EFT Mirror at Toronto, October 3, 2009

Old college threads.
maxis7
Lulu

EFT Mirror at Toronto, October 3, 2009

Post by maxis7 »

I'm happy to announce a mirror of Brown's Early Fall Tournament (EFT) at the University of Toronto. The EFT has a great reputation as a tournament targeted towards first-time players and should be a success in its Canadian debut. The tournament director is Jason Dickson, who can be reached at [email protected]

Tournament details (borrowed from the other mirror threads):

Packet Submission

Thanks to Brown writing the whole tournament, you do not need to submit any packets.

Registration

To register, please e-mail Jason at [email protected]
Please be sure to include the name of your university and the number of teams, buzzers and moderators that you'll be bringing. We have a tentative field cap of 20 teams, with around 17 spots already taken. If you plan to pay by check (or cheque), please address those to "Jason Dickson".

Fee Structure

All fees in Canadian dollars.

Base Fee: $100
Buzzer Discount: $10/working buzzer
Moderator Discount: $20/moderator used.
Travel Discount: $10 for every 200 miles traveled

Location and Time

The tournament will be held on the 2nd floor of the Bahen Centre for Information Technology (40 St. George St.) and we will start at 9:00 AM. This location also has the advantage of being close to a variety of eating places on College Street and Spadina Avenue.

For parking locations, please consult:

http://www.parking.utoronto.ca/Asset352.aspx?method=1

In addition to the Bahen underground lot (#17), there should be plenty of parking at Simcoe (#18). King's College Circle will likely also have
spaces on a Saturday.

Miscellaneous

Visitors to Toronto might be interested in Nuit Blanche, an all-night contemporary art festival scheduled for this Saturday. You can find a good overview here:

http://www.martiniboys.com/Toronto/arti ... 13434.html

Field Update:

Ottawa (3 teams)
RIT
Western Ontario
Guelph (3 teams)
Case Western
Waterloo (2 teams)
McMaster (2 teams)
Michigan (3 teams)
Toronto (2 house teams)
Last edited by maxis7 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 am, edited 14 times in total.
Chris Lionel, University of Toronto
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Re: EFT Mirror at Toronto, October 3, 2009

Post by MicroEStudent »

With or without administration approval, RIT will be sending a team.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I believe those first 2 spots are from Ottawa (I sent in the info). See you there!
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

The University of Guelph will be bringing some indefinite number of teams to this.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Western will be sending a team to this.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

Initial announcement has been updated to reflect all the new signups. I guess we are still waiting on McMaster and maybe Wilfrid Laurier and Rochester?
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

maxis7 wrote:I guess we are still waiting on McMaster and maybe Wilfrid Laurier and Rochester?
Possibly Waterloo, Queen's and McGill as well?
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

Camelopardalis wrote:
maxis7 wrote:I guess we are still waiting on McMaster and maybe Wilfrid Laurier and Rochester?
Possibly Waterloo, Queen's and McGill as well?
Oh yeah, I somehow thought Waterloo had already signed up. Thanks
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Waterloo will be attending, probably with either 1-2 teams.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

haven't talked to anyone at mac yet, but we are a possibility.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
University of Toronto 2015
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Ottawa might be able to field a team called "Canadians who played quizbowl in high school" (depending on travel arrangements). After 4 years, the OQT is finally bearing fruit. :party:
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

bsmith wrote:Ottawa might be able to field a team called "Canadians who played quizbowl in high school" (depending on travel arrangements). After 4 years, the OQT is finally bearing fruit. :party:
That's great news. Will this be be in addition to the two teams you have already registered?
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

maxis7 wrote:That's great news. Will this be be in addition to the two teams you have already registered?
We'll see. It depends on how many of the new people are willing and available; in particular, there's an older student who would be able to rent another car. Two teams are all that's certain for now.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Michigan is planning on sending 2-3 teams
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

bsmith wrote:
maxis7 wrote:That's great news. Will this be be in addition to the two teams you have already registered?
We'll see. It depends on how many of the new people are willing and available; in particular, there's an older student who would be able to rent another car. Two teams are all that's certain for now.
Ok, thanks.

squareroot165 wrote:Michigan is planning on sending 2-3 teams
That's great news! Field updated.
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

We're sending 2 teams.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Barring any last-minute drops, Ottawa will have 9 people. We will be flexible (even up to game morning) on whether you want us to be 2 or 3 teams, because I know game-morning attendance/schedule antics are bound to come up...
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

MacSR wrote:We're sending 2 teams.
...if we can.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

MacSR wrote:
MacSR wrote:We're sending 2 teams.
...if we can.
Ok sounds good.
bsmith wrote:Barring any last-minute drops, Ottawa will have 9 people. We will be flexible (even up to game morning) on whether you want us to be 2 or 3 teams, because I know game-morning attendance/schedule antics are bound to come up...
Thanks. we will let you know this for sure, but if the current field size holds we could always use the rotating moderator so 2 teams might be preferable (we might increase the moderator discount).
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Out of curiosity, will there be any discount for solo teams?
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

We may have less teams than the original 3-4 that we expected; it appears that we've come down with a bit of a swine flu problem. We only have one in isolation now, but another was hospitalized and other two are exhibiting symptoms. I should be able to give you a more concrete number of teams tomorrow.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

Camelopardalis wrote:We may have less teams than the original 3-4 that we expected; it appears that we've come down with a bit of a swine flu problem. We only have one in isolation now, but another was hospitalized and other two are exhibiting symptoms. I should be able to give you a more concrete number of teams tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that - hope they get better soon.
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Camelopardalis wrote:We may have less teams than the original 3-4 that we expected; it appears that we've come down with a bit of a swine flu problem. We only have one in isolation now, but another was hospitalized and other two are exhibiting symptoms. I should be able to give you a more concrete number of teams tomorrow.
We have two more exhibiting symptoms, and today's practice was quite small what with people staying at home trying not to die, but we will still have three teams for sure. I'll let you know if we have a fourth.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

The field has been updated and parking information added to the initial post. Please let us know if there are any changes or if you are likely to be delayed on Saturday. Registration starts at 9 am.

See you then!
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

All 9 Ottawa players are in the GTA. The rainstorm was a pain in the butt to drive through.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

bsmith wrote:All 9 Ottawa players are in the GTA. The rainstorm was a pain in the butt to drive through.
Tell me about it. RIT is finally in Mississauga.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

We have returned to Rochester now and I just wanted to say that we were incredibly pleased with how the tournament was run.

We would especially like to thank the more veteran teams for welcoming us to our first mACF tournament.

Due to the fact that there are many subject areas that we are below average in knowledge, we did not rank highly, but we had fun.

There was one question that I have a major problem with, but I will refrain from discussing any specifics until we get a clearance to do so.

Thank you for such a great time.

EDIT: So that people know, Toronto A won the tournament with Michigan A finishing 2nd. I don't know exact finals results.
Nathaniel Kane
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

It was a long but fun day.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Even though we didn't quite make top bracket, I had a great time at this tournament. I thought everything was run pretty smoothly, and on behalf of the Guelph team, I'd like to thank the Toronto team for hosting this and the Brown team for writing a good question set. I learned some stuff, I met some people, and I answered some questions. It was fun.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

I'd also like to thank Toronto for hosting. It was nice to see a lot of new faces, and we will certainly go to more tournaments in Canada in the future. It was really nice that you were willing to play the final even after the cleaning people took over the game rooms. We all really like having the opportunity to play good teams, so additional games are a lot of fun.

As a side note, I was impressed with the amount of US history that some of the Canadian teams there knew. We don't learn nearly enough Canadian history in school, especially since the Michigan and Canada are rather close to each other.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
maxis7
Lulu

Post by maxis7 »

Stats for the preliminary rounds can be found here:

http://www.uotrivia.ca/stats/eft09/eft0 ... dings.html

and those for the playoffs here:

http://www.uotrivia.ca/stats/eft09/eft0 ... dings.html

Thanks to Ben Smith and Ottawa for both hosting the stats and for being very accommodating regarding team structure - their decision to split 9 players into 3 teams helped us balance the field at 18. We played 3 initial brackets followed by re-bracketing into 3 playoff groups. We managed to get in 10 games before being evicted by University cleaning services. A one game final was later played between Toronto A (10 - 0) and Michigan A (9 - 1) which was won by Toronto A.

Will Nediger won the individual scoring award for his brave solo effort while Toronto B was the best rookie team, consisting solely of players in their first collegiate tournament. The rounds were played in order of packets with the exception of round 10 - this was packet 11. Packet 10 was not played.

We enjoyed hosting the tournament and thank all the teams who turned up, especially the three American teams who added welcome variety to the field. Thanks also to Brown for producing a great set of questions.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

MacSR wrote:It was a long but fun day.
There is no reason why "long day" and "10 rounds" should be descriptors of the same tournament (this is not directed at you, Sameer, you just made the statement). We finished round 5 at 3 PM- which, even excusing a late start (we and possibly others got delayed by an 8 AM subway suicide) and a lunch break, is 50 minute rounds. If a host can only call up enough staff to force new students to read alone, they shouldn't be fielding teams that contain experienced moderators. If host members really wanted to play, there should have been a compromise of a big house team with staff subbing in and out, like 8-person Waterloo at the SCT or 10-person Ottawa at our OHT last year. Having experienced readers on hand to enforce time on answering, resolve tossup slip-ups quickly, and offer "prompt" fairly would have helped greatly for cutting down the game time.

Sorry to rain on the parade. I think the questions suited the field well, and I'll congratulate Michigan for getting all three of their teams in the top tier. I was particularly pleased to finally be on the receiving end of chemical engineering bonuses, rather than listening/reading/missing them.

Finally, despite me going to the lengths of wearing a Sens jersey in enemy territory, it wasn't enough for them and they lost their season opener to the Rangers. Nevertheless, I expect the Leafs to continue their losing ways tomorrow...
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

The rounds did seem to be a little on the slow side, but I think it was more due to A) long question lengths B) inexperienced teams that got most tossups near the end and C) talking by players (and sometimes mods) in between questions, as opposed to poor moderating. Despite not being the best moderators I've seen by far, I didn't have a huge problem with most of the moderators we saw. Yeah, there were some that allowed talking in between questions (which is probably the biggest complaint I have about the moderators) and others that were probably a little slow enforcing time, but it didn't seem to me that the moderating was a huge issue. I suppose you're right, however, in saying that Toronto could have (and probably should have) saved their more experienced players for moderating duties.

I was more irked by the fact that we didn't get started until damn near 10am. I was kind of suprised to see that registration actually started at 9am, which is usually when most people aim to start tournaments by. I hope next time the directors are more vocal about starting times (when registration starts and ends, and when the tournament will start by) because I wasn't too happy about waiting around for nearly an hour for a bunch of other teams to show up before starting play. Besides these small issues, though, I still had a great time and want to thank the Toronto people for doing a fairly good job of running the tournament. My first Canadian tournament was a fun one and I look forward to heading back up to Guelph for TIT in November.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer