Retroactive name changes in tournament results

A place to discuss topics affecting quizbowlers as a community rather than quizbowl as a game.
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Retroactive name changes in tournament results

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

Hi folks. As some of you know, I'm trans, and no longer use the name I went by when I still attended tournaments. Pursuant to this, I have two questions.

1. I know of at least one other trans person who's had their name changed on NAQT results, although they attended tournaments after coming out. Whom do I contact with a similar request? I don't want to inconvenience the wrong person.

2. Am I correct in assuming that it's far, far more trouble than it's worth trying to find-and-replace all the SQBS reports hosted on this very site? I assume that, unlike the NAQT site, these are just hosted as static HTML files and there's no backend.

I apologize if this is the wrong venue. I didn't see a better one.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
jonah
Auron

Re: Retroactive name changes in tournament results

Post by jonah »

The ChatSack Triple-Play wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:04 pm1. I know of at least one other trans person who's had their name changed on NAQT results, although they attended tournaments after coming out. Whom do I contact with a similar request? I don't want to inconvenience the wrong person.
[email protected] or [email protected]
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

The ChatSack Triple-Play wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:04 pm 2. Am I correct in assuming that it's far, far more trouble than it's worth trying to find-and-replace all the SQBS reports hosted on this very site? I assume that, unlike the NAQT site, these are just hosted as static HTML files and there's no backend.
Yeah, probably, sadly. Each stats entry is owned by its respective TD/stats person, too. Like, if I TD'd a tournament you played at, and you wanted your name retroactively changed, I could (and would) do that, assuming I still had the stats file, but maybe whoever uploaded it, say, doesn't have the file any more, or isn't even active in quizbowl any more, in which case unfortunately it might not be possible to do so.

I would hope that at the very least if you played a major event like ACF Nationals or PACE NSC (at least within the last few years -- a lot of old stats are lost to the mists of time), that ACF/PACE would have the resources to do this.

Edit to add: It's possible the HSQB sysadmin might have the ability to edit stats reports in the database? It's worth asking, at least.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

Would it be possible for the HSQB admin to execute search-and-replace on submitted stat reports, per the request of someone who's changed their name?

I've run some tests on stat files, and assuming their name is at least two words, both of which are capitalized normally and only contain alphanumeric characters, it seems all generated reports and the SQBS files can be fixed by running

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/\bDeadname Lastname\b/\bFirstname Lastname\b/g' file
with no deleterious side effects (some implementations of sed lack the '-i' option, but there are workarounds). It's slightly more complicated for YellowFruit-generated files, as some IDs in the HTML reports are generated by stripping non-alphanumeric characters from player names, but it's still an easy enough fix. Even the above command will still produce valid reports, but someone's deadname will occasionally appear in URLs.

This would only break something if the deadname is one of the following: Individual Detail, Individual Statistics, Round No, Round Report, Stat Key, Team Detail, Team Details, and Team Standings. Obviously, this is highly unlikely. Note that I generated this list from grepping for pairs of capitalized words in YellowFruit and SQBS stat reports, and while I believe it to be exhaustive, automatically replaced stat reports should still be checked manually for errors.
Matt
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

[Part of this post was self-redacted.]
CPiGuy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:25 pm Yeah, probably, sadly. Each stats entry is owned by its respective TD/stats person, too. Like, if I TD'd a tournament you played at, and you wanted your name retroactively changed, I could (and would) do that, assuming I still had the stats file, but maybe whoever uploaded it, say, doesn't have the file any more, or isn't even active in quizbowl any more, in which case unfortunately it might not be possible to do so.

I would hope that at the very least if you played a major event like ACF Nationals or PACE NSC (at least within the last few years -- a lot of old stats are lost to the mists of time), that ACF/PACE would have the resources to do this.

Edit to add: It's possible the HSQB sysadmin might have the ability to edit stats reports in the database? It's worth asking, at least.
As someone who has run stats at tournaments, I believe the chances of anyone whatsoever still having SQBS files on their computer from random tournaments five years ago are remote.

I'll call around and see what I can do about the nationals I went to.
Last edited by The ChatSack Triple-Play on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

The ChatSack Triple-Play wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:35 amAs someone who has run stats at tournaments, I believe the chances of anyone whatsoever still having SQBS files on their computer from random tournaments five years ago are remote.

I'll call around and see what I can do about the nationals I went to.
But not zero. More importantly, the hsqbdb allows a stats person to upload the sqbs file, so that it's on the server.

If you attended any NSCs, there's a good chance I'm the person in control of the stats file, and I'd be able to do a find-and-replace. Send me a PM or email of that's the case.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Before doing a backend fix, know that there is a player from Hinsdale Central with a stat line in 2017 that had the same name.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

This should definitely be something that the HSQBDB is well-suited for, albeit requiring more manual intervention than NAQT's stats database. Combined with Harry White's database search, you'd just need to compile a list of tournaments using someone's deadname and only change the files associated with that tournament. This should also change their name in any SQBS files on the server since the name is stored in SQBS files in plain text.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

This community often does great things. This is one. <3

I don't know if this is relevant in your particular case, Sasha, but you may also want to check with webmasters of any quizbowl organizations (state alliances or sponsoring organizations) to make similar requests for any data they may have hosted on their own websites. For example, we at MOQBA have gladly made name changes like this on our own site and forum for members of our All-State teams and the like.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

I've sent an email to the owners of the HSQB listings that show up on a search for my deadname.

If anyone has current emails for Brittany Trang or Matthew Riggle, please DM me. (Matthew's email registered on this site is an internal WKU address; since he has long since graduated I assume it is defunct.)

Thank you, everyone, for being so helpful with my mental health and operational security.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them