The Geography Front - Exhibition Packet Playtest

Old college threads.
castrioti
Lulu

The Geography Front - Exhibition Packet Playtest

Post by castrioti »

All,

As requested I will be offering the reading of an exhibition packet for my TBA tournament, the Geography Front, on Saturday April 3, 2021 at 9:00AM Mountain Standard Time. I will use a special Discord link for this reading. PM me on this site with the e-mail ID you intend to use for the link if you are interested.

The distribution of this packet and its difficulty are intended to exemplify the distribution and difficulty of the actual tournament. The average difficulty will lie between ACF Regionals and Nationals, but will have easier answers and also some expansionist answers. The distribution is land area, population and diversity weighted to have a "world" focus.

Wesley
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

"I have not brought you liberty, I have found it here among you" --George Castrioti, upon returning to Kruje, 1443
castrioti
Lulu

Re: The Geography Front - Exhibition Packet Playtest

Post by castrioti »

All,

Thank you for expressing interest. We have a quorum, but could always use more. I've replied to each of you that has expressed interest in a PM with the Discord link, and will send a final e-mail out tomorrow night to each of you. If you don't have the link, let me know. I will send the Buzzin Live code Saturday morning.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

"I have not brought you liberty, I have found it here among you" --George Castrioti, upon returning to Kruje, 1443
castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

The first packet of the Geography Front was read this morning, with the following results.

Michael Coates 0
Josh Rubel 0
Min Kanh Phung 10
Alex Li 10
Victor Pavao 20
Stephen Eltinge 60
Daniel Ma 40
Max Yang 0
Nick Jensen 100
Conor 10
Alex Jenkins 30

Thank you all for participating, your feedback and play will help a ton in fine tuning what I have written. Feel free to comment on the questions, content and anything else you'd like to discuss. I'll post the packet, and then some comments and replies to questions already posed on Discord.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

All,

The questions from the exhibition packet are now posted at https://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/2612/.

Some thoughts:

First, I apologize to anyone who wanted to play who was confused by the announcement that the event would occur on Mountain Standard Time. I am glad I logged in early and was able to correct that confusion in time. I wonder if this is the first online open scrimmage held on Mountain Time?

First on the length of the tournament: I think that if this ends up being online it will need to expand to two days at an ideal read time of 45 minutes per packet on Discord. I would rather do that than split the tournament into separate events, as it was designed to cover the world at great depth and breadth, unless people who want to play start to have lots of scheduling conflicts.

Second, based on content, I tried to limit myself to a maximum one extra-disciplinary clue per question, it sounds like there is some demand for increasing that somewhat while still maintaining the "pure" geography focus. I should be finished writing by June and will see what else can be added.

Third, there was a lot of confusion surrounding things announced as "places," "regions," "locations," "landmasses," etc, and I will remove the ambiguity from those questions (the Piedmont, La Macarena, Guadalcanal, Jos Plateau and Great Basin questions seemed to be leading people unnecessarily astray).

Thanks for taking the time to playtest and offer feedback.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993