Panel discussion on inclusion and racism in quizbowl (video up now!)

A place to discuss topics affecting quizbowlers as a community rather than quizbowl as a game.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Panel discussion on inclusion and racism in quizbowl (video up now!)

Post by Important Bird Area »

PACE, IAC, ACF, and NAQT are organizing a panel discussion in early March, focusing on issues of systemic underrepresentation and racism in the quizbowl community. The meeting will run as a Zoom webinar, with a moderator asking invited speakers to address questions collected in advance. There will also be opportunities for people in the audience to pose questions and suggestions for discussion by the panel. We plan to record the discussion and make the recording available for anyone interested.

We aim to provide a platform for BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) voices to discuss the state of quizbowl, share their experiences, and raise awareness among community members and leaders. Most of all, we hope to spark community action during and after the event. While we want to talk about the problems that face underrepresented quizbowlers, we do not want to force anyone to share personal stories in the name of convincing majority quizbowlers that problems exist. We hope that our audience already knows this fact and wants to know more about how to combat these problems.

We are soliciting applications for panelists to speak about their experiences, and for a moderator to facilitate the conversation. The application for both roles is available here. Applications will be accepted through Saturday, February 6, 2021.

What we’re looking for in the panelists:

-Approximately 4 panelists from demographics that are under-represented in the quizbowl community.

-A wide range of ages and roles in the quizbowl community. We would like the panel to be composed of people from a diversity of experiences and backgrounds, so we are welcoming applications from all levels (middle school, high school, college, post-college) of the quizbowl community.

-A conversation about past experiences, possibilities for present action, and how to shape the future of quizbowl.

What we’re not looking for in the panelists:

-For any one panelist to represent any entire demographic. We are all individuals.

-For any one panelist to represent an entire organization (unless you and your org want you to!)

-While panelists are more than welcome to share negative experiences, we do not want anyone to feel forced to relive or retell them publicly if they do not wish to do so.

What we’re looking for in a moderator:

-A person who wants to help our panelists shine.

-Someone who has confidence and experience with politely interrupting people who are taking up too much time.

-Awareness of how people of certain demographics are raised to speak up more or less and a willingness to combat these trends.

What we’re not looking for in a moderator:

-We do not need the moderator to prepare all questions; the panelists and organizing committee will help to gather and create questions that will then be delivered by the moderator.

-Someone who would rather be sharing their own ideas and experiences; if this describes you, we’d love you as a panelist instead!

We are currently working through the details, but we will most likely be able to offer a small honorarium to the panelists and moderator.

Once the panel has been recruited, we hope to meet and allow the panelists to shape the event and the questions in a way that will lead them to have fulfilling, respectful, and comfortable conversations.

The panel will last no longer than 2 hours, and panelists will be asked to meet either one or two times prior to the panel itself to prepare and rehearse.

Questions will be solicited from the community beforehand, and we want to offer panelists the chance to craft their own or select questions from the community that interest them the most. If panelists prefer, they could do a minimum of work before the panel (most likely one meeting the week before to test technological resources). We want to leave this decision to the panelists in order to respect their time and labor.

If you have any questions or comments about this project, please contact me, or any of the members of the organizing committee:

Jeff Hoppes, NAQT

Athena Kern, PACE

Moses Kitakule, PACE

Caroline Mao, ACF

Olivia Murton, ACF

Arthur Ramsay, IAC

Seth Teitler, NAQT
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: Panel discussion on inclusion and racism in quizbowl

Update: the deadline for applications has been extended to February 6.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: Panel discussion on inclusion and racism in quizbowl

We're pleased to announce the composition of our panel:

-Grace Liu (MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
-Caroline Mao (Barnard College, New York, New York)
-Esther Perceval (Valencia College, Orlando, Florida)
-Chris Wright (Gallatin High School, Gallatin, Tennessee)

Jeremy Nelson (former player at Alcorn State University, and more recently a staffer at several of NAQT's national championships) will be the moderator for the panel.

Interested in submitting questions for discussion with the panelists? Send us your thoughts here.

The panel will take place on Zoom Saturday, March 13, from 5 to 7 pm (Eastern Time). We hope to see you there!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: Panel discussion on inclusion and racism in quizbowl (join us March 13!)

And here's the link to join our panel on Saturday (5 pm Eastern)!

(Participants will be required to enter their name and email address to join.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

reindeer
Wakka

Post by reindeer »

This is happening today! Join us at 5 pm Eastern.
Olivia M
TJ, MIT, Harvard, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll probably have to miss this live; will it be archived?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
reindeer
Wakka

Post by reindeer »

Yes, it'll be available online after & we'll post the link here.
Olivia M
TJ, MIT, Harvard, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Awesome, thank you!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Important Bird Area

Re: Panel discussion on inclusion and racism in quizbowl (video now available)

reindeer wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:17 pm Yes, it'll be available online after & we'll post the link here.
Video from our diversity, equity, and inclusion panel is now available here!

Thank you to our panel participants (moderator Jeremy Nelson; panelists Grace Liu, Caroline Mao, Esther Perceval, and Chris Wright) and to our organizers from NAQT, PACE, ACF, and IAC.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF