Some DII Feedback

Old college threads.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Some DII Feedback

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So I obviously didn't write anything for DI but I did write 41 questions for DII and am curious what people think

Round 1
tu: pentagon papers, south carolina, marco polo, khyber pass

round 2
bonus: sociobio/gould/p.e.
tu: roy lichtenstein, harry reid (yeah, not sure how 2 reid questions wound up in this set)

r3
bonus on ricci v destefano

r4
tu on fallingwater

r5
tu: tunguska event, sac. kings
bonus on peter paul rubens

r6
tu on pegaus, john tyler, shah jahan

r7
bonus on american tragedy and on huckel's rule

r8
tu on calorimeter, albee, kipling
bonus on frank norris

r9
tu on battle of verdun, riemann zeta function
bonuses on mamet and germinal

r10
tu on james k polk and pyrennes mountains
bonus on zheng he

r11
tu on agee, titration, terran (from starcraft), standard oil

r12
tu on syria and credit mobilier scandal

r13
tu on horace greeley
bonus on copper/peptide bonds/aldehyde

nothing in r14

r15
tu on kerensky, louisiana

r16
tu somalia, sartre, mollusks
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Re: Some DII Feedback

Post by Chico the Rainmaker »

Perhaps this was intended, but I was able to get the zeta function question at the end just by knowing what letter comes after epsilon. Granted, that was the last clue so anyone who knew it probably would've gotten it by then, but maybe it would've been better to say "named after a Greek letter" rather than "the letter after epsilon" so that someone would've at least had to know that there is a zeta function if he wanted a better than 1/22 shot at getting it.
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

The TU on Pegasus either did what it was supposed to or baited people into negging with Bellerophon early (as my teammate did).
The USS Princeton clue for Polk has come up a couple of times before (granted, I couldn't recall his name until later).
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

The astrodome was a total hose, but maybe I missed some sports clue.

There were lots of questions with LaGrange or a permutation as answers (at least 4).

"The bombing of libya" was a shitty answer - we all sat there trying to think of an operation name, and missed it.
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Concur on "Bombing of Libya". I read the answer line and five or six people said "Oh."

"Apery's constant" is not a good lead-in for the zeta function.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

manary wrote:The astrodome was a total hose, but maybe I missed some sports clue.

There were lots of questions with LaGrange or a permutation as answers (at least 4).

"The bombing of libya" was a shitty answer - we all sat there trying to think of an operation name, and missed it.
How was Astrodome a hose? The 1989 NBA All Star game clue is a dead giveaway for the place. It has been brought up numerous times recently with the All-Star game at Cowboys Stadium this year and with the Las Vegas All-Star game as non-NBA arenas hosting the game.

EDIT: Forgot I was in the DII thread. My fault.
Last edited by MicroEStudent on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

jonpin wrote:"Apery's constant" is not a good lead-in for the zeta function.
It's fine for DII.
Andrew Watkins
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Post by Chico the Rainmaker »

manary wrote:The astrodome was a total hose, but maybe I missed some sports clue.
I would be willing to bet (and I know someone on the other team did this in my room and I was right behind him) that there was a lot of "Katrina refugees were moved here" neg-with-Superdome "from the Superdome"
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
It's fine for DII.
It sure is.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Yeha - I admitted that I don't know anything about sports, which is why it might not have been a hose, thought the 1989 all star game is from before I was born. It was exactly as said: Katrina refugees "buzz, neg" from the superdome "oh, buzz, 10"
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Hard Tack Come Again No More wrote:
I would be willing to bet (and I know someone on the other team did this in my room and I was right behind him) that there was a lot of "Katrina refugees were moved here" neg-with-Superdome "from the Superdome"
You didn't get hosed. That question rewarded the knowledge that the largest NBA all-star game ever (until next week) was there. Its a random useless fact, except that it has come up in current events recently. If you buzz in on it's a stadium that has to do with Katrina, you are using the freshman method. http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Freshman_Method
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

nalin wrote:
Hard Tack Come Again No More wrote:
You didn't get hosed. That question rewarded the knowledge that the largest NBA all-star game ever (until next week) was there. Its a random useless fact, except that it has come up in current events recently. If you buzz in on it's a stadium that has to do with Katrina, you are using the freshman method. http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Freshman_Method
No...no, you're not. If you buzz on "a stadium" and guess "Yankee Stadium" while disregarding context clues, you're using the freshman method. If you buzz on "Katrina refugees were moved to this stadium" with a stadium to which Katrina refugees were moved, you're the victim of some unfortunate word ordering. One can't assume knowledge of earlier clues to justify potential hoses in later clues.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

grapesmoker wrote:
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
It's fine for DII.
It sure is.
Cheerfully withdrawn.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

I only wrote four questions, which I don't think merits a whole new thread: the bonus about kids in musical works (packet 3) and the tossups on Bach (13), the Kalevala (14), and Genesis (14) are mine, if anyone wants to say anything about those.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Ondes Martenot wrote: Tossup on Terrans from Starcraft
We had an interesting situation with this question where I heard "Sons of Korhal" and buzzed with "Confederacy" because I thought you were looking for the specific faction of Terrans. I realize that the clues before it applied to another Terran faction in Starcraft II, but given the comment of "One can't assume knowledge of earlier clues to justify potential hoses in later clues" above, I was wondering whether you might not consider that a potential hose as well?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Ummm...I'm not too sure. My memory of starcraft is a bit rusty. When writing this I considered using "this race" instead of "this faction" but decided against that in fear that it would make it too obvious that it was about starcraft. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue and maybe a more specific element should have been prompted. I'll make sure in the future to keep my very limited pop culture to things I am more fully comfortable with.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Ondes Martenot wrote:Ummm...I'm not too sure. My memory of starcraft is a bit rusty. When writing this I considered using "this race" instead of "this faction" but decided against that in fear that it would make it too obvious that it was about starcraft. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue and maybe a more specific element should have been prompted. I'll make sure in the future to keep my very limited pop culture to things I am more fully comfortable with.
Also, is Sarah Kerrigan really a good example of a Terran?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Are we seriously talking about Starcraft?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

grapesmoker wrote:Are we seriously talking about Starcraft?
I think we're talking seriously about Starcraft.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Also, is Sarah Kerrigan really a good example of a Terran?
Probably not. I mean, it is her "main race", if that makes any sense.
I mean Jerry, there's no reason why a trash tu can't be written to the same standards as a tu in any other subject. I'll be the first to admit that I probably didn't have the right level of knowledge to write a tu on terran and in the future will make sure my trash tu's are on things I'm much more familiar with.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Ondes Martenot wrote:
I mean Jerry, there's no reason why a trash tu can't be written to the same standards as a tu in any other subject. I'll be the first to admit that I probably didn't have the right level of knowledge to write a tu on terran and in the future will make sure my trash tu's are on things I'm much more familiar with.
If I had a cookie for every time an academic tournament discussion got hung up on discussion of a single trash answer, I'd be very full right now.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Ondes Martenot wrote:I mean Jerry, there's no reason why a trash tu can't be written to the same standards as a tu in any other subject.
There's every reason it can't; it's a trash question. It's on something stupid and/or unimportant.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

I would love to know why tossups on androids, zombies, coffins, and stamps all got put in the same round. That was reaaaaaaaaaaaaally fun(n).
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Kwang the Ninja wrote:I would love to know why tossups on androids, zombies, coffins, and stamps all got put in the same round. That was reaaaaaaaaaaaaally fun(n).
Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

There was much notice/discussion at the CCCT among readers and players I was speaking to that there were a lot of references to both Argentina and Shakespeare in the first three rounds of the DII SCT set. Not repeats, exactly, but just repetitions as clues and parts of answers.

Also, though certainly trivial, I was amused that the first half of one round managed to name drop both "Cassius Clay" and "Muhammed Ali" in different questions (the former as a clue, the latter as a bonus part) with neither referring to the great American boxer.

Finally, in at least three rooms that I know of at the CCCT, the Easter Island toss-up led to negs on folks who couldn't come up with "Moai" after being prompted; in my room, a player came in before the power mark with the answer of "Easter Island heads" but had no idea about what I was prompting for. And one of my players melted down after negging on it (his fault, though--that name has come up in practice). I don't have a problem with that answer being required, but maybe this just shouldn't be a toss-up answer since it ends up becoming such neg bait for DII players. As a bonus part, at least the question could ask for their native designation.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Finally, in at least three rooms that I know of at the CCCT, the Easter Island toss-up led to negs on folks who couldn't come up with "Moai" after being prompted; in my room, a player came in before the power mark with the answer of "Easter Island heads" but had no idea about what I was prompting for. And one of my players melted down after negging on it (his fault, though--that name has come up in practice). I don't have a problem with that answer being required, but maybe this just shouldn't be a toss-up answer since it ends up becoming such neg bait for DII players. As a bonus part, at least the question could ask for their native designation.
This really doesn't seem like a problem to me. Why should we give points to people who don't actually know the right answer? This seems equivalent to someone describing obelisks instead of just saying "obelisk," which, clearly, isn't deserving of points.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I suppose that's right. Unfortunately, a lot of CCCT players didn't seem to know the term. I wonder how well it got converted at the SCTs in DII.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

ValenciaQBowl wrote:I suppose that's right. Unfortunately, a lot of CCCT players didn't seem to know the term.
We got it, and we're the fourth or fifth best team in the nation!!
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
1979 Sugar Bowl
Lulu

Post by 1979 Sugar Bowl »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Kwang the Ninja wrote:I would love to know why tossups on androids, zombies, coffins, and stamps all got put in the same round. That was reaaaaaaaaaaaaally fun(n).
Fixed.
Just wondering what category in the distribution coffins and stamps fall under?
Cody Pickens
Chipola College '10
University of Florida '12
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I know I have never encountered the word moai until this sectional, yet I knew exactly what the tossup was referring to. I don't know how I feel about that answer line, it seems like in America 95% of the time people call them the heads on Easter Island and have no actual reason to ever learn their native name instead, so I would probably say that the answer line should be made broader, unless there's some really compelling evidence that way more people call them moai routinely than I think they do.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

1979 Sugar Bowl wrote:Just wondering what category in the distribution coffins and stamps fall under?
Miscellaneous and general knowledge, respectively. (Coffins should have been in gk too, rather than miscellaneous.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:I know I have never encountered the word moai until this sectional, yet I knew exactly what the tossup was referring to. I don't know how I feel about that answer line, it seems like in America 95% of the time people call them the heads on Easter Island and have no actual reason to ever learn their native name instead, so I would probably say that the answer line should be made broader, unless there's some really compelling evidence that way more people call them moai routinely than I think they do.
I learned "moai" in class in fifth grade (and before you mention that hey, this is the school that taught me orgo in tenth grade, this was a pretty mediocre elementary school), but that's obviously hardly compelling evidence--and I definitely support the broader answer line, anyway. It's a "clear knowledge equivalent" if ever there was one.
Andrew Watkins
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

bt_green_warbler wrote:
1979 Sugar Bowl wrote:Just wondering what category in the distribution coffins and stamps fall under?
Miscellaneous and general knowledge, respectively. (Coffins should have been in gk too, rather than miscellaneous.)
Any chance those categories are on their way out?
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Important Bird Area

Reduced for 2011? Quite possible. Completely eliminated? Highly doubtful.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Dees and Borglum wrote:Easter Island heads negging
Same thing happened in our room, for the record.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I thought I'd mention that for the volume tossup, I think from Rd. 2, having "isochoric" as like the second or third word is pretty anti-pyramidal, especially in the phrase "isochoric processes keep this constant" or something like that. I mean, most people know what isobaric and isothermal means, so it's likely they also know that isochoric refers to volume, and at that point it's a quick-recall vocabulary question.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Important Bird Area

Round 2 wrote:This quantity remains constant in isochoric processes, and is corrected by subtracting a term proportional to the number of particles in the van der Waals equation. Charles' law says it is proportional to (*) temperature. For an ideal gas undergoing an isothermal process, it is inversely proportional to pressure, as required by Boyle's law. For 10 points--name this amount of space taken up by a system that is symbolized V.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

gyre and gimble wrote:I thought I'd mention that for the volume tossup, I think from Rd. 2, having "isochoric" as like the second or third word is pretty anti-pyramidal, especially in the phrase "isochoric processes keep this constant" or something like that. I mean, most people know what isobaric and isothermal means, so it's likely they also know that isochoric refers to volume, and at that point it's a quick-recall vocabulary question.
I don't know--while I agree with you that clues that reduce to vocabulary tests are inherently not great, I disagree that it's antipyramidal per se: my experience certainly led me to encounter that term much later than isobaric, isenthalpic, etc., and I certainly knew that the van der Waals equation of state corrected for particles not being points before I encountered that term. And the later clues are certainly easier. Now, is that an easier leadin than many tossups in this set? Certainly. But it's also harder than the rest of the clues in that tossup (or at least fairly similar to the next clue).
Andrew Watkins