Announcement: Region 11 NAQT SCT at Missouri State (2/6/10)

Old college threads.
penforprez
Lulu

Announcement: Region 11 NAQT SCT at Missouri State (2/6/10)

Post by penforprez »

We would like to formally announce the Region 11 SCT to be held at Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri on Saturday, February 6, 2010. Paul Nelson will be the SCT director in cooperation with Missouri State and Missouri S&T. We strongly encourage all teams in Region 11 (Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska) to attend, as well as teams from Arkansas and other neighboring states that would find Springfield convenient. Teams from states that border Region 11 can attend the Region 11 SCT if our SCT would be closer.

We plan on running separate Division I and Division II fields with a title for the top Division I undergrad team. More information on eligibility can be found on the NAQT website here: http://naqt.com/college/collegiate-eligibility.html. The top teams in each division will win bids to the 2010 NAQT ICT on April 9-11, 2010.

The tournament will run on official timed NAQT rules, including nine-minute halves, negs and powers. Official NAQT rules may be found here: http://www.naqt.com/rules.html.

The fee schedule will work as follows:

First team base fee: $120
Second (and subsequent) team base fee: $100
Teams that have not attended or hosted an SCT in the last two years: -$40
Fully functioning buzzer system: -$5 each (maximum of two buzzers per school)
Fully functioning game clock (must be visible to both teams): -$5
Teams traveling over 200 miles (as defined by Google Maps): -$10
Experienced staffer (approved by the TD): -$10

Minimum fee: $70 ($50 for new teams)

Hotels: Hotel details are TBA. We are currently compiling a list of hotels near the Missouri State campus, and we plan to try to negotiate a discount on a block of rooms.

If you would like to come to the Region 11 SCT, please email tournament director Paul Nelson at [email protected] with how many Division I and Division II teams you are bringing, plus the number of buzzers, clocks and staffers you plan to bring. If you have any questions beforehand, please email Paul and let him know.

Thank you in advance for your interest in the Region 11 SCT. We will be posting occasional updates on hsquizbowl.org, the Missouri quizbowl message board (http://www.moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1997) and Paul Nelson's quizbowl Twitter page at http://twitter.com/PaulQB. We look forward to seeing all of you in Springfield on February 6!
Paul Nelson
Cuba (MO) High School ('98)
B.A.--Missouri S&T/UMR ('02)
NAQT writer/Missouri organizer (2004-'10)
President emeritus, Missouri Quizbowl Alliance
Working western New York tournaments ('13-?)
Daegan
Lulu

Re: Announcement: Region 11 NAQT SCT at Missouri State (2/6/10)

Post by Daegan »

A campus map is available:
http://search.missouristate.edu/map

An iPhone/Droid map is available (bookmark):
http://search.missouristate.edu/map/mobile
Ray Lehnhoff
Missouri State University '12
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

We would like to formally announce that we have reached an agreement for a special hotel rate with the Quality Inn South in Springfield at Highway 65 and Battlefield, which is in the southeastern corner of Springfield. The hotel is about 10 to 15-ish minutes from the Missouri State campus; unfortunately, there was not a good option within walking distance.

http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-springf ... ouri-MO079

The rate for the night of February 5 is $49.99 plus tax; when reserving a room, you have to mention the "NAQT Sectionals" rate. You can reserve a room by calling the hotel at (417) 889-6300. We have reserved a block of 15 rooms at that rate; we can reserve more if needed. Quad occupancy is not a problem.

The hotel offers standard mid-level hotel amenities: hot breakfast items are available (which does conflict with what the website says, but I verbally confirmed that with hotel management) beginning at 6:30 A.M., free wireless Internet, fitness center, business center, etc.

If you have any questions or problems with this, please feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected].
Paul Nelson
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Field update (as of 2-2):

Division 1

Truman State (UG)
WUSTL (3 teams, two UG)
Missouri (UG)
Oklahoma State (UG)
Oklahoma

Division 2

Harding
Truman State (3 teams)
WUSTL
Missouri S&T
Mineral Area CC

This roster will be updated as teams sign up.
Last edited by penforprez on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Nelson
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

WUSTL's probably bringing 2 D-1, 1 D-2

We will let you know for sure this weekend.
John Ahlfield
WUSTL
Liberty High School 2007
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

johnboy81918 wrote:WUSTL's probably bringing 2 D-1, 1 D-2

We will let you know for sure this weekend.
Thanks! :smile:
Paul Nelson
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

Two things:

We're bringing three D-1 teams (two UG).

Also, are there weather plans?
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

NotjustoldWASPs wrote:Two things:

We're bringing three D-1 teams (two UG).
Good deal. :smile:
NotjustoldWASPs wrote:Also, are there weather plans?
I'm watching the situation closely and I've been updating teams daily as to the weather status. The weather is not going to be great, but it looks like we'll be OK to have the tournament Saturday. I talked to Jason Loy at Missouri State this evening and he said the roads that way were fine, but that may very well change.
Paul Nelson
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

I've been meaning to update this thread for the last couple of days, and I apologize that I have not. I have sent emails to teams throughout this week with tournament developments.

We currently have seven teams in both divisions, so the plan is to do a double round robin in each division. If any team clears the field, they will win outright. A two-way tie will be settled in a one-round final. A larger circle of death will be settled by half-rounds as necessary. This will be adjusted if teams do not show on Saturday.

Trophies will be awarded to the champions in Division I, Division I Undergrad, and Division II. Books will be awarded to the top six individuals in each division.

Ms. Beth Bailey, the Region 11 ACUI coordinator, should be coming out from her office at Kansas State for the tournament, weather permitting. I look forward to having her participate in this event and having future SCT's in this area work with local ACUI officers.

The weather has been the biggest issue in my mind all week. A mild winter storm is making its way through Missouri and neighboring states tonight and tomorrow, with some sleet in places tonight changing to all snow and lasting through tomorrow. We briefly had sleet in St. Louis this evening (which didn't stick), and I also got reports of brief sleet in Rolla and Springfield this evening. Jason Loy at Missouri State told me that the roads in that area are OK, and I will be keeping an eye on the situation tomorrow morning.

The current weather advisory for Springfield says that light snow tomorrow will taper off by tomorrow afternoon or early evening (two to four inches of accumulation mostly in grassy areas is forecast). MoDOT usually does a pretty good job keeping the main highways and Interstates cleared, so I think it should be fine. I do urge everyone traveling tomorrow to be extra careful; we know how quickly things can change in this part of the country. I've been keeping NAQT apprised of the situation, and we have reviewed procedures in case the weather does take a turn for the worse.

If anybody has any questions or concerns, please email me at [email protected]. I will have access to my email until about 11:30 tomorrow morning. I look forward to seeing all of you in Springfield Saturday! :smile:
Paul Nelson
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

I just emailed a weather update to teams, which I will post most of here.

We have rain in St. Louis currently, there's light snow in Kansas City and it's cloudy in Springfield. Snow and a mix of snow and rain is currently falling along the MO/KS/OK border and east almost to Springfield. Light to moderate snow is expected through this morning in KC and the same is expected much of the day in Springfield, ending sometime this evening.

St. Louis is predicted to get more of a mix this morning, changing to snow today (two to five inches possible in the St. Louis metro) and ending by midnight, with the same forecast for Columbia. The temperature will hover just above freezing through midnight. The forecast for northeast Oklahoma and northwestern Arkansas calls for light rain only this morning.

Roads are mostly clear in southern Missouri. MO 7 and 13 southeast of KC are clear, but U.S. 71 is covered south almost to Joplin. Interstate 44 is currently clear through almost all of Missouri, and all roads are clear south of the I-44 corridor. All roads are covered in northern Missouri and roads are mostly partially covered in central Missouri, including U.S. 63 and U.S. 54

All roads are clear in Oklahoma and Arkansas, but heavy fog was still reported in central Oklahoma at 9 Central Time this morning.

Based on this, the tournament looks pretty much certain for tomorrow, barring any sudden change that the weather people did not anticipate. Again, please be careful out there today and tomorrow morning. I will be at my email ([email protected]) until 11 this morning; my cell number has been emailed to teams in case they need to contact me beyond that.
Paul Nelson
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

This went pretty well! I had a fun day, even though I only got 4 questions (and two negs)!

Thanks to all the moderators, scorekeepers and staff, and to all the competition we had today. It was wonderful to see everyone again and meet some new people as well.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

Truman State A did not finish two games clear of the Division II field, yet no advantage final was played in DII -- Truman A was declared the winner and all teams went home after Round 14. In :chip: 's word, why? Is there not an actual NAQT rule that would mandate a final be held? I can't find one on the Web site at this time, but then I can't find anything about regulation tournament schedules on the site.

EDIT: Other than the above, thanks very much to everyone who came together and made this a textbook tournament.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

As already noted, we did have our Sectional in Springfield today. A total of 14 teams (seven in each division) braved some slightly rough elements on Friday (most of Missouri had light to moderate snow at times on Friday) to participate in the Region 11 Sectional at Missouri State. A double round-robin was held in both divisions. After a slightly late start, we ran pretty close to the schedule the rest of the day, and we didn't have any major problems.

In Division I, WUSTL A (led by Gordon Arsenoff) went undefeated (12-0) through 14 rounds winning the overall Division I title by two games over Charlie Dees' Mizzou team (finishing 10-2). Mizzou easily won the DI Undergrad title, clearing the UG field by five games. In Division II, Truman State A defeated Harding in the final round to avoid a three-way circle of death, winning the DII title with an 11-1 record. WUSTL's D2 team finished second at 10-2 and Harding finished a strong third place at 9-3.

Trophies were awarded to all three champions, all of whom also receive automatic bids to ICT. Books were awarded to the top six scorers in each division, with a special surprise that Sean Phillips thought up. Those scorers, in order:

Division I

Charlie Dees, Mizzou 110.83 PPG (including one round of 160 points)
Gordon Arsenoff, WUSTL A 89.58 PPG
Brian Morrow, Oklahoma 50.83 PPG (corrected due to an error in one round)
Ryan Stander, Truman State 45.83 PPG
Dylan Hames, Oklahoma State 40.42 PPG
Mohit Iyyer, WUSTL B 36.25

Division II There's actually a slight problem with the DII individual stats on one player that I just now caught, which I need to go through the scoresheets and check (I'll announce any necessary changes as soon as I check the sheets, and these results have not been officially reported to NAQT yet). Here are the stats as we announced them.

Spencer Fish, WUSTL 61.25 PPG
Caleb Robbins, Harding 60 PPG
Kevin Lang, Truman State A 53.33 PPG
Amanda, Truman State B 36.67 PPG
Jared McNett, Truman State A 36.25 PPG
Alex Smith, Missouri S&T 35.42

(EDIT: These numbers are correct. Somehow, my SQBS file got four of Spencer's games mixed up, but I went back and rechecked the math manually, and he was the top DII scorer and that average is correct.)

That fight for the DII top scorer was amazing to watch as I entered stats all day. Spencer, Caleb and Kevin all swapped the lead several times throughout the day in a classic quizbowl battle.

This tournament was a collective effort; I worked very closely with Missouri State and Missouri S&T to find an ideal site and get it properly staffed. I want to offer my heartiest thanks to both schools, especially Missouri State for agreeing to host this. Missouri State is running its fair share of tournaments this year, and I hated to impose. Jason Loy was great to work with, as always. Many thanks to Jason, Phil and everyone on the MSU team for working with me to make this successful.

Many thanks also go to Chad and Shelly Kubichek and Jeffery Hill (who helped me out with a couple of issues), all of whom braved the snow in KC to come and help out . My thanks also to Matt Chadbourne from Missouri S&T for helping me with staff and moderating today. I also want to express my continued undying gratitude to Sean Phillips, who is always there for me no matter what I'm trying to do, and really gave it his all today (as he does every day). A person could not ask for a better friend and ally than Sean. :smile: Finally, thanks to all the teams who attended. I hope you guys had fun.
Last edited by penforprez on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Nelson
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The tournament schedule stuff is here.

We recommend, but do not mandate, finals. (Cf. the discussion I had with Andy Watkins yesterday, re: scenarios in which you can't run finals after double round robin because the backup packet has already been burned by some kind of emergency.) Obviously we'll be clarifying all of this before next year's SCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

The Friar wrote:Truman State A did not finish two games clear of the Division II field, yet no advantage final was played in DII -- Truman A was declared the winner and all teams went home after Round 14. In :chip: 's word, why? Is there not an actual NAQT rule that would mandate a final be held? I can't find one on the Web site at this time, but then I can't find anything about regulation tournament schedules on the site.

EDIT: Other than the above, thanks very much to everyone who came together and made this a textbook tournament.
My preference originally was to do an advantaged final; this was before both divisions were double round robin. Since this required 14 games (and we only get 16 packets), my concern (with some informed advice that I received) was that an advantaged final might result in an extreme situation where we would run out of questions. The chances of that happening were very slim, and I was aware of that. I preferred to avoid that possibility. This was probably over-cautious on my part, and if it was, I do apologize. The decision was mine, and I take full responsibility for that.

We actually had to burn one or two tossups from the last packet today, so we probably could not have done an advantaged final. I did consult with Chad Kubichek on this issue, and since we did have the burned tossup in the last packet, the problem essentially became moot, so I made the decision to stick to my original format. Again, I apologize if this was the wrong decision to make.
Paul Nelson
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

penforprez wrote:My preference originally was to do an advantaged final; this was before both divisions were double round robin. Since this required 14 games (and we only get 16 packets), my concern (with some informed advice that I received) was that an advantaged final might result in an extreme situation where we would run out of questions. The chances of that happening were very slim, and I was aware of that. I preferred to avoid that possibility. This was probably over-cautious on my part, and if it was, I do apologize.
Over-cautious is a good word for it. It was certainly possible at the outset that a tie for second would leave an insufficient number of packets to play a two-game final. However, as of the end of the double round robin, the chances of that happening were not only very slim, there were none.
penforprez wrote:I've been meaning to update this thread for the last couple of days, and I apologize that I have not. I have sent emails to teams throughout this week with tournament developments.

We currently have seven teams in both divisions, so the plan is to do a double round robin in each division. If any team clears the field, they will win outright. A two-way tie will be settled in a one-round final.
I would appreciate other people's input on this, but I'm pretty sure the consensus definition of the phrase "clears the field" entails having a two-game lead over the next best-finishing team. In these terms it seems like this announcement leaves the case of a one-game lead after preliminary rounds undefined. Still, thanks for posting in advance what I didn't get around to scrolling up and reading last night to address this. I'm still just not sure it's in compliance with formats NAQT approves for use, so it'd be nice to hear from someone who can find the published rules on that.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Yes, we're going to clarify our finals policy for next year.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

The Friar wrote:Over-cautious is a good word for it. It was certainly possible at the outset that a tie for second would leave an insufficient number of packets to play a two-game final. However, as of the end of the double round robin, the chances of that happening were not only very slim, there were none.
If "no final unless the top two teams are tied" was announced at the start of the tournament, then changing that after the tournament would be pretty unfair.
I'm still just not sure it's in compliance with formats NAQT approves for use, so it'd be nice to hear from someone who can find the published rules on that.
In past experience, NAQT may recommend finals for SCTs in this situation, but they're not required and haven't been for a while. As a specific example, the 2007 Midwest SCT was won by Carleton A at 13-1 after a DRR, one game ahead of 12-2 Wisconsin.
The "elimination policy" also backs this up:
The rule does not forbid the fact that, in retrospect, the tournament "hinged" on a single game. For instance, if 14 teams play a full round-robin and one finishes 13-0 and one finishes 12-1, the undefeated team may be awarded the title even though it's true that flipping the result of a single game would alter the results. What would be prohibited would be having a one-game final between the two top teams since the 12-1 team could win the title in one game despite its opponent originally having a better record.
Last edited by jonpin on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

Hey, like, wow. Good digging. Thanks for finding that. As I said, I went looking for a document like that and couldn't find it. So, that's a surprising rule on NAQT's part, but not an ex ante bad one, so it definitely is what we signed up for and it was implemented as suggested. Thanks to you both for walking me through that, Paul and Jon.

Also, what I haven't said so far is thanks for getting us through the full-size double round robin in textbook manner. 14 rounds plus lunch and out the door by 5:45 (wasn't it?), even with one team (I'm not mentioning any names) arriving unnecessarily late, is a great job.
Last edited by The Friar on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

The Friar wrote:Also, what I haven't said so far is thanks for getting us through the full-size double round robin in textbook manner. 14 rounds plus lunch and out the door by 5:45 (wasn't it?), even with one team (I'm not mentioning any names) arriving unnecessarily late, is a great job.
Thank you! :smile: I really wanted all the experienced people who came from far away (nearly half of my staff was from KC or St. Louis) for that very reason. All the moderators knew what they had to do, they went and did it, and they did it very efficiently. I'm very grateful to all the staff we had yesterday, and they all did a wonderful job keeping the tournament pretty well on time.

On another note, I looked at the D2 SQBS file from yesterday, and something in the file is not calculating correctly. This is related to the problem of Spencer Fish having only eight games to his credit when he actually played 12; I manually recalculated his PPG, and the average I announced for him yesterday is correct. I talked to Matt Chadbourne about it, and he had never seen the problem before. Since it can't be fixed, I'm currently reentering all of the D2 stats into a new file. It doesn't look like anything is going to be affected, which is the good news. I hope to have the new corrected file uploaded very soon.
Paul Nelson
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Hey, very well run tournament - Harding had a TON of fun. The readers all were easy to understand and most consistently got us all the way through the packets.

Thanks a bunch to Paul for being a great TD, Jason for hosting, and all the other staffers for working well.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Corrected stats have been uploaded and reported to NAQT.
Paul Nelson