ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic at VCU (Richmond) - October 31, 2009

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic at VCU (Richmond) - October 31, 2009

Post by Matt Weiner »

nobthehobbit wrote:Out of curiosity, on which packet was the final played?
"RPI/MSU A"
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

For those who like big combined files of all the stats, here is the one for this tournament: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

Very enjoyable tournament, and, except for a few delays, ran fairly briskly. Thanks to the VCU staff for hosting a great tournament.

Just echoing everyone else's thoughts, MW and SC are legit...

Oh, sorry about not bringing the buzzers and bringing one team instead of two...again, thanks for the VCU staff for accommodating the unexpected change.
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I hope everyone enjoyed the event, especially the brand-new teams from NC Wesleyan. Some bizarre occurrences, including a moderator wandering off before a game leaving a round unstarted when all other rooms were nearly done, led to this taking longer than it could have, but hopefully 14 rounds by 8 PM was still something everyone liked.
Matt Weiner
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

It was very fun, first to time for me going to a college tournament (and playing with the A-Team), but congrats to State College and thanks to VCU.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

RyuAqua wrote:Congrats to State College, who obviously still have mad skills at the whole quizbowl thing.

I'm actually kind of shocked that Maggie Walker and State College High School have now played each other twice, in two finals - of college tournaments, defeating veteran college teams on their way there. What, if anything, can the rest of us mere high-schoolers do to avoid getting crushed? Cower in fear? Study even harder?
I mean, if these high schools are so good, I feel that it means that they as a team really want to achieve the goal of doing well at QB Tournaments. Also, I really want to see how these teams do in tournaments not college. I understand that if you do well in College Tournaments, you will do well in High School, but I would like to see how much these two teams have improved from last year on high school questions.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

master15625 wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:Congrats to State College, who obviously still have mad skills at the whole quizbowl thing.

I'm actually kind of shocked that Maggie Walker and State College High School have now played each other twice, in two finals - of college tournaments, defeating veteran college teams on their way there. What, if anything, can the rest of us mere high-schoolers do to avoid getting crushed? Cower in fear? Study even harder?
I mean, if these high schools are so good, I feel that it means that they as a team really want to achieve the goal of doing well at QB Tournaments. Also, I really want to see how these teams do in tournaments not college. I understand that if you do well in College Tournaments, you will do well in High School, but I would like to see how much these two teams have improved from last year on high school questions.
Gov went to TJIAT and posted 23.49 PPB, compared with 22.60 at EFT and 24.82 at ACF Fall. So they are definitely highly skilled at both collegiate and high school quizbowl, but it's interesting to note that their performances on both levels are approximately the same. I don't know if SC has been to a high school tournament yet this year, but I'm sure they will put up an impressive performance.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Well, I may have annoyed just about everyone here, but I had a fun time. State College proved they definitely have more than a shot at a national title, and Gov showed that they are just as good. Even though some unfortunate prelim bracketing resulted in UVA not making the playoffs, Chuhern definitely showed his stuff today, as well.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Yeah, I just wanted to thank Matt and all the staff for a very well organized tournament, and all the writers and editors for some excellent questions. Aside from screwy bracketing, this was one of the best tournaments SC has attended
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

DIE GRAHAM MOYER DIE.

It was an excellent experience, and I'm happy with Penn State's performance, considering that I was the only player who'd actually been to more than five tournaments, and one of two who had been to any. We only lost four games by a giant margin, so I'd say that's far from disappointing.

<3 Graham.
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

master15625 wrote:

Neil, you should look into playing ACF Winter, as it is in Ann Arbor.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)