PENN BOWL: Religion subdistribution

Old college threads.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

PENN BOWL: Religion subdistribution

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Could someone post the religion subdistribution? Not to turn this into a rehash of BIBLE QUESTIONS IN QUIZBOWL, but it seemed sort of slanted towards Judeo-Christian topics (and I can remember two bonuses that were on Islam, making the vast majority Abrahamic.
Andrew Watkins

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Religion subdistribution

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Could someone post the religion subdistribution? Not to turn this into a rehash of BIBLE QUESTIONS IN QUIZBOWL, but it seemed sort of slanted towards Judeo-Christian topics (and I can remember two bonuses that were on Islam, making the vast majority Abrahamic.
It was sort of a function of the submissions
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown University, 2009
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, 2018
Medicine Intern, Yale-Waterbury, 2018-9
Dermatology Resident, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2019-
Lord, Fiefdom of Impressionable Children, Unknown-

Member Emeritus, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer, NAQT, NHBB, IQBT

"The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It's one of the never-ending cycles in life."

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Asking about the religions that players are most likely to know about seems like a less-than-horrible thing for an easy tournament to do.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Whig's Boson wrote:Asking about the religions that players are most likely to know about seems like a less-than-horrible thing for an easy tournament to do.
The subdistribution seemed more western-slanting than, for example, the latest ACF Fall or EFT, both of which are intended to be easier. I respect that that could be helpful, but I doubt that a tossup on "Shinto" is harder than one on "Elishah," for example.
Andrew Watkins

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Whig's Boson wrote:Asking about the religions that players are most likely to know about seems like a less-than-horrible thing for an easy tournament to do.
Maybe this ought to be part of a larger discussion about religion questions, but I have to wonder how much of the kind of things that people know about religion is covered by things like questions on minor prophets and such. It seems that things like practices, doctrines, and so on would make much better material for questions than the book of Micah or whatever.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

You guys aren't going to trick me into defending tossups on individual minor prophets. I don't do that even when I'm trying to write hard religion.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Whig's Boson wrote:You guys aren't going to trick me into defending tossups on individual minor prophets. I don't do that even when I'm trying to write hard religion.
Okay, so, your argument had been that asking about a lot of western stuff is a less than horrible thing for a tournament to do. I took that as a possible explanation for why Penn did that (Penn wanted to increase conversion by doing this) and I was suggesting that they could not have intended that.

Certainly, you're right in general. You could have great conversion if you wrote a tossup on Genesis and one on Exodus in each tournament, one on each Gospel, one on Isaiah, on Jacob, on Solomon, etc. etc. But there are other concerns to serve, I think (and ones that don't decrease conversion from Penn's apparent target).

Of course, the religion subdistribution does correspond to what was submitted. So really the question is: to what extent ought editors to enforce subdistributions that are skewed by submissions?
Andrew Watkins

naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

grapesmoker wrote:
Maybe this ought to be part of a larger discussion about religion questions, but I have to wonder how much of the kind of things that people know about religion is covered by things like questions on minor prophets and such. It seems that things like practices, doctrines, and so on would make much better material for questions than the book of Micah or whatever.
I generally agree with this sentiment, especially since there has been a recent shift in many religious studies departments away from strict textual study towards a more anthropological or sociological approach to religion and the praxis that it entails. I feel that there needs to be a distinct effort on the part of both writers and editors to try to strike a balance between not only Judeo-Christian/Abrahamic and world religions but also texts and practices. That said, one has to be careful when writing questions about practices (or with praxis clues) to not assume that a practice is universal/famous/unique.

edit: words are hard
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, ACF
Event Manager, PACE
Order Support and Administrative Assistant, NAQT

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This raises the question of what sort of knowledge the religious distro is meant to reward. Since I only have personal and intellectual experience with Judeo-Christian stuff, let me speak to that. On one hand, I could write a tossup by taking a biblical book, picking out clues, incidents, and quotes. This is a tossup that does not really reward scholarly knowledge of the book per se, just knowledge of it. I don't have to have studied interpretations and analysis of Amos to know that this is a biblical book attacking the corruption of the rich in Israel. On the other hand, I could draw upon a lot of Judeo-Christian themes and theological interpretations/philosophies to write a tossup which requires the answerer to have scholarly knowledge outside of the text itself (most tossups on theological concepts are like this). I think both sorts of questions are perfectly fine, as both reward knowledge, and that questions on Judeo-Christian stuff should be written in both ways.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger