Page 1 of 2

TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 pm
by Jeaton1
I'd like to semi-officially announce The Tournament Involving Digital UniverseS (TIDUS), the sequel to the video game tournament I had written a year and a half prior. This installment will feature six rounds of twenty tossups (with powers!) each -- no bonuses. The distribution will not be concrete but will roughly consist of the following per round:

3-4 Nintendo franchises
3-4 PC games
2 RPGs
1-2 "Behind the scenes" (could include developers, visionaries, video games in pop culture, video game internet memes, video game music, etc)
1-2 common link
A little bit of everything else: FPS, platformers, other genres, Arcade games, Sega, Sony, other 3rd parties, games/characters/places I think are neat, etc

This event needs a home. Any there any hosts that would like to append this tournament to their upcoming events? If you are interested in hosting, please e-mail me at 'jay5006 at aol dot com'. The earliest I can have it done is by Penn Bowl Weekend (January 30th). As the set is only now 60% finished, I do not want to promise that it will be undoubtedly complete by then -- but I will do my absolute greatest to meet this deadline. If the Penn Bowl guys want to squeeze it in, I will post here (and e-mail the TDs) a week before the event to update everyone on the status. If desired, I will also get the set to all mirrors of Penn Bowl (or whoever wants to host for their own inscrutable purposes) as soon as humanely possible.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 pm
by AKKOLADE
oh man awesome

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:39 pm
by Auks Ran Ova
I will kill for this

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:36 am
by Cheynem
Rob wants to add another trophy to his collection of terrible Nintendo 64 games.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:43 am
by Auks Ran Ova
Cheynem wrote:Rob wants to add another trophy to his collection of terrible Nintendo 64 games.
I'm hoping for Carmageddon 64 or Return of the Joker.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 am
by Auroni
i'm in for this

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am
by millionwaves
Ukonvasara wrote:I will kill for this
Hey, I promise I won't leave halfway through if we play this together again.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:28 pm
by Papa's in the House
Count me in.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 pm
by Mike Bentley
We'd probably be interested in running this tournament at UW for our delayed Penn Bowl Trash mirror on 2/21.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 pm
by Lapego1
We'd be very interested in running this with Penn Bowl if it's finished by then. If it's tossups only, it could ostensibly be done during lunch on Saturday (could order in pizza for people playing) or right before Trash on Sunday depending on what people prefer.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm
by Cheynem
If this is finished for Penn Bowl, I'd very much like Northwestern to run this, as its shortened length would make it possible to be run on Saturday and not an additional day.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:38 pm
by dtaylor4
Cheynem wrote:If this is finished for Penn Bowl, I'd very much like Northwestern to run this, as its shortened length would make it possible to be run on Saturday and not an additional day.
If NU will run this, I'll read for it.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:31 pm
by Papa's in the House
dtaylor4 wrote:
Cheynem wrote:If this is finished for Penn Bowl, I'd very much like Northwestern to run this, as its shortened length would make it possible to be run on Saturday and not an additional day.
If NU will run this, I'll read for it.
I'd also like to see it at the Northwestern Penn Bowl mirror.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 am
by evilmonkey
I would like to see this run at Northwestern's Penn Bowl Mirror

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:53 am
by indiaisasubcontinent7
Not to be a bearer of bad news, but NU is not currently planning on running this trash tourney. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, I don't know if I can get people on my team to staff this tournament. We also don't have that many people on the team in the first place...circa 15 on a good day. The best way for me to explain why is to say that they are not as dedicated to quizbowl as many of you and your team members are. Secondly, it might be hard to get rooms that late during the day.

That all being said, I am more than willing to go the extra yard or so to make this tournament work at Northwestern. I just need to point out a few things. Chances are very good that I'll need some people to help staff the tournament. I'll talk to my team on Monday when we have our practice, but I expect them to be very lukewarm about spending any more of their Saturday doing quizbowl stuff. In addition, this tournament needs to be run on Saturday.

If these stipulations are alright with people, I'll make this tournament happen.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:54 am
by dtaylor4
indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:Not to be a bearer of bad news, but NU is not currently planning on running this trash tourney. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, I don't know if I can get people on my team to staff this tournament. We also don't have that many people on the team in the first place...circa 15 on a good day. The best way for me to explain why is to say that they are not as dedicated to quizbowl as many of you and your team members are. Secondly, it might be hard to get rooms that late during the day.

That all being said, I am more than willing to go the extra yard or so to make this tournament work at Northwestern. I just need to point out a few things. Chances are very good that I'll need some people to help staff the tournament. I'll talk to my team on Monday when we have our practice, but I expect them to be very lukewarm about spending any more of their Saturday doing quizbowl stuff. In addition, this tournament needs to be run on Saturday.

If these stipulations are alright with people, I'll make this tournament happen.
You have a staffer right here for any side events.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:18 am
by Cheynem
Like, I would wager that you could have enough staffers just from the teams alone if we had access to facilities.

Example: JECHT at Minnesota Open featured almost no staffers from Minnesota's team.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:01 am
by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
If anyone from Michigan wants to play, I'll staff. I'd put a pretty high probability on that happening.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:11 pm
by sds
squareroot165 wrote:If anyone from Michigan wants to play, I'll staff. I'd put a pretty high probability on that happening.
Seconded. Also, I'm pretty sure running this Saturday night rather than Sunday is far preferable for most people, since there's no need to pay for staying another night.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:29 am
by indiaisasubcontinent7
Northwestern is gonna request a set to mirror after Penn Bowl on Saturday, Jan 30.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:44 pm
by Cheynem
How fortunate! This will simplify everything!

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am
by Auks Ran Ova
Cheynem wrote:How fortunate! This will simplify everything!
We should play together; I don't know if I can trust that dastardly Trygve Meade again. :smile:

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 pm
by Auks Ran Ova
Ukonvasara wrote:
Cheynem wrote:How fortunate! This will simplify everything!
We should play together; I don't know if I can trust that dastardly Trygve Meade again. :smile:
Assuming this is indeed doubles, it looks like Mike and I will be defending our "title".

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:20 pm
by indiaisasubcontinent7
And now, it's official, Tidus will be held at NU after Penn Bowl.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:05 pm
by Sima Guang Hater
I'm pumped

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:48 pm
by Lagotto Romagnolo
Sign me up!

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 am
by Jeaton1
UPDATE: I have less than a full packet of questions to write in a five day period. This is certainly doable so I would like to confirm that this tournament will be ready for Penn Bowl Weekend (Saturday). Prepare for awesome!

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:45 pm
by Cheynem
Good.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:29 am
by indiaisasubcontinent7
Jeaton1 wrote:UPDATE: I have less than a full packet of questions to write in a five day period. This is certainly doable so I would like to confirm that this tournament will be ready for Penn Bowl Weekend (Saturday). Prepare for awesome!
Lovely.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 pm
by Sima Guang Hater
Jeaton1 wrote:UPDATE: I have less than a full packet of questions to write in a five day period. This is certainly doable so I would like to confirm that this tournament will be ready for Penn Bowl Weekend (Saturday). Prepare for awesome!
Dude I'm so ready for awesome.

EDIT: Aaron, want to partner up.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 pm
by Lagotto Romagnolo
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote: EDIT: Aaron, want to partner up.
If it's on Saturday, yes!

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:50 pm
by Mingy Jongo
I cannot wait for Saturday. 15 years of vintage game collecting are finally gonna pay off!

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 am
by Jeaton1
As of about 11:15pm 1/28, the tournament is completely written. I'm going to use tomorrow for final edits, distributing and mixing. I will send out the packets after that is finished some time tomorrow night. The tournament fee will be $5 per player.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:49 pm
by at your pleasure
Due to the postponement of NAREN, could the release of this set be delayed?

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:02 pm
by Mike Bentley
Doink the Clown wrote:Due to the postponement of NAREN, could the release of this set be delayed?
Well, we're not running it at UW until 2/21, so it should at least not be posted or discussed until then.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:45 am
by Cheynem
Non-specifically:

This set made me shout probably the most profanities I ever have at a tournament. BUT IN AN AWESOME WAY.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:35 pm
by dtaylor4
Cheynem wrote:Non-specifically:

This set made me shout probably the most profanities I ever have at a tournament. BUT IN AN AWESOME WAY.
Also, Micah Hodosh is really good at video game questions.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:55 pm
by Cheynem
Really good? More like UNSTOPPABLE. The stats of this set show only part of Micah's greatness--when you actually see how hard this set is, it's even more jaw-dropping.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 pm
by Captain Sinico
Yeah, he was absolutely sick, especially when you consider that his stats are 1/5th a match where we were not at all acclimatized to the set (and thus his teammates negged a ton.) Of course, that effect happens at every tournament, but one usually gets more rounds to average it out and starts out with a better idea of what to expect.

MaS

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 am
by Jeaton1
I hope everyone had a good time on this set thus far; it was a real joy to work on and I'm glad to finally be able to share it everyone. Thanks to Sid at Penn who helped to organize the few rounds we did at lunch during Penn Bowl and also much thanks to Eric who organized an awesome dinner/packet reading event at his place. Since this set will be played eventually at NAREN and the Washington Penn Bowl Trash mirror in this near future, I'd like to again request that specifics not be discussed until those events have passed. However, if you have any glaring criticisms or comments that can't wait until then or you think you might forget, I'm always glad to hear feedback and you can notify me via the e-mail listed above.

Thanks for playing!

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:58 am
by Mingy Jongo
I came all the way from Cleveland with this tournament as my priority. After the first two rounds at lunch, I was told the tourney would resume at 6:30-7. I came back then, and was told that it would either be postponed or cancelled due to the lateness of the academic sets (which I was not participating in). I gave the director my number to call when he figured out what was going on, as I was only 15 minutes away from the school. I never received a call, so I assumed it was cancelled, and next day at trash I found out it took place. I am not very happy.

The two packets I played were good, though the first was heavily skewed towards very recent games, and I buzzed in with an answer closely related to the correct answer on a clue that might have been ambiguous, but I sure wouldn't want to ruin any answers for anyone else who's going to play the set, so I won't say anything more for now.

edited to remove question-specific content from a set that's not been mirrored - The Management

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 am
by Lapego1
Mingy Jongo wrote:I came all the way from Cleveland with this tournament as my priority. After the first two rounds at lunch, I was told the tourney would resume at 6:30-7. I came back then, and was told that it would either be postponed or cancelled due to the lateness of the academic sets (which I was not participating in). I gave the director my number to call when he figured out what was going on, as I was only 15 minutes away from the school. I never received a call, so I assumed it was cancelled, and next day at trash I found out it took place. I am not very happy.
Sorry, dude. It was kind of assembled impromptu between Eric and some Maryland/VCU(?) folks after Penn Bowl's conclusion, and I really didn't know it had coalesced into anything any earlier than you did.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 pm
by Lagotto Romagnolo
I went 0-1-1 at this tournament and it was the most fun I had all weekend. Thanks Jeremy!

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:10 am
by Cody
Mingy Jongo wrote:I came all the way from Cleveland with this tournament as my priority. After the first two rounds at lunch, I was told the tourney would resume at 6:30-7. I came back then, and was told that it would either be postponed or cancelled due to the lateness of the academic sets (which I was not participating in). I gave the director my number to call when he figured out what was going on, as I was only 15 minutes away from the school. I never received a call, so I assumed it was cancelled, and next day at trash I found out it took place. I am not very happy.

The two packets I played were good, though the first was heavily skewed towards very recent games, and I buzzed in with an answer closely related to the correct answer on a clue that might have been ambiguous, but I sure wouldn't want to ruin any answers for anyone else who's going to play the set, so I won't say anything more for now.

edited to remove question-specific content from a set that's not been mirrored - The Management
I hear they're running this during lunch at TJ's NAREN on 2/20, if you are still so enthusiastic about playing.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:56 pm
by Mingy Jongo
SirT wrote: I hear they're running this during lunch at TJ's NAREN on 2/20, if you are still so enthusiastic about playing.
Thanks for letting me know that. I'll see if our team wants to go.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:36 pm
by swwFCqb
NAREN is a high school tournament dude.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm
by Cheynem
I assume he could still show up at lunch and play TIDUS, or perhaps staff.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:07 pm
by Mingy Jongo
Whoops, sorry. Didn't realize that.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:36 am
by Jeaton1
The last mirror of this tournament was finished yesterday, so this set is now open for specifics discussion. Again, it was a great pleasure to create this set and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

Re: TIDUS: The Son of JECHT (tentative)

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:23 pm
by Sima Guang Hater
Jeaton1 wrote:The last mirror of this tournament was finished yesterday, so this set is now open for specifics discussion. Again, it was a great pleasure to create this set and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.
My only complaint that comes to mind was that Piastol didn't come up in the scythe tossup.