NAQT Questions

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
MWYang
Lulu

NAQT Questions

Post by MWYang »

Although I've been playing quiz bowl for quite some time, I'm still not entirely sure of the difference between so-called NAQT "A" Packets and NAQT "B" Packets. Could somebody explain the difference between these two questions types, or tell me if there is a difference at all? Thanks!
Michael Yang
Valley Stream South High School
It's Academic Captain '11-'13
Class of 2013
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: NAQT Questions

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

A-Sets, more formally called Introductory Invitational Series, are quizbowl sets produced by NAQT with easier, shorter questions aimed primarily at new teams. NAQT also produces regular IS-sets for teams across the spectrum, but as far as I know these aren't called "B" sets and they don't produce anything by that name. Hope that helps!
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Matt has it exactly right.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
MWYang
Lulu

Post by MWYang »

So, do both types follow the pyramidal structure of questions (obscure reference to dead giveaway)? And also, what's the difference between a tournament that uses an A-Set or an IS-Set?

Thanks so much for the help!
Michael Yang
Valley Stream South High School
It's Academic Captain '11-'13
Class of 2013
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

MWYang wrote:So, do both types follow the pyramidal structure of questions (obscure reference to dead giveaway)? And also, what's the difference between a tournament that uses an A-Set or an IS-Set?

Both are pyramidal. A-sets have shorter tossups and are easier (they are designed for less experienced players). You can find samples of these different types here.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Howard
Yuna

Post by Howard »

MWYang wrote:So, do both types follow the pyramidal structure of questions (obscure reference to dead giveaway)? And also, what's the difference between a tournament that uses an A-Set or an IS-Set?

In my experience, the A-set questions begin with a slightly easier leadin and are more prone to sudden difficulty drop-off, but I believe the final (easiest) clues to be about the same. Jeff can speak better as to whether this is their intent.

As for the tournament itself, the only thing that potentially forces a change in the tournament structure is that the A-set has only 12 packets whereas a regular set has 15, so it has the potential of restricting the number of rounds in the tournament. Otherwise, there's little reason to change any of the tournament structure based on the type of packet used.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

IS-sets have 14 rounds now.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Ombudsman

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Howard wrote: In my experience, the A-set questions begin with a slightly easier leadin and are more prone to sudden difficulty drop-off, but I believe the final (easiest) clues to be about the same. Jeff can speak better as to whether this is their intent.
Ideally, the clues found in A-set questions should be easier across the board than regular IS. That is: the leadins are slightly easier (good), but the tossup answers themselves should also be easier for less experienced teams to convert.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred