25 toss ups and five visual packets

Old college threads.
TaylorH
Wakka

25 toss ups and five visual packets

Post by TaylorH »

I just found a packet on my computer I wrote for a UF quiz bowl party in August called "25 toss ups" and I would like to read it on the discord. These are mostly pop culture questions with a few goofy academic questions mixed in. In general its pretty accessible in difficulty but there are a few hard/vanity questions as well. I'd like to read this packet at 9 PM eastern on Wednesday, April 1st.

I also have five visual packets of mixed film, arts and misc. pop culture I'd like to have played by a wider audience. I'm not sure if this has been done before, but I might try uploading the slides as pictures one by one on the Discord. If anyone knows of a better way to do this, let me know. Tentatively, I'd like to read one of these immediately after the more traditional packet on Wednesday. Times for the other visual packets are TBH, but probably this Thursday or Friday.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
EricChang5
Lulu

Re: 25 toss ups and five visual packets

Post by EricChang5 »

There is an option on Discord that allows you to share your screen (Go Live) to present a pdf or presentation while in the voice channel. You could use that instead of posting each individual photo to save you some time. Of course, if you want to have the photos stay up for people to see them, then I think posting them is fine too!
Eric Chang (he/him)
Christiansburg High School '15
Virginia Tech '19 (B.S.) '24 (M.S.)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I've done a small playtest of different Eyes iterations using screensharing in video conferencing software (Skype for Business and maybe Teams). It's worked okay. Often these suites have a limit on the number of people who can join a videocall on the free tier, so you may want to look at that. Not sure what Discord's is or how that works. In any event, I suspect lag will be a bigger factor than when reading a regular tournament over Discord. If you can adjust the video settings to have it share a smaller resolution image that can help. Even janky things like lowering your monitor's resolution temporarily. Generally for a video tournament like this it's not really necessary to have a high-def image.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

There have been a number of Eyes packets read in the Discord before. Copying and pasting slides from the powerpoint presentation worked fine.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
The Story of a Head That Fell Off
Lulu

Post by The Story of a Head That Fell Off »

I can confirm that copy & paste from a powerpoint works for Discord readings, but obviously the backgrounds aren't copied so you need to announce the powermarks in text
Jeremy "JJ" Tsai
Rutgers 2016-2019 (President 2018-2019)
"Maryland" 2019-2021
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

I have culled my visual questions a bit and will be reading a packet of 45 TUs on Monday, 4/20 at 9 Eastern. Most questions are trash and art films, but there is also some misc. trash and painting thrown in as well.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Is there a Discord link to this?
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88