Mid-Atlantic TRASH Regionals at VCU (Richmond) Sunday Nov. 8

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Mid-Atlantic TRASH Regionals at VCU (Richmond) Sunday Nov. 8

Post by Matt Weiner »

The Mid-Atlantic site for TRASH Regionals 2009 will be held at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond on Sunday, November 8.

To register, e-mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. I will not count posts in this thread as official registrations; you must e-mail me.

ELIGIBILITY: As an official TRASH event, this tournament is open to any team who wishes to play, including combinations of people from different colleges and people who are not in college. Any high school teams or other minors who attend will be understood to communicate, by the act of registering, their comprehension and acceptance of the fact that the questions are intended (in both difficulty and language) for a college-aged and post-college audience.

PACKETS/PRICES: This tournament is entirely written by TRASH; as such, packet submission is neither required nor possible. We are charging a base fee of $100 per team, with $5 discounts for each working set of buzzers (no maximum), $5 discounts for laptops (maximum 1 per team), and $15 discounts for providing a staffer for either this tournament or our high school tournament the previous day (no maximum). This means that if your whole TRASH Regionals team shows up on Saturday to staff our high school tournament, you get $60 off your TRASH Regionals entry fee.

LOCATION/DIRECTIONS: The tournament will take place on VCU's Monroe Park campus (aka "Academic Campus") in Hibbs Hall. Meet in room 440 between 8:15 and 8:45.
-The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.
-It is almost certain that the one and only door to Hibbs which will be unlocked for the weekend is the door on the north (interior) side of the vestibule that is on the library side of the building. We will endeavor to have signs up that point you to this door.
-On Sundays, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you can try parking on Floyd Avenue near the Commons, or, further south, on Main Street. If all else fails, you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between zero and five dollars to park all day on a Sunday.
-We won't be providing breakfast. There are 7-11s along Harrison at both the Main Street and Grace Street intersections, which are three blocks south and north of the tournament building respectively. If you prefer to sit down and/or eat hot food, the Village Cafe at Harrison and Grace is open for breakfast.

TIMES: Registration will run from 8:15 to 8:45, with the goal of starting Round 1 as soon as possible after 8:45.

FORMAT: Each team will play at least 11 games, and the tournament will end with ACF-format finals (that is, you must clear the field by 2 games to win, or else play a weighted best-of-three final of up to two games). The specific format will be determined once the field size is known. Games will be played under the official TRASH rules, which are essentially identical to the ACF rules, except with bonus laming added.

PAYMENT: All teams must pay on Sunday morning, in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check. Checks must be made out to "Quizbowl at VCU," and not any other person or entity. If you are a collegiate program and you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. Otherwise, all teams will receive invoices at the tournament.

Post here or mail me if you have any further questions about the tournament itself, travel strategies, or so forth.

--Matt Weiner, tournament director, TRASH Regionals Mid-Atlantic
[email protected]

Teams so far (to be edited as registrations come in):

Dan Goff + people
Maryland A
Maryland B
House team
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Re: Mid-Atlantic TRASH Regionals at VCU (Richmond) Sunday Nov. 8

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

It doesn't look like our usual team is going to be playing, so I will throw my hat in the ring as a free agent. I'll be staffing the high school tournament the day before, so my entry comes with a $15 discount.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
glorious achievement
Lulu

Post by glorious achievement »

Never mind.
Dan Christman-Crook
University of Pittsburgh
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Stacy: Attack of the Schoolgirl Zombies wrote:It doesn't look like our usual team is going to be playing, so I will throw my hat in the ring as a free agent. I'll be staffing the high school tournament the day before, so my entry comes with a $15 discount.
It turns out my team won't be available for the Saturday tournament, so I'll volunteer as a free agent for this tourney as well. I'll be sans the $15 discount, but I can offer transport from the DC area.

So, if I wind up on a team with Goff, any chance we'll be able to claim victory off NASCAR and Dukes of Hazzard knowledge?

E-mail at howitsac-gmail-periodcom if interested in this. I figure I'm good for about a tossup a game, so I'm unlikely to make the trip without a team to score some points for me.
Last edited by Howard on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

I may or may not be bringing someone with me, as well.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

VCU's house team containing Matt Weiner cleared the four team field to win TRASH Regionals

Stats here:
http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

I kind of love it that Matt is a great trash player. Who are the other quiz bowl players who are stars at both trash and academic?
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Unless an academic player is genuinely uninterested in trash, most people who are good at the game of quizbowl are pretty good at trash too because a lot of the skills to be good at both (retention, intellectual curiosity, etc.).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

Not in Canada!
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

My former teammate Brendan Newton was pretty good at both quizbowl and trash, but most of my other former teammates disdained the latter.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.