HS teams playing college tournaments

Old college threads.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Re: HS teams playing college tournaments

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Whig's Boson wrote:
quizbowllee wrote: My point is simply that this was a poll of the best COLLEGE TEAMS. High school teams, no matter how good they are, are NOT college teams. Period.
"college team" could also be defined as "team that plays college packets". If it quacks like a duck...
Yes. While they are not college teams, they play at college tournaments, and I'd expect them to continue to do this the rest of the year. Their rankings, and inclusion in the rankings, is perfectly legit.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Easily the most interesting question raised in this thread was Michael Arnold asking if high schools teams would actually be that good at ACF Nats level, and do they deserve the rankings they got? I assumed that the rankings were in order of prospective ACF Nats performances, and ranked accordingly; have I misunderstood the poll?
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

TheKingInYellow wrote:Easily the most interesting question raised in this thread was Michael Arnold asking if high schools teams would actually be that good at ACF Nats level, and do they deserve the rankings they got? I assumed that the rankings were in order of prospective ACF Nats performances, and ranked accordingly; have I misunderstood the poll?

It's pretty nebulous, but that's definitely as fine a way of ranking teams as any.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Also, in regards to those college players that are nervous about high school teams playing college events and possibly swamping college teams out, it's worth nothing that not only will more sites for college tournaments appear to compensate for greater demand, but high school teams constitute more income for the college circuit (thus making it stronger). Finally, I imagine high schools are generally prompt with full payments, which is always nice.

Incidentally, if the number of high school teams increases, with some teams serving as regular attenders of collegiate events, wouldn't a good idea be to eliminate (or reduce) the high school team discount for those teams (say, teams that attended 2+ college events in the previous season or at least 1 this season) and either profit more from those teams or redirect more money into "New to Quizbowl" discounts?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Feel free to vote for any B teams or High school teams that you feel are top 25 material.
Fair enough. I can admit when I'm wrong. And clearly I was. Based on the criteria of this poll, State College and Maggie Walker are definitely deserving of appearing on the rankings.

I don't, however, regret bringing up the other questions inherent to this trend. While some people are questioning my motives for doing so, my only motive was to ask questions and begin a conversation about some issues that are important to quiz bowl players. I think that in that regard I was successful.

Congrats to State College and Maggie Walker. I look forward (sort of :wink: ) to seeing you at Nationals.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Precious Roy wrote:
TheKingInYellow wrote:Easily the most interesting question raised in this thread was Michael Arnold asking if high schools teams would actually be that good at ACF Nats level, and do they deserve the rankings they got? I assumed that the rankings were in order of prospective ACF Nats performances, and ranked accordingly; have I misunderstood the poll?

It's pretty nebulous, but that's definitely as fine a way of ranking teams as any.
In theory, the goal of Nationals is none other than to correctly rank teams, right?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source