New Team at CSU Long Beach?

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Jaystriker7
Kimahri

New Team at CSU Long Beach?

Post by Jaystriker7 »

Hey all, I am a student at California State University, Long Beach (it's a port town in the southern LA area). I competed on the Stevenson High School team in the Chicago area during my freshman year in high school, but I've been inactive since.

I've been considering beginning a team at my university. I don't know too much about the resources I require to begin such a team, or about other teams in the Los Angeles area that may be active; it is to my understanding that Scholastic Bowl is much more active in the east, and that it is very different from California quizbowl. Can anyone provide me with a sense of direction of any kind? Links, people to contact and any advice (from experiential or official sources alike) would help.

User reminded to add signature. -mgmt
Andrew S.
2006-08 Daniel Wright Junior High School Scholastic Bowl (IL)
2008-09 Adlai E. Stevenson High School Scholastic Bowl (IL)
2012- California State University, Long Beach (team pending)
deserto
Wakka

Re: New Team at CSU Long Beach?

Post by deserto »

NAQT has an in-depth guide to starting a college team.

So. Cal teams who have attended tournaments within the last year include UCSD, UCLA, the Claremont Colleges, Cal. Tech., UC-Riverside, UC-Irvine, and maybe some others (I only looked at stats for a few tournaments); teams from ASU and Berkeley also made the trip to So. Cal. for tournaments last year. So, there is apparently a fairly active circuit in your school's region. Auroni Gupta and Chris Chiego at UCSD and Dwight Wynne at UC-Irvine, if they are all still at said schools, which I believe they are, might be helpful people to contact.

Quizbowl, at least the kind endorsed by most people on this board, is played similarly on the east and west coasts. There should be a number of NAQT, ACF, and house-written tournaments hosted within a couple hours' driving distance of you this year. QB circuits may be more concentrated and intense in the east, but that should not hinder you from forming a team and attending several quality tournaments out in So. Cal.

Good luck!
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
njsbling
Rikku

Re: New Team at CSU Long Beach?

Post by njsbling »

Hello Andrew, I know someone who will be attending CSU Long Beach in the Fall and is interested in starting a Quiz Bowl program there. Are you still interested?
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com