Columbia College Chicago Quiz Bowl Team

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
QuizMan
Kimahri

Columbia College Chicago Quiz Bowl Team

Post by QuizMan »

Hi everybody, I am a junior at Columbia and I am trying to start a quiz bowl team. I have until the first week of April to get approved, otherwise I will try again.

For those who are in the Chicago area, would you be interested in competing against us if we are recognized? I have had a hard time recruiting members and a faculty adviser and am having an interest meeting today at 5:15.

Thank You.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: Columbia College Chicago Quiz Bowl Team

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

The Midwest is full of teams that would love to compete against you, and exactly none of them care whether or not you are recognized by your own school! The only reason to worry about the fact that you are not yet recognized by your school is if you think your school would take action against you for competing on behalf of the college/using the college's name without permission. Only a few schools are so villainous.

That said, you definitely want to seek recognition: it could get you goodies such as money, the ability to reserve rooms for practice, the ability to reserve rooms for hosting tournaments, etc. But as long as you have people willing to show up to a tournament, pay the entrance fee, write a packet (if necessary), nobody in the quizbowl community will stop you from competing.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Yes, we at the University of Chicago and, I'm sure, anyone else in the midwest would be happy to play against you. The Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament is being run at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign on April 20th; that would probably be a good one to start with

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14005

Let me know if you have any questions about the circuit, the rules, or whatever. You'd be welcome to come by our practices if you wanted to get a feel for it. We run then from 7.00-10.00 PM on Monday and Thursday evenings, though this week we're on spring break.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

I'll echo Marshall's comments about being happy to play against another Chicago based college team. Let me know if you are interested in attending the practices we have at UIC; we have them on Tuesdays from 5-7 (though not this week because of Spring Break).
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09