Wisdom Extracted Hybrid (4/3 @ 9 PM EST on Discord)

Old college threads.
EricChang5
Lulu

Wisdom Extracted Hybrid (4/3 @ 9 PM EST on Discord)

Post by EricChang5 »

Hello friends!

Some members of the VT and VCU teams and I have written 4 packets of 20 TUs each of collegiate regular-minus difficulty (I'd say definitely a little bit harder than ACF Fall but easier than EFT). I've read the set for some scrimmages of VT vs VCU and am willing to read the set again for the public. Just wanted to gauge the interest in this set. I would like to tentatively have only "washed-up" open players play (since I think there are certainly less opportunities for them, even now) and potentially run it again later for anyone else, but if we don't get enough interest for that, then I am definitely fine with having anyone play!

Distribution: (more or less modeled from Ontario Hybrid)
10 - Academic
2 - History (1 - Western, 1 - World/Other)
2- Literature (0.5 each - long fiction/drama/poetry/other)
2- Science (1 each - Physics/Chem/Bio, 1 - Other)
2 - RMPSS (0.5 each - Religion/Myth/Philosophy/Social Science)
1.5 - Fine Arts (0.5 each - Audio/Visual/Other)
0.5 - Geo/Other (0.5 each)

10 - Trash (did my best to span across the decades, but slightly skewed towards 2010s-current)
1 - Sports (sorry we didn't have much interest in sports so we have skewed the distribution here)
2.5 - Music
2 - Movies
1.5 - TV
0.5 - Other Movies/TV/Netflix
1 - Video Games
0.5 - Trash lit/theater/musicals
0.5 - Internet
0.5 - Other

Time:
4/3 (Friday) at 9 PM EST on Discord.

Eligibility:
As a very-mediocre player that has since graduated, I would like to have some more sets/tournaments for "washed-up" open players. I understand that may be a very niche and small community, but I would like to see if that is a possibility! Again, like I said above, I can certainly read the set again if there is enough interest among other players that don't fit this category.

The "washed-up" definition of course is somewhat case-by-case but here is a solid definition for those curious:
1. You must not still be actively playing quizbowl for a collegiate/high school team.
2. You must not have been the leading scorer on a team that went to either collegiate national.
3. If you played for a team that finished in the top 10 of either national, you must have had the lowest PPG of anyone on that team.
4. If you have played 2 or fewer collegiate tournaments, you are automatically eligible.
5. Finally, you cannot have ever received any votes in any collegiate player poll.
Of course, if you are an open player that doesn't quite fit these criteria but still feel "washed-up" and want to play the set, just reach out to me!

DISCLAIMER:
I wrote/edited some of the set while I was recovering from my wisdom teeth surgery and on some pretty strong painkillers (hence the name), so some of the questions may be "interesting" but still fun! I am most certainly not the best writer or editor, but both the VT and VCU teams enjoyed the set a lot!
Last edited by EricChang5 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eric Chang (he/him)
Christiansburg High School '15
Virginia Tech '19 (B.S.) '24 (M.S.)
csheep
Wakka

Re: Wisdom Extracted Hybrid (TENTATIVE: 4/3 @ 9 PM EST on Discord)

Post by csheep »

Interested.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Yes please!
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Possibly interested, depending on format.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
EricChang5
Lulu

Post by EricChang5 »

ryanrosenberg wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:40 pm Possibly interested, depending on format.
If we get enough interest, I can set up a team formation sheet and have people make teams to make it more serious. Again, there are only 4 packets-worth of questions, so there is that, but if we get 4 teams-worth of players, it would work out perfectly! Otherwise, I'd imagine this being a sort of TU-shootout kinda gig.
Eric Chang (he/him)
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

hi
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Does it count as "being top scorer on a team that went to either nationals" if I solo'd ICT after getting a host bid?
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
EricChang5
Lulu

Post by EricChang5 »

ErikC wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:21 pm Does it count as "being top scorer on a team that went to either nationals" if I solo'd ICT after getting a host bid?
That sounds intense! But I would say you are probably safe to play the set! I'm going to have to see how the field of players end up to make sure we are within a "relatively similar" skill level. Once we get a few more people, I can look into forming a team sheet if you guys would prefer to have this be like a "small-scale tournament" or we can do some variation of 1-buzz per player (whether that be a straight shootout or maybe we have players cap out at a certain number of points). Definitely flexible with everyone's suggestions!
Eric Chang (he/him)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

You had me at washed-up.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

chinkan5
Kimahri

Post by chinkan5 »

Interested.
Chinmay Kansara
UIUC '15
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

Interested
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
EricChang5
Lulu

Re: Wisdom Extracted Hybrid (4/3 @ 9 PM EST on Discord)

Post by EricChang5 »

Ok I'm going to start reading at 10 PM EST today (unless there are some major objections but seeing none). I'll try to ping all the members that have expressed interest in the main quizbowl discord. For those who may not be in that discord (or just have no idea what I'm talking about), feel free to PM me or leave a reply below! Thanks guys!
Eric Chang (he/him)