Pandemic and community

A place to discuss topics affecting quizbowlers as a community rather than quizbowl as a game.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Pandemic and community

Post by theMoMA »

I don't think any of us know exactly how the pandemic will shake out, what we may need, or what we may be called upon to do for others. People are going to need friends to talk with to break the monotony and isolation that result from social distancing. Some people might need help working on projects. Some people might even need financial or personal assistance to get through a tough time. Be ready to do what you can.

I thought I'd start this thread so that people can have a place to bring things to community attention during this tough time. Maybe you can offer a social opportunity for people who are feeling alone, such as joining a groupchat. (For instance, I would be glad to direct anyone to my favorite place on the internet, where I talk with fiends like Carsten and Naveed, if you message me.) Maybe you have a problem that needs to be solved or a project to work on that people who are self-isolating can help with. I hope that we can help each other get through this together.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Pandemic and community

Post by Cheynem »

One thing I might suggest is that in quizbowl contexts, unless the topic of discussion is especially relevant (i.e. the cancellation of the tournaments), talk about the pandemic could perhaps be restrained. I'm not saying it shouldn't be talked about--it absolutely should be, and I'm glad the Discord has added a "covid" channel, and I would also hope people who have deep personal or political thoughts on the subject should feel free to talk in that context. But I also think in a QUIZBOWL context, that mass speculation (i.e. about what tournaments will be cancelled in the future) or overly pessimistic/optimistic projections based on nothing but a hunch (i.e. guessing Tournament X will happen or won't happen or how long before face to face quizbowl will take place) I think just adds to people feeling stressed, uneasy, and anxious. Again, there isn't anything wrong with saying "I doubt we'll have tournaments in April because of CDC guidelines etc." But let's try and restrict our quizbowl/pandemic talk to the here and now and not unduly panic or worry people by trying to guess the future. I understand why people are anxious and concerned but spreading potentially inaccurate rumors or trying to read the tea leaves just isn't going to get us anywhere.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Re: Pandemic and community

Post by dxdtdemon »

The Census Bureau is still planning on counting the people who don't fill out their census forms in April, and a lot of the people who were going to be doing this are in high-risk groups. If you are looking for a job, go to 2020census.gov/jobs and fill out an application. You work near where you live.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego