Sun 'n' Fun XI: Ars Longa, Tossups Brevis on August 14th

Old college threads.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Sun 'n' Fun XI: Ars Longa, Tossups Brevis on August 14th

Post by SnookerUSF »

I would like to announce Sun 'n' Fun XI: Ars Longa, Tossups Brevis

This year we will be doing this a little differently, in my constant and perhaps misguided desire to experiment, I would like to make this tournament half-packet submission. That is, I will ask for half-packets from teams in order to play, this allows a number of advantages (I hope):

1) It allows the tournament to more comprehensively reflect the interests and knowledge base of the community, while still retaining the flavor and interests you have come to "love" from SnF.
2) 12/12 is much less daunting for players and teams, I think.

Also, to add to the fun, if you submit a packet any time before August 1st, your team can play for $50. Of course if you enjoy the idea of writing a full packet, I will not say no to such kindness, and you can play for $30. Generally speaking, if you wish to play to WILL NEED to write a packet; however, if you are a team that would not need to write a packet according to ACF rules (you know who you are) then the submission is optional. Also, if there are multitude of half-packets, I am amenable to allowing other teams play but you will pay the full $120 to participate, but this is not guaranteed. So pretty please submit a half-packet, seriously: 12/12 is something like 1/1 a week between now and the tournament.

The distribution for the half-packet is as follows (for full packet please follow the ACF Distribution, Geography Optional)
2/2 Lit (1/1 English-language, 1/1 non-English language)
2/2 History (1/1 North America/UK, 1/1 Rest of World)
3/3 Science ( 1/1 Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
2/2 Fine Arts (1/1 Non-Operatic Classical Music, 1/1 Whatever)
1/1 RMP
1/1 SS
1/1 GK/Current Events/Georgraphy/TRASH

A word on difficulty, power marks and length:
I would like the difficulty to approximate ICT or ACF Nationals, though please feel free to include a tossup and bonus or two on worthwhile but post-Nationals level difficulty. Also, in the spirit of shorter, snappier tossups please restrict tossup length to no longer than seven lines 10pt TNR font (one inch margins). Also if you would please place (*) power marks in your tossups, but understand that they may be altered slightly.

Mirrors are of course encouraged and welcome. If any one would like to assist in the editing process, please e-mail me: aragab at mail dot usf dot edu, science and history editors would be appreciated.

Fee Structure:
Teams not submitting a half-packet: $120
Teams submitting a half-packet before August 1st: $50
Teams submitting a packet before August 1st: $30
Mirrors can adjudicate discounts for buzzers, staff and laptops as they see fit.

I look forward to receiving your questions!
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Auroni
Auron

Re: Sun 'n' Fun XI: Ars Longa, Tossups Brevis on August 14th

Post by Auroni »

I might be able to freelance a full packet for this, but I'm not sure yet.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I'll probably show up to this again, unless it conflicts with VETO
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Whig's Boson wrote:I'll probably show up to this again, unless it conflicts with VETO
I just heard that VETO will be on 7/17.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

A mix of current and recently graduated high schoolers from the South Carolina/Georgia area are considering attending this, and, to that effect, I have some questions about (half or otherwise)packet writing.
SnookerUSF wrote:Generally speaking, if you wish to play to WILL NEED to write a packet; however, if you are a team that would not need to write a packet according to ACF rules (you know who you are) then the submission is optional.
When you say that submission is optional for teams according to the ACF guidelines, do you mean by the ACF guidelines of the 2009-10 season (whether a player played a collegiate academic tournament before 9/1/2008) or of the 2010-11 season posted with the global announcement posted by ACF Fall (before 9/1/2009)? It doesn't make a huge difference, because we will probably write anyway to get the discount, but I'm just curious, since I am our team's offending party, having attended ACF Regionals in 2009.
SnookerUSF wrote:Also, in the spirit of shorter, snappier tossups please restrict tossup length to no longer than seven lines 10pt TNR font (one inch margins).
If our submitted are restricted to seven lines, how long will the edited tossups be? A quick glance reveals average tossup length from last year to be about ten and a half lines. Are tossups at this tournament going to be more like Sun 'n' Fun 08?
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

To answer your questions:

Yes, I would you to write a half-packet.

and

7 lines.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

I was just wondering if there were plans for a Florida-area mirror for Sun n Fun. I had heard Orlando a while back and was just wondering if that was still the case. Myself and some other current/former South Carolina people are interested in attending.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum