MUT Mirror at NGCSU (April 3, 2010)

Old college threads.
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

MUT Mirror at NGCSU (April 3, 2010)

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

The NGCSU Academic Team is planning to host the Georgia/Tennessee/part of South Carolina mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament (MUT) on April 3, 2010, in Dahlonega, Georgia. Most likely the event will take place again in the Newton Oakes Center, site of the Region 6 SCT. However, if this changes, we will post the new location and map reference here. For more information on the nature of MUT, please refer to this link:

http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8819.

**Please note this event is open to ONLY college undergraduates or high school students. **

Costs and other discounts
Base fee: $100
2nd team: -$20 off base fee
3rd and subsequent teams: add $40 to total
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working system (limit two)
Moderator: -$10 for each experienced moderator (limit two- please contact me in advance if you are planning on bringing a staffer) to work either MUT and/or NGATT (job placement based on tournament demand)*
Travel: -$10 off the overall total if over 100 miles by MapQuest
High School Team: -$25

Minimum entry fee for one team: $70

*We will also be hosting our twice-snow delayed North Georgia Academic Team Tournament (NGATT) the same day. We are not expecting a huge field for this event (may cap it at 18 teams, if that) but we can use the help of graduate level students and anyone else interested.

If you are interested, please email the team your team(s), buzzers, workers, etc. More information will be posted soon as updates warrant. Thank you and we look forward to hosting you (again for some) in Dahlonega.

Field (as of Mar 30):

UGA*
Georgia Tech (3)*
South Carolina*
GPC*
Auburn-Montgomery*
Clemson*
Chatta-retta (Chattahoochee with William Horton)
Southside HS (playing as something else)
Emory*

Tournament Format: 11 teams= 1xRR (10 games with byes)- due to a slower schedule and the fact it's the day before Easter, we've switched to just the regular round robin with ties broken by matches and not statistics.
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 19 times in total.
North Georgia College & State University Academic Team
Christopher Shull, President
[email protected]
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Re: MUT Mirror at NGCSU (April 3, 2010)

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

FYI, we had to cancel practice this week, so Furman is tentative until sufficient individual members of the team get back to me and tell me they don't have a conflict.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

North_GA_ATeam wrote: Dalton State (over/under for number of rounds played before leaving will be 2)
Nice...
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

wd4gdz wrote:
North_GA_ATeam wrote: Dalton State (over/under for number of rounds played before leaving will be 2)
Nice...
Douglass' law!

I would like to mention that this is ten times more awesome than Alabama hosting MUT. Sorry Jake Sundberg...
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

New Field update after only a few days. Shaping up to be a good little event.
[email protected]
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

NGCSU team: please let me know as soon as you can what you would like to do with your host bid to ICT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

We won't be going to Chicago.
[email protected]
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Thanks for letting us know.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

New field update as of Feb 26th
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Nothing new to report in terms of field update, except to say it looks like the event will be in the Newton Oakes Center, site of the SCT in February. Let us know if your plans have changed. Also, remember we can use some workers for the HS tournament being held the same day, so if you have any upperclassmen who want to help you save some money, let us know. Expect an email soon.
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[email protected]
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

OK, I finally heard definitively back from our driver, and he won't be around for Easter break. Therefore, we can't come. Good luck with the event.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Until we can get a firm number of workers on our end (and any from the teams coming), we're placing a temporary halt to new teams for MUT, although we think we've received word from most of the teams already coming. If you have upperclassmen who would like to come and read (and to get a discount to boot), let us know. If you're still interested, let us know as well and we'll hopefully get you on board.
[email protected]
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

South Carolina would like to register a team for this. Bryn Reinecke and myself can serve as moderators as well.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Final field update for MUT at NGCSU. South Carolina has been added in place of Berry. We sent an email out to all teams on the list- please make sure to reply to confirm your coming as we will be setting schedules, rooms and readers this week.
[email protected]
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

It looks like it is 80% certain that a "team" from Chattahoochee will be there. There are at least 2 players that are planning to attend; hopefully, we will get 4 to commit. Since I will not be able to attend, the "team" will be called "Mudkip."
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

RountreeCHS wrote:Since I will not be able to attend, the "team" will be called "Mudkip."
Similarly, Southside will have to play with a pseudonym of some sort. I'll let you know what we're using prior to the day of the tournament. Our roster is not certain yet, because two of our players are uncertain about whether they can come;they are indicated with an asterisk. Our tentative roster:
Ben Cole
Neil Luu*
Ming Lin
Amit Bilgi*
Last edited by Duncan Idaho on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Thanks for letting us know. If you can get the Southside pseudonym in quickly, we can add it to the schedules. As for Mudkip, I know Robin emailed William Horton and the Chattahoochee player contact about joining forces as "Chatta-retta" or "Alpha-hoochee" as Mr. Horton wants to play but space doesn't allow for him to be solo. Each player would then just pay $25 per person to play. We should know soon the outcome of that soon.

And Mr. Rountree, Chattahoochee will not be playing NGATT I take it? We have the JV team from Alpharetta wanting to come in, but I want to try and avoid byes at all costs. Just let me know via email. Thanks!

Also, there's been a slight field change in MUT. Check it out above. 12 teams is the ABSOLUTE maximum we can take.
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Also, all teams for MUT: expect an email soon which will act as the "team meeting." I would like to begin Round 1 at 9am SHARP. Registration will be from 8-845 in the Newton Oakes Center, site of the Region 6 SCT in February.
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[email protected]
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

North_GA_ATeam wrote:Thanks for letting us know. If you can get the Southside pseudonym in quickly, we can add it to the schedules.
Will do. In the meantime, you can add us into SQBS as "Southside" and change our name when you find out the pseudonym. Ditto for our names on the roster.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

North_GA_ATeam wrote:As for Mudkip, I know Robin emailed William Horton and the Chattahoochee player contact about joining forces as "Chatta-retta" or "Alpha-hoochee" as Mr. Horton wants to play but space doesn't allow for him to be solo. Each player would then just pay $25 per person to play. We should know soon the outcome of that soon.

And Mr. Rountree, Chattahoochee will not be playing NGATT I take it? We have the JV team from Alpharetta wanting to come in, but I want to try and avoid byes at all costs. Just let me know via email. Thanks!
I have always been partial to Mudkip; I like the way it sounds. I think the University of Alabama folks gave it to our team last year when I couldn't go to Tuscaloosa with them. Inexplicably, it stuck. Of course, if William and my guys want to play under some other name, that is totally fine as well. I really have no say in the matter as they don't represent Chattahoochee and the CHS Academic Team is not paying for their entry fee.

Yes, you are correct. The Hooch is NOT bringing a team to the NGATT. Alpharetta may take our spot.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

Quick results:

1- Clemson ran the 11 team table and was first by a two game lead.
"Southside" and "Midkip" were playing a tiebreaker round to determine 2nd and 3rd when I left.

There were a few hiccups (which will be fixed soon) but all in all it seemed like a good day. Long looooong toss-ups though. Hopefully there will be some stats soon when they fix the glitch (which I plead mea culpa on- sorry yall for sending the wrong scoresheets).
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

With all due respect, I think the vast majority of questions in this set did not exceed six lines in normal TNR 10 font. I do not see that as "long looooooooong" tossups.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

Just longer than what we were used to reading and hearing. No offense intended.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

Because no significant results have been posted by ngcsu...

Clemson won the tournament, and Southside beat Mudkip by over 200 points in a tiebreaker game for 2nd place after having lost to Mudkip earlier in the day. After those three I'm not sure what the standings were, but I beleive USC lost to Tech A but beat Mudkip, and Tech A lost to Mudkip and Tech B. If that is the case and there were no other upsets I think USC would have gotten 4th and Tech A 5th, with Tech B (lead by Chattahoochee's Connie Prater) placing 6th. I'm reasonably sure I then finished 7th, and GPC 8th. After that I really can't say.

USC's team was Robert playing with what I believe is their usual B team, and Clemson was missing Kevin. Southside played with just Ming and BC, and Mudkip's members were William Horton from Alpharetta and Rishi and Vikram from Chattahoochee. UGA's team was just me.

Due to some mixup with what type of scoresheets were used and misinformation on the part of some readers, I highly doubt individual stats will be posted, or that they exist for more than a fifth or so of the games.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Yeah, all that sounds right. Yeah, basically the scoresheets given didn't have a space I could see for individual statkeeping, and the TD or someone said they weren't keeping them for that reason, so at least I didn't keep individual stats at all in my room.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum