Not My Job: A Packet

Old college threads.
buffaloz1331
Wakka

Not My Job: A Packet

Post by buffaloz1331 »

After my last Laws and Treaties packet, I decided to write another packet. I put this together over the weekend, leading to what Matthew Siff called "bad questions that must have been enjoyable to write, and will be fun for someone who hears them." [I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist]. Anyways, the concept of this packet is that the answerlines are either famous people or people who could be tossed up at high school difficulty [regular difficulty to nationals], but the tossups are on aspects of their lives or careers that they are not known for -- examples [that are not in the packet] would be a tossup on Chinua Achebe's political career or on Vladimir Putin's sports prowess. This packet consists of 21 tossups of varying difficulty [mostly, I think, pretty hard] and no bonuses.

There is no real distribution, but there is a good mix of historical figures and more like "trash" or pop culture answerlines. I did keep the answerlines, for the most part, well within my target range [I don't think anything academic well exceeds something that could be tossed up at a national-level high school tournament], and the tossups are all under 1000 characters.

I was hoping to read this to the Discord at some point this week, perhaps around 9:30-10 eastern Tuesday or Wednesday.

As a note, I have tried my best to not make this a "misdirection" type packet -- all the indicators are either vague [this man, this woman, this person] or indicating what they are best known for.
Arthur Delot-Vilain
GDS '21
Yale '25
black lives matter
buffaloz1331
Wakka

Re: Not My Job: A Packet

Post by buffaloz1331 »

Update: my rather indecisive scheduling style has led to someone deciding they will read a packet tonight. I will plan on reading this at 9:45 PM, eastern time, on Wednesday, July 1st.
Arthur Delot-Vilain
GDS '21
Yale '25
black lives matter
buffaloz1331
Wakka

Re: Not My Job: A Packet

Post by buffaloz1331 »

Thanks to everyone who came to play this packet on the Discord! Some fantastic numbers [this packet was destroyed, I believe there were 3 10s the entire game] — I hope this was as fun to play as it was for me to write. Scores are below!

Nick Jensen 5
Matt Mitchell 30
IKD 40
Abhinav 15
Erik Christensen 20
John Lawrence 55
Walter 10
Mike Bentley 10
Pedro -10
Albert 25
Eric Wolfsberg -5
Tejas 30