Help with writing think tankers/poli sci focused packet

Old college threads.
Cowgoesmoo2
Kimahri

Help with writing think tankers/poli sci focused packet

Post by Cowgoesmoo2 »

Social sciences graduate here.

Currently a think tank intern and wanted to host a round of trivia with my fellow interns. But I realized that typical trivia is remarkably American-centric, and this really does not work well with the team, which is very international. People range from South America to London to the US, so it's only fair to create a balanced packet that people in the world in this field of study could be expected to know. For instance, our US packets love Greek history and mythology, European renaissance art and that's about as internationally-balanced as it gets.

I was thinking of just trying to create my own think tankers' packet with those types of related questions but was wondering if there are any question-writing utilities and helpful things. For instance I feel like it could be tough to judge what's fairly considered difficult or moderately difficult.

Would be great to collaborate with others who are interested on writing this too, because I couldn't collaborate with my own team cause then they'd know the questions.

Examples of question topics I was thinking about
Name the vaccine: JJ, AstraZeneca, Sinovac, Sputnik V, etc.

Neoliberal economic policy

Bolsonaro

Israel-Palestine events

Some current events questions
Emhyr
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Help with writing think tankers/poli sci focused packet

Post by Ciorwrong »

Instead of writing a whole new packet for this, have you considered adapting questions from something like a Mike Bentley packet or 2016's Christmas Present or Thought Monstrosity? I've written a lot of social science questions over the years--including in the fields of IR and political science--and well-researched questions take a ton of time to write. If you are trying to construct trivia questions for a non-quizbowl audience, I do not see the issue with using old questions from the archive unless you think your audience scours the packet archive for all the Kenneth Waltz questions or whatever. If you insist on new questions--trivia style or qb style--I'd be happy to contribute a few in econ, political theory, etc. but I think there is a lot of questions you can already use for this purpose.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired