PACE Coaches Conference - June 5, 2015

This is the holding pen for the best threads containing quiz bowl talk.
AKKOLADE
Sin

PACE Coaches Conference - June 5, 2015

Post by AKKOLADE »

The Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence is pleased to announce its first ever Coaches Conference, which will be held in conjunction with the 2015 National Scholastic Championship.

The Coaches Conference will be held at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, Virginia on Friday, June 5, 2015. The conference will start at 7 p.m. and last until 9 p.m. A number of discussions and presentations are being planed at this time; each will average approximately 15 minutes in length.

While the conference is obviously aimed at coaches, other people involved in the organization of quiz bowl teams at any level are welcome to attend and participate. There is no cost for admission.

Fred Morlan and Joe Nutter will be acting as event coordinator and host. They may be contacted at [email protected] and [email protected].
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: PACE Coaches Conference - June 5, 2015

Post by AKKOLADE »

List of presenters:

Julie Gittings, retired coach of State College Area High School. During her time coaching State College, Ms. Gittings won six PACE NSCs and two NAQT HSNCTs. Ms. Gittings will help head a round table discussion of how you can help your team improve.

Michael Laudermith, coach of Fenton High School. Mr. Laudermith is a highly respected coach and volunteer from Illinois. His teams at Fenton are often among the better teams in a very competitive state. Mr. Laudermith is also a very respected presenter regarding coaching in Illinois.

Eric Huff, retired coach of Paul M. Dorman High School. While coaching at Dorman, Huff helped guide them to national prominence with many great finishes at HSNCT and NSC, including the 2003 PACE NSC championship.

Max Schindler, current player for University of Chicago and former player for Ladue Horton Watkins High School. Schindler was part of the 2013 PACE NSC and 2013 NASAT winning teams. He was also part of Chicago's 3rd place team at this year's NAQT ICT and 2nd place at this year's ACF Nationals.

Joe Nutter, former player for Walnut Hills High School and Michigan State University

Eric Mukherjee, former player for Brown University and current player for the University of Penn

Mike Sorice, former player for UIUC
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If you're interested in attending the conference, please click here.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We're pleased to announce the first scheduled participant in the Coaches Conference: Ms. Julie Gittings, the former coach at State College Area High School. Ms. Gittings is a true legend of the game, having coached State College to eight pyramidal national championships.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

PACE is pleased to announce that Michael Laudermith, coach of Fenton High School, will be speaking at the coaches conference. Mr. Laudermith is a highly respected coach and volunteer from Illinois. His teams at Fenton are often among the better teams in a very competitive state. Mr. Laudermith is also well known for his presentations regarding coaching made at conferences in Illinois.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm in the middle of finals now, but I hope to have some more exciting announcements to make in the next couple of weeks!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm pleased to announce two more speakers at this year's Coaches Conference:

Eric Huff, former coach of Dorman. Huff helped maintain a strong program at Dorman for over a decade and is now working for the National History Bowl & Bee.

Max Schindler, formerly of Ladue and currently of University of Chicago. Schindler's one of the best players today and has excelled on both the high school and college level.

I'm also pleased to announce that the second hour of this (from 8-9 p.m.) will be devoted to helping players improve, and will be open to current players. Again, there is no kind of admission charge, so we'd be happy to have as many people to attend as possible.

If you are planning on attending, please use this form to sign up.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

While I unfortunately don't have time to do full bios for them, I wanted to quickly announce that Mike Sorice, Joe Nutter and Eric Mukherjee will all be speaking at the player-centric portion of the conference.
Fred Morlan
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Stefan HSQBRankovich wrote: Joe Nutter, former player for Walnut Hills High School and Ohio State University
[/b]
Joe wishes he could have played for OSU, when he attended Michigan State.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Ohio and Michigan are basically the same place.
Fred Morlan
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Is it possible for PACE to videotape this conference and post it online?
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm going to try to capture the audio of it. We'll see how that goes.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We will be hosting this in Lake Thoreau on the second floor of the hotel.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Here's the email I just sent out.
Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you for attending or volunteering for the conference! I'm very excited to see how this turns out, and I hope you all find it enjoyable and educational.

Here are a few notes I want to go over:

Schedule
Here is a rough schedule for the conference. I'm not going to knock the microphone out of anyone's hands at a particular time, but I'd like to try to keep things moving as well.

7:00-7:05ish p.m.: opening remarks
7:05-7:20: Michael Laudermith's presentation regarding coaching
7:20-7:30: Nicholas Karas speaks about recruiting teams
7:20-7:50: Q&A Session with Laudermith and Karas for follow-ups, and with Julie Gittings and Eric Huff for general coaching topics.
7:50-8:00: break
8:00-8:15: Max Schindler talks about improving as a player.
8:15-9:00: Discussion of improving as a player by the panel

The Players/Coaches Split
So, I obviously want to appeal to both groups here, but I just want to be clear about something here:

1) For the coaches portion, we aren't going to discuss player-centric subjects.
2) For the players portion, we aren't going to discuss coach-centric subjects.

Can coaches attend the players session? Sure! Vice versa? That's okay too. Which leads to my next point:

Room size
The room we are using is not terribly big - we're looking at about 30ish chairs, plus some standing room in the back. If you're really not interested in one of the two portions of the conference, please don't take a seat. I have 36 people signed up as of right now and am expecting some more to come in. We'll do our best to make this available to everyone.

Recording
I will be recording this for posting. I have two microphones. They won't be hooked up to the overhead PA system, so I'll ask everyone to speak up some while also speaking into the mic.

Cord length is a limiting factor, so if you have a question to ask, I will probably have you come forward to the front of the room.

Please note that if you choose to speak into the microphone, you're acquiescing to have your voice recorded and distributed online.

Also, please don't say anything stupid into a microphone. I've used Audacity enough to figure out that there is a record button and a stop button. Please don't make it any more complicated for me than it has to be.

That's about it. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing you all this evening!

Best,

Fred Morlan
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Stefan HSQBRankovich wrote:If you're interested in attending the conference, please click here.
Don't forget this important statement if you plan on attending!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Part one of the audio is now up at http://traffic.libsyn.com/qbcast/coache ... rence1.mp3 !
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Just curious as to how this went / was it well-attended / is this going to be an annual event at NSC? I think this is a great idea and hope that it can continue in the future.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Great Bustard wrote:Just curious as to how this went / was it well-attended / is this going to be an annual event at NSC? I think this is a great idea and hope that it can continue in the future.
About 50 people attended total, not counting the panelists.

I think this event went extremely well for a pilot run; in the 20 minutes or so that I was able to be in the room I heard some excellent words of wisdom that have almost certainly never been publicly available before from some of the most successful coaches in the game, and I think that the recording will be an excellent resource for coaches and players who want to "step their game up" for years to come. (Be aware that there is a lot of "dead air" as the microphone gets handed around.) It is my hope that the Coaches' Conference will become a yearly event, perhaps with a more focused theme and slightly different set of participants each year.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I was only there for about 20 minutes at the end, but those twenty minutes were fantastic. This absolutely should become a tradition.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I hope it will be an annual event! It honestly went better than I had even hoped. We probably did have about 50 people spread out over the two "sessions" we did. I hope it happens again next year, and every year after that.

(Re: dead air on the podcast: I'm sure there were some particularly long pauses, but I think all in all it probably came across as a fairly "real people talking" event? But maybe I'm wrong? I haven't got much feedback on how the podcasts actually sounded)
Fred Morlan