Quiz Bowl Tournament Posting System (QBTPS)

Old college threads.
Daegan
Lulu

Quiz Bowl Tournament Posting System (QBTPS)

Post by Daegan »

Hey all,

So it's been a good while since I first posted about this system, and I feel like it's time to make a few updates about it, as well as announcements..

1) I added a Google Maps API implementation. Any tournament that is added to my database will automatically be added to this map (which is still seeing development, but in general will work how it is now) http://qbtournaments.com/map.aspx

2) All tournaments in my database will automatically be added to my calendar. This is at http://qbtournaments.com/calendar.aspx I'm open to suggestions on changing the data that you receive upon clicking on the active dates (click 12/19 for example of a current tournament), but seeing as it takes you to the uber-detail page, I don't see why this any further information is needed.

I'll probably add in a state or region filter later on down the road.

3) The stat system is more or less in place. I'm toying with how to handle TUHs as the current system isn't as friendly as the rest of web application.

[after stat finalization, you have to fill in how many tossups each player heard - while this is as easy as putting 8 20s for some, high school games are apt to have tons of substitutions]

I still need to iron out the stat and record system, but it's still coming along. I have the SQL code to track the PPG and other stats of individual players, it's just not in place yet.

Possible feature:

Jerry mentioned this idea to me a while back, and I thought I'd resurface the idea:
My database design would easily allow an extension to have tournament directors assign question categories to teams (on the website). They would then go in through a system, click the category (say, Computer Science) and write a tossup/bonus for it in a rich text box. After it's written, they may finalize it. Tournament Directors would then be able to edit the questions (along with editors), and after editing is complete, they could export the entire packet. This would essentially allow for a completely format-war free packet submission method, and would ensure that all the packets are safe and in a centralized location.

I realize this isn't ideal for 100% of the tournaments in the world, but for some I could see a huge benefit here. If I implemented this system, would anyone be interested in using it?

And yes, I can automatically export to Word format, preserving text formatting from the web app.
Ray Lehnhoff
Missouri State University '12
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Re: Quiz Bowl Tournament Posting System (QBTPS)

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

A phone number is required. It is nice to have that contact, for day of things, but why am I posting my phone number up to everyone? I prefer to just send it out to teams in an email.

Also I get a server error when I try to submit a tournament.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Daegan
Lulu

Post by Daegan »

nalin wrote:A phone number is required. It is nice to have that contact, for day of things, but why am I posting my phone number up to everyone? I prefer to just send it out to teams in an email.

Also I get a server error when I try to submit a tournament.
A big problem with TDs is that they neglect to post phone numbers, or a phone number is not accessible. This information is obscured to anyone that doesn't have an account (so Google won't index your number and email address, and neither will spam bots..)

I've submitted 2-3 test tournaments and haven't received any errors from it (and other have as well). Can you PM me the error details so I can look into it?
Ray Lehnhoff
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

Daegan wrote:I'm toying with how to handle TUHs as the current system isn't as friendly as the rest of web application.

[after stat finalization, you have to fill in how many tossups each player heard - while this is as easy as putting 8 20s for some, high school games are apt to have tons of substitutions]
If, down the road, you want to do individual buzrmetrics like how strong is each player/is each player within each category/etc., you'll need to know not only how many tossups (cycles, really) each player heard, but which ones. Which players were in the game should be getting recorded every time a toss-up is submitted. Perhaps a fieldset of eight (or a customizable number of) drop-down menus from which to select which players have butts in seats at any time? (Or, better, checkboxes up to four of which per team could be selected at once? I haven't looked up how to make them work like radio buttons that way but I bet it is doable.)
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
Daegan
Lulu

Post by Daegan »

While I agree with you Gordon, I'm not sure how to implement a decent system without making queries extremely complicated.

Avram suggested having a hideable modal window that would have the check boxes and things within it, as you only need to toggle that data during substitutions, and that may be a route I'll go. I'm not too certain at this point, though.

I'm going to put more thought into it after finals week and finish the stat input/outputs. I'm going to try to provide as much data as humanly possible to the quizbowl community from this system, just finding a way to do it without making score keepers take 10 years per round is a challenge.
Ray Lehnhoff
Daegan
Lulu

Post by Daegan »

Against my better judgment, I've removed the requirements for a phone number.

While it's not required, it's HIGHLY encouraged to add this information the day before your tournament, and it can always be removed later.
Ray Lehnhoff