Louisiana community college team

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
kanspa
Kimahri

Louisiana community college team

Post by kanspa »

Hi everyone,

I recently became the coach of the quiz bowl team at Delgado Community College in New Orleans. We've traditionally only played in an Honors tournament that we set up every spring during our state Honors conference, but my team members have expressed interest in fielding an "official" team from the entire student body and competing more than just once a year.

I'm completely new at this (I never played in college), so would you folks suggest that we enter tournaments open to all colleges in our area, or should we only stick to community college tournaments? Also, I wasn't able to find a list of schools in our area that have teams - does a list like that exist so I can see what other Gulf South teams we'd be up against?

Thanks for your help,
- Kendra.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Kendra
Delgado Community College
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Louisiana community college team

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the forums!

Consider NAQT's community college program for spring 2014; there should be a Mississippi sectional site that would be convenient for your team.

The Tulane team should be along shortly to fill you in on college tournaments in your area; one that might be a good option for this spring is the University of Alabama's mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Hi Kendra. You guys are fortunate in that the most active college club in the state (Tulane) is just a few miles away. You may want to contact Ryan McLaren (jrynmac -at- gmail.com) to see about holding joint practices.

ULL also has a team, though they are less active. La Tech is also in the process of forming a team, though of course they are much further away.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Houston is also very far away, but Rice often hosts tournaments, and we're always welcome to have teams from Louisiana.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)