TRASHionals XIII Call for Hosts

Old college threads.
theBlue88s
Lulu

TRASHionals XIII Call for Hosts

Post by theBlue88s »

TRASH is currently accepting bids from organizations interested in hosting TRASHionals XIII the weekend of April 23-25, 2010. We are currently entertaining both single-day and two-day event bids, and will continue to do so until February 5.

Groups interested in hosting should put together information for us to figure out who’s best suited for this year’s tournament. The following information should be included in your submission:

Accessibility of the site, including:
o Nearby airports
o Lodging
o Public Transportation
o Car rental options
o Food (are we going to be stuck eating at the location’s cafeteria, or are there places within walking distance?)

Room capacity and access, including:
o Ability to reserve 20+ rooms, including a 150+ seat-capacity auditorium/lecture hall for team meetings/finals/large side events within reasonable walking distance of each other (preferably all of the rooms would be in a single building)
o Availability of rooms for side events and post-match gatherings (mainly theme rounds, but anything else that comes up that we might need rooms for); essentially, we want to make sure that security isn’t going to lock us out of or in the building when we need to have access

Staffing capability, including:
o Number of experienced moderators your organization is able to provide (i.e. people who have successfully read for at least two previous tournaments or some other equivalent experience such that they are capable of running rooms by themselves)
o Number of scorekeepers available (people who will actually show up and help things run smoother at the tournament by assisting in slow rooms, relaying messages, keeping track of score sheets, setting up and breaking down buzzers, et cetera)
o Number of functional buzzer systems your organization is capable of providing

Anything that makes your site stand out, including:
o Is there other stuff to do besides quizbowl?
o Experience in handling large quizbowl events
o Are there speakers / music playing devices in the game rooms that we will have access to?
o Discounts you’ve already worked out with local hotels/car rental places
o Location near a major airport

Interested groups should submit their bids and any queries to the TRASHionals XIII logistical coordinator, Casey Retterer, at casey[at]retterer[dot]net. We look forward to seeing everyone in April!
- Casey Retterer
Formerly of UMDCP
Currently of Oakland Mills HS
geoneb
Lulu

Re: TRASHionals XIII Call for Hosts

Post by geoneb »

Is this actually happening, because I'm planning travel around this tournament and am REALLY peeved that the announcement still hasn't been posted at this late a date.
Ben Seitelman
University of Rochester
ajb498
Kimahri

Post by ajb498 »

I second that. Does anybody know anything about this?

User was warned for lacking a signature.
Andrew Bloomberg
NYU
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I am making a bid for the entire tournament to be held in the Mayo lobby at the University of Minnesota.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ajb498
Kimahri

Post by ajb498 »

That's dangerously close to my home/my sister's med school classes.
Andrew Bloomberg
NYU
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

Not to steal the thunder from the fine folks at TRASH, but I know a few of y'all were wondering and were getting a bit concerned...

We accepted the bid at noon yesterday to host TRASHionals XIII. Barring some unknown last minute reason known only to God, it will be in Athens, Georgia.

As soon as the OFFICIAL announcement is posted, I'll send a link to our team page in regards to lodging, airline info,local events, etc. That page should be live by the end of next week (Mar 5). We will also have a dedicated for this event email if you need to get in touch with me concerning matters on my end. Until then, feel free to private message me on here.

We look forward to hosting y'all in Athens. It took ten years, but we got it here!

TRASH, sorry if I jumped the gun, but the natives were getting restless! :)
Last edited by CSQuizJags on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

CSQuizJags wrote:Barring some unknown last minute reason know only to God, it will be in Athens, Georgia.
TRASHionals: Avoiding the Midwest since 2002!

(This is not intended to disparage the fine folks of Athens. I can think of a lot of places I would less rather go.)
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

No offense taken. We in the South know how you feel (3 of 12..I think. I'll have to pull out my TRASHionals X shirt to remind myself)*.

*Austin, Chattanooga (twice)
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Jamnman23
Lulu

Post by Jamnman23 »

I don't mean to pre-empt the forthcoming logistical information, but I am assuming that most people are expected to fly in through the Atlanta airport. Isn't Atlanta around an hour and a half away from Athens? This seems like a nightmare for anyone flying in or out on Friday and Sunday, which I am guessing is most teams, given the location.
Benjamin Frank
University of Pennsylvania 2012
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

Yes ATL is an option and Athens is 70 miles from there. Friday might take a while but Sunday is not annissue traffic wise. You can for an extra $83 RT fly from ATL to Athens via Georgia Skies which offers 4 flights a day between the two- might make for tight connection in ATL but if you schedule it right it can work.
Besides Athens is much easier to get to than State College PA was in 1999.

If you really had time Greenville SC is another option.
Arthur Banks, Advisor
theBlue88s
Lulu

Post by theBlue88s »

TRASH is pleased to announce that Cedar Shoals High School in Athens, Georgia will be hosting TRASHionals this year. Invitations to teams will be forthcoming. Look to Robin's post for local logistical details.
- Casey Retterer
Formerly of UMDCP
Currently of Oakland Mills HS
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Maybe the traffic in Atlanta is not a big issue, but surely the fact that this tournament should be trying to attract a sizable group of attendees who are not old enough to rent cars is still a significant problem. Unless TRASH doesn't think it's supposed to be doing anything to cater to people under 25...
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Maybe the traffic in Atlanta is not a big issue, but surely the fact that this tournament should be trying to attract a sizable group of attendees who are not old enough to rent cars is still a significant problem. Unless TRASH doesn't think it's supposed to be doing anything to cater to people under 25...
This is something of a myth. Generally so long as you have someone over 21 you can rent a car without much trouble, but you'll have to pay a hefty $25 a day fee if you don't have someone over 25 (see http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-adv ... id=1262493).
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Sure, but it looks like Penn's team is very young. Surely there are teams that might want to go to TRASHionals which do not have a member that is old enough. There are many college teams on the circuit that do not have a 21 year old around.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Sure, but it looks like Penn's team is very young. Surely there are teams that might want to go to TRASHionals which do not have a member that is old enough. There are many college teams on the circuit that do not have a 21 year old around.
"You can for an extra $83 RT fly from ATL to Athens via Georgia Skies." Also, I bet there are shuttles between Atlanta and Athens. Just then take a cab or ask for a ride from the airport to the hotel/university. I mean, it's certainly less than convenient/ideal, but Athens literally must have been the only site that offered to host since that's where it ended up.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

Billy, et.al.

There is a shuttle service between ATL and Athens. I'm close to posting the information on our team page for TRASHionals, which includes this option. I will be calling them (the shuttle service) to see if we can broker a discount for TRASHionals participants. And yes, you can be 21 to rent a car, which is another option.

And I have a feeling we may have well been the only bid, but you know what? Without that bid there wouldn't really be a TRASHionals this year so I'm cool with that- that or they would be scrambling to find something and have fewer teams come because of the 21 day rule for flights and the late(r) announcements. We here are pumped to host this and we hope as many teams that are able to come do indeed come. (Perhaps open the event to teams that didn't get a bid when all bids are accepted or denied? Just a thought.)
Arthur Banks, Advisor