How long should a tournament run?

Old college threads.
Sargon
Lulu

How long should a tournament run?

Post by Sargon »

We've all been there. It' 9:30 at night, you're exhausted, having been up since 6:30, and the quizbowl tournament is somehow still not over. In fact, after a morning peppered with lopsided matches you are now probably playing the most challenging and important matches you will play that day, and all you want to do is sleep, or at least eat dinner. Now, certainly things happen, that one slow reader can't be replaced, etc. . ., and that is not my concern here. The question is how long should a perfectly run, ideal quizbowl tournament run? Current practice seems to work on the implicit theory that more quizbowl is always better, but as I endeavored to illustrate, there may be a point where that ceases to be true. My open question to the forum is (a) How long should an ideal tournament last? (b) Is there some way to structure a tournament that moves some of the more competitive matches earlier in the day, when teams have not been worn down as much? (c) Should a dinner break or other scheduled breaks aside from lunch be included in the tournament?
Paul Gauthier, Quizbowl crackpot
Vanderbilt 2004-8
U Chicago 2008-
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: How long should a tournament run?

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

The ideal length of a tournament should probably be measured in rounds and matches, not time.

Tomes have been written on this forum about ways to make tournaments run faster. TDs, moderators, and players each have their role to play in this process.

I think a dinner break is one of the gravest errors that a TD could make. People almost never return from them on time. Gaddis I is, I think, the classic example of a tournament that was ruined because of dinner break.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Post by Frauny Von Smiley »

From my (limited) experience, I think that after a certain point, tournaments just skid to a halt unless if the matches that are being played are still significant in some way. Of course, it all depends on the schools, since serious or teams trying to improve will probably stay focused. As long as people are still having fun and things are running smoothly, I don't see why tournament time would be a huge problem.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Sargon wrote:(a) How long should an ideal tournament last? (b) Is there some way to structure a tournament that moves some of the more competitive matches earlier in the day, when teams have not been worn down as much? (c) Should a dinner break or other scheduled breaks aside from lunch be included in the tournament?
(a) It should last as long as advertised. If the pre-tournament announcement promises (say) "a 12-team round-robin with advantaged final; we should be finished by 7pm", then it's a problem if you're still playing round 10 at 8:30.

(b) I don't know of a good way of doing this. How do you know a priori which matches will be competitive or important?

(c) My personal opinion is that if you need to schedule a dinner break, your format is too long. But then I'm old and don't have the quizbowl stamina of my youth. Dinner breaks are problematic for two other reasons. You're likely to have different rooms running on different timing by the time you get to that late in the day, so some teams will get 75 minutes for dinner and some will get 35. Also, Saturday between 5 and 7 is probably the least-conducive time for getting teams fed in a timely fashion.

I would say you should start with a realistic schedule. Realistic means you will not start on time, some teams will exceed the allotted lunch break, and rounds will take 5-10 minutes longer to play on average than you think they should. If, accounting for all of that, your schedule takes you past 7pm, then you should either re-think your format or schedule a dinner break. Just my opinion; YMMV.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Coelacanth wrote:(b) I don't know of a good way of doing this. How do you know a priori which matches will be competitive or important?
If you're doing bracketed playoffs, don't have the one seed play the two seed first. I have done this, making the last two rounds of T-Party '08 about Brown defending what was a likely victory already.
Andrew Watkins
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If you know in advance you'll need a dinner break, you can also suggest just ordering pizza/sandwiches/Chinese and having teams pay you. It may not be the most convenient, but it prevents the inevitable goof up of teams wandering off and slowly returning. Barring a horrifically long day due to various reasons, I would only recommend a dinner break between the tournament and a side event and even then a very quick one. But as I explained in another thread, I am an ugly American, so I eat quickly with little discrimination. I even ate Dominos pizza once.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, I think it might be a very good idea for people to think ahead and warn participants that it might be in their best interests to order a pizza to pick up between rounds and then eat during the last games of a tournament if things are running really late. I think being forced to wait for everyone to come back from a dinner break would be infinitely less convenient than people eating dinner during games.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auron

I don't want to condone the concept of a dinner break, even obliquely, but ordering pizzas or other food for lunch is certainly one way to reduce lunchbreak-related delays during tournaments.

But we're not all Mike Cheyne. I have met more picky eaters via quizbowl than via any other activity I participate in. So you are going to have to deal with people who refuse to eat pizza, who refuse to eat certain kinds of pizza, etc.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah folks, man up and start eating normal food like the rest of the world and quizbowl will be a better activity.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Another, more healthful and cost-saving solution, would be to pack your own lunch. The one thing tricky here is that some lunches might require forms of refrigeration, which is not readily available at many tournament sites.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auron

Cheynem wrote:Another, more healthful and cost-saving solution, would be to pack your own lunch. The one thing tricky here is that some lunches might require forms of refrigeration, which is not readily available at many tournament sites.
Or we could adopt my potluck proposal from the Paul Litvak "exit or voice" thread.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Cheynem wrote:Another, more healthful and cost-saving solution, would be to pack your own lunch. The one thing tricky here is that some lunches might require forms of refrigeration, which is not readily available at many tournament sites.
I do this and it ends up saving a lot of time for me personally (plus I get my food coma out of the way 30 minutes before other people). I suggest other people do it as well.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Well, there is no "ideal tournament length" because it differs depending on the experience and personal tastes of the player (and what they want out of their "qb weekend" - a nice outing, tourism, or as much frigging qb as they can get for their money). That said, even the hardest core players are bound to not be playing their strongest at 11 PM after 15 matches, so deciding a match then is somewhat unfortunate. But, as Watkins intimated, you have to schedule the most important matches last (cause who wants to play meaningless matches after the important ones?), so there isn't a very handy solution. I think most everyone agrees that standard regular seasons tourneys are good being 11-12 round affairs, and that anything less is a bit iffy, but sometimes that just takes forever.

Dinner breaks are a just-plain-awful idea. People should just buy their favorite energy drink and chug if their ears are drooping around 7 PM.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

No Rules Westbrook wrote:Dinner breaks are a just-plain-awful idea. People should just buy their favorite energy drink and chug if their ears are drooping around 7 PM.
Better idea: TDs should make an effort to be efficient enough and construct a schedule such that teams are out by dinnertime, and teams should make an effort to be punctual enough to get their peers out by dinnertime.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

If the tournament starts at 10am, I usually wish I weren't playing quizbowl by about 4pm.
(I know it's not the standard, but probably more people than just me feel this way.)
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
lil135
Kimahri

Post by lil135 »

We were first timers at UIC and we had a small turnout probably (Division I had seven teams and Division II had 8). We did a double round robin, but we had breakfast waiting at 8am during registration, box lunches ready for after the 7th match and snacks waiting at 4pm. But we also had the luxury of the 7 match rooms being next to each other and the eating area in the same hall way. We started at 9:20 and finshed around 6pm. But we did have the luxury of a decent budget and very close quarters for the entire event. Otherwise we could not have pulled it off...
Ruby Vega
UIC Campus Recreation
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

lil135 wrote:We were first timers at UIC and we had a small turnout probably (Division I had seven teams and Division II had 8). We did a double round robin, but we had breakfast waiting at 8am during registration, box lunches ready for after the 7th match and snacks waiting at 4pm. But we also had the luxury of the 7 match rooms being next to each other and the eating area in the same hall way. We started at 9:20 and finished around 6pm. But we did have the luxury of a decent budget and very close quarters for the entire event. Otherwise we could not have pulled it off...
Er, you should probably enable a signature with your name and affiliation attached. Just go to user control panel, and from there to profile,and there's an edit signature tab in there.

User was banned for 24 hours for flagrant backseat moderating --the mgmt
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

9am-6pm and then I start sleeping
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07