Hosting Guide?

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
marnold
Tidus

Hosting Guide?

Post by marnold »

Has quizbowl produced something systematic instructing people how to host a college tournament? If so, it should be easier to find. There's one for high school tournaments on the wiki but lots of it is irrelevant for college tournaments and I don't see any relevant threads in the "Best of the Best" section.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Hosting Guide?

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm planning on writing some sort of guide while hosting UK's upcoming high school tournament; I realize this ignores your "there's currently only high school guides" point, but I think it'd probably be easily adaptable for someone to write one for college tourneys.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

There's a dire need for this type of thing. I use a checklist when I host events. I'll post it in this thread when I get a chance.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'll try to write something up on behalf of ACF, too.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

I am 75% done with a Tournament Hosting Guide that's designed to be exhaustively comprehensive. It's targeted towards HS competitions, but with a few modifications it should work for college too. If I get the time, I may go back and add some more college-specific stuff too.

Please, feel free to add comments or suggest improvements. I'm sure I've forgotten some things and the discussion of scheduling in particular probably could be better. I also need to work on internal links and such (maybe adding a checklist at each step), but I think this is a good beginning.

One of the key things that I've wanted to add on to the old Berkeley Guide is a focus on contingencies--what should you do when things go wrong? What back-up plans do you need to have in case things happen? I also think PR and getting the word out to more teams needs a bit more discussion than just emailing the Yahoo quizbowl list.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Hey, here is a tournament checklist Bryn Reinecke wrote that has saved my life on several occasions. It's no substitute for a comprehensive tournament directing guide, but if it's the night before the tournament and you are trying to quickly cover your bases, you could do worse than this. Some of these things are more optional than others. Some of these things may seem like common sense, but I've seen TDs botch every one of them. Enjoy!

Tournament Direction Checklist

Pre-tournament:

Obtain contact info for teams
Have room reservations printed out
Have the number of the campus police to open the building and rooms in case they're locked
Print scoresheets
Print schedules
Print receipts
Print rules sheets
Print a restaurant guide
Bring schedules and back up situation schedules
Email the teams with time, location, and parking situation on Thursday or Friday before
Bring a printer and laptops
Get trophy and book prizes
Download SQBS
Bring flash drives
Get the questions

Morning of the tournament:

Get donuts, juice, plates, and cups
Set up the chairs in the rooms
Hang up a poster directing teams to tournament site and war room

During the tournament:

Briefly go over rules with staffers
Give out restaurant guide