HELP US. 3 DAYS LEFT

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
NOoneReadsLermontov
Kimahri

HELP US. 3 DAYS LEFT

Post by NOoneReadsLermontov »

DEAR SOULS,
We have been notified a week prior that our state (Nevada) has issued an inaugural history bowl. We thought why not, and signed up for varsity. The thing is the bloody contest is hosted by a charter school
and they have been preparing for 2 months. THERE ARE 3 DAYS LEFT and we just realized that perhaps given to our complete lack of knowledge on format or study regimen we will be annihilated promptly. We are Homeschooled. We are rather bright and have extensive knowledge of all things literary and historical. HELP US. HELP US. HELP US. There is no community for such things in Nevada and we do so want to qualify for whatever comes after small town podonk academic slaughterhouse. So beautiful people do help the RAF(homeschool) arise and join the pantheon of the ascendant intelligentsia.

USER WAS REMINDED TO ADD A SIGNATURE.
Andrew RAF
cchiego
Yuna

Re: HELP US. 3 DAYS LEFT

Post by cchiego »

Your best bet under the time constraints that you have is to use either the Quizbowl DB or Protobowl (in a private room), set the questions to all history, and practice on those like crazy, taking notes of clues you don't know.

I would also note that just being a charter school (even a top charter school in Vegas!) doesn't mean much in quizbowl-style competitions. Success is all about how much you want to learn and practice. Unfortunately, Varsity Quiz doesn't prepare Vegas teams very well for the good questions like those used in history bowl and quizbowl in general.

The best thing you can do for your team (RAF?) and for all of Vegas in general in the future is to get schools to host quizbowl tournaments on good questions and to hopefully convince Varsity Quiz to use good quizbowl questions. If you just want to beat the much-vaunted charter schools, then practice on quizbowl questions, attend quizbowl tournaments, and you'll see improvement in no time.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
NOoneReadsLermontov
Kimahri

Dear chap, what the blooming do you mean with Vegas varsity Quiz? Is this a camp? (ANOTHER UNPRECENDENTED ADVANTAGE!!!), in addition we are rather irked that the competition will be using
set C questions, as it seems we do best with set B and A. We don't want this to end up being the second battle of the rote and buzzer, where every answer is blatant and leads to a final denouement where whoever repeated mindlessly banal American history most egregiously in the classroom is found triumphant? Does not set C exclude the higher caliber of art and literary history in which my comrades (I am team capitan!) are as fluent as fish in water. And what of the RAF? Tovarisch no big proponent of RED ARMY FACTION? well best to you and all.http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/postin ... =3&t=14215#
Andrew RAF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

bum bum bum
Last edited by heterodyne on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Also, if you're finding Set C questions too easy, I highly encourage you to come play some regular quizbowl competitions here in Southern California on good questions and against the best competition West of Texas. There's an upcoming tournament at Arcadia on March 23rd (<4 hours drive from Vegas) and another (with a novice division that you might be interested in) in San Diego on April 20th. I'm sure the tournament organizers of both would be happy to extend a significant travel discount to a new team driving from Vegas.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

cchiego wrote:There's an upcoming tournament at Arcadia on March 23rd (<4 hours drive from Vegas).... I'm sure the tournament organizers of both would be happy to extend a significant travel discount to a new team driving from Vegas.
I'd be happy to waive all Arcadia Carnal Embrace registration fees for any team >3 hours away, as long as they promise to come :party:
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Likewise, although I'm not in charge of YOLO I, I'm almost positive that at least a significant discount would be in order for a team travelling from Las Vegas.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
NOoneReadsLermontov
Kimahri

well we just finished. somehow we won first place in the bowl (nearly won varsity history bee), and its all chill. The RAF is now officially the champions of Nevada. Will be most likely going to arcadia on the 23rd. They were using set B not set so that makes it even more bloody brilliant. Thanks all, and Cheers!
Andrew RAF
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NOoneReadsLermontov wrote:we just realized that perhaps given to our complete lack of knowledge on format or study regimen we will be annihilated promptly.

Congratulations to Team RAF for winning the inaugural Nevada History Bowl!
NOoneReadsLermontov wrote:We are rather bright.
Also, rather entertaining.
NOoneReadsLermontov wrote: We do so want to qualify for whatever comes after small town podonk academic slaughterhouse.
See you at Nationals, and perhaps, Chicago Open Literature Doubles.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

NOoneReadsLermontov wrote:Will be most likely going to arcadia on the 23rd.
Sounds great! We'd always love to see new teams in the field. Sometimes the Los Angeles quiz bowl circuit feels lonely... :sad:

You can officially register for Arcadia's tournament by emailing us at [email protected] with your team name, and the number of members you expect to bring. Like my co-captain Jason stated, registration will be free.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
NOoneReadsLermontov
Kimahri

All of this sounds bloody awesome. But how do you sign up for the Chicago Open Literature Double, as there seems to be no links available online. In addition are there any other literary competitions in the states? Thanks!
Andrew RAF