Advice on Starting a New Team at Northeastern University

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
hanbarasu95
Lulu

Advice on Starting a New Team at Northeastern University

Post by hanbarasu95 »

Hi Guys!

I am going to be an incoming freshman at Northeastern University in Boston, MA and after participating in Quiz Bowl at the high school level for 3 years I am looking to start a team at Northeastern University. I've read the NAQT link on how to start a team, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to do and what to expect?

As a graduate of a school in New England, I am also looking to help bolster New England Quiz Bowl by hosting high school tournaments, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to write questions, and how to get recognized by NAQT/PACE?

In all honesty, any advice at all would be helpful!

Thanks!
Hari Anbarasu
------------------------
Sharon High School
Class of 2013
------------------------
Northeastern University
vinteuil
Auron

Re: Advice on Starting a New Team at Northeastern University

Post by vinteuil »

hanbarasu95 wrote:how to get recognized by NAQT/PACE?
To make your tournament an NAQT qualifier, you have to host it using NAQT questions. PACE is much more "lenient" inasmuch as you can use most any good set of quizbowl questions and have your teams playing at your tournament qualify for PACE.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Hi Hari,

I (and the rest of us in the northeast) would love to see a team start up at Northeastern. Shoot me an email and I'll get you in the loop on planning high school events in the region.

As for your own college team, I haven't started a team myself, but I'm told that one of the most effective ways to get people involved is to gather a few interested people and just go to a tournament. In Boston, that couldn't be easier--both MIT and Harvard are frequent tournament hosts. In particular, Harvard is hosting ACF Fall, the flagship easy event of the year, on November 2. You and your prospective teammates should definitely go to that tournament if you're looking for an introduction to college quizbowl.

Finally, if you'd like to get to know some more of the community, you guys are always welcome at MIT practices. We're nice people, I promise.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
hanbarasu95
Lulu

Post by hanbarasu95 »

Thanks guys! Stephen, I've sent you an email just with a few more questions so if you get an email from someone you don't recognize it might be mine :D
Hari Anbarasu
------------------------
Sharon High School
Class of 2013
------------------------
Northeastern University