guys attend. In particular, we're hosting Collegiate Novice on October 5th, which would be an excellent first tournament for you to attend.

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can provide you lots more details.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

At some point, Portland Community College had been interested in joining the circuit. Maybe with another community college nearby, they might be convinced to do something with you.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams