ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at South Carolina (Sat,October 3rd)

Old college threads.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at South Carolina (Sat,October 3rd)

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The Academic Team at the University of South Carolina is pleased to announce that it will host a mirror of the Early Fall Tournament 4, which will take place on Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 in Columbia. It will be a standard mACF academic tournament, and its difficulty will be around ACF Fall level. The goal is to attract newer players to quiz bowl by holding an early non-packet submission tournament, and it will be primarily written by Dennis Jang, Eric Mukherjee, Aaron Rosenberg, Jerry Vinokurov, Guy Tabachnik, Ian Eppler, and Daniel Klein.

FEES:

$90 base fee per team
-$10 per working buzzer system [no limit to minimum]
-$20 per full-time, competent moderator/scorekeeper [no limit to minimum]
-$10 multiple teams from same school
-$10 per 200 miles traveled [no limit to minimum]
-$10 high school discount
-$10 new program discount

Minimum fee per team: $60

The new program discount is for college teams who did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2008, and have no one on the team claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

To get a discount, buzzers must actually work for the purpose of a normal quizbowl game; that is, they must have eight working activators, a working control box, and either a working power cord or a fresh battery, as applicable.

Please pay your applicable fees, and please, pay no more.

ELIGIBILITY: The USC EFT mirror is open to any college or high school quizbowl teams, and more experienced players are encouraged moderate. For now, open and mixed affiliation teams are not eligible to play.

REGISTRATION: To register or if you have any questions, please contact me, Eric Douglass, at ericd25 at hotmail dot com. Please let me know the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you plan on bringing.

LOCATION/DIRECTIONS/PARKING: The tournament will take place in the Close/Hipp building (the Moore School of Business). The Cocky mascot can be seen pointing to it on this map.

The address is 1705 College Street, Columbia, SC 29208.

Driving directions are located here: http://mooreschool.sc.edu/visit/directions.aspx

There is plenty of parallel parking near the building on Barnwell and Pendleton streets, as well as some lots nearby as well. The meter spaces are free on Saturdays.

TIMES: We will begin registration at 8:00 A.M. and begin play promptly at 9:00. Please be on time. Meet in Room 005 (Belk Auditorium) of the Close-Hipp BA Building.

FORMAT: Format will be determined by number of teams present. Right now, our team has the capability to host 20 teams, but we hope to be able to host up to 30 teams assuming some teams bring experienced moderators and that our team can develop some more quality home-grown moderators by then.

FREELANCE STAFFERS: Be a quizbowl hero! Contact me if you want to staff the tournament.

PAYMENT: We will accept cash or check payments on site on the morning of the tournament. Please make checks payable to The Academic Team at USC.

PRIZES: We will have trophies for the first place overall team and the first place D-II team (which includes high schools). Book prizes will be awarded to the winning schools, and we will also have used books for the top 10 scorers.

FOOD: Breakfast and lunch will not be provided. There are a bunch of affordable eateries on and around campus, and we will provide a list of nearby restaurants that morning.

We hope to see a plethora of teams in Columbia for what is sure to be a fun event.

Eric Douglass
TD, USC EFT 4 mirror

Registered Teams:

Georgia Tech (2 teams)
The College of Charleston
Chipola (2 teams)
Clemson
Southside High School (2 teams)
UGA
North Florida Community College (2 teams)
Wofford

Expressed Interest:

FSU
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:29 am, edited 17 times in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
KoH
Lulu

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at South Carolina (Sat,October 3rd)

Post by KoH »

Southside will be bringing one or two teams.
Ming Lin
Southside High School 2010
Auron

KoH wrote:Southside will be bringing one or two teams.
That's cool!
Eric D.
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Clemson will be there with one team.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Auron

Excellent...
Eric D.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Eric, I will volunteer to read during my bye round, if needed.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Auron

Thanks.
Eric D.
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

Will USC have a house team?
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
Auron

Dark Ages: Fae wrote:Will USC have a house team?
We would prefer to have so many teams in attendance that our members would be required to read instead of play. However, if the field is sufficiently small, there's a chance of USC fielding a house team.
Eric D.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Furman will be sending one team. (Edit: forgot to mention that we're capable of bringing a buzzer.)
Last edited by Mettius Fufetius on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Auron

We have still not heard from the reservation office regarding the building for this tournament. I hate that they're cutting this so close, but I have assurances that we'll have rooms soon. I'll post a final update next week and e-mail everyone said announcement as well.

Here's the field update:

The College of Charleston
Chipola (2 teams)
Clemson
Southside High School (2 teams)
UGA
North Florida Community College (2 teams)
Wofford
Georgia Tech (2 teams)
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eric D.
Auron

This tournament will take place in the Hipp/Close building (the Moore School of Business), and registration will occur from 8:00-9:00 in room 005 (Belk Auditorium). The Cocky mascot is pointing to the building on this map: http://www.sc.edu/cgi-bin/uscmap/uscmap ... er&data=36

The address for the building is 1705 College Street, Columbia, SC 29208. There is plenty of parallel parking on Barnwell and Pendleton Streets next to the building as well as a few parking lots next to it. Metered spaces are free on Saturdays.

I will be sending an e-mail to all contacts in the next day or two with all information for this tournament. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
Eric D.
Auron

It looks like we'll have a field of 13 teams. The format will likely be a round robin with advantaged finals if necessary. Of course, I'm not a scheduling guru, so if there is some other plan out there that might work better, I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT: It looks like we're down to 12 teams. So we'll do a round robin with possible advantaged finals.
Eric D.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

As I've already told Eric, Furman is almost certainly not coming due to my teammate's car breaking down. I've e-mailed a couple of likely teams about this, but if anyone charitable is able to give us a ride early Saturday morning, please e-mail me by Friday afternoon and let us know. Otherwise, we're stuck here.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Auron

Marchbanks wrote:As I've already told Eric, Furman is almost certainly not coming due to my teammate's car breaking down. I've e-mailed a couple of likely teams about this, but if anyone charitable is able to give us a ride early Saturday morning, please e-mail me by Friday afternoon and let us know. Otherwise, we're stuck here.
If any team(s) help the Furman team get to the tournament, you can play for the minimum fee.
Eric D.
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

I have volunteered to drive Furman's team Saturday, assuming there's no monkey business with my car, which has suffered from two flat tires this week...
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Auron

Ben Cole wrote:I have volunteered to drive Furman's team Saturday, assuming there's no monkey business with my car, which has suffered from two flat tires this week...
That would rule. Here's hoping for no monkey biz. Thanks for being a quizbowl hero!
Eric D.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Superfast results: Clemson defeated Southside A in a final, 275-270?, to win the tournament. I don't know what the other places were since (I believe) it wasn't announced. I was leading scorer, and Furman went something like 6-6. Ming Lin of Southside A won the neg prize, which was, awesomely, "The Culture of Narcissism" by Christopher Lasch.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Unless they had random additional losses I wasn't aware of, UGA went 10-2 for 3rd and GT A was 9-3 for 4th. Southside was really impressive, including their B team putting up good performances against some pretty good teams from what I heard/saw.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Auron

Congratulations to Clemson for winning the EFT IV Mirror at the University of South Carolina.

13 teams competed in a 13 round robin. After 13 rounds, Clemson and Southside High School A both had a 11-1 record. With one packet remaining, we held a championship match, which Clemson won 275-270. Clemson also took home the D-II award. Georgia finished in 3rd with a 10-2 record, and Georgia Tech finished 4th with a 9-3 record. Nathan James of Furman was the leading scorer. Stats.

Thanks to all teams for showing up to the tournament, especially to Chipola and NFCC for making the long trips and to the College of Charleston, who attended their first ever tournament. Also, thanks to Ben from Southside for driving the Furman folks to the event. This was the first full scale college tournament we've hosted in some time at Carolina, and we hope you all enjoyed yourselves despite the occasional this or that. Anyway, after reading a few matches yesterday and looking at the stats, it is clear that, assuming the teams that showed up yesterday continue to regularly attend tournaments, the Southeast is going to be extremely competitive this year, and the best teams in the region will be composed mostly of freshmen and sophomores. Clemson is indeed very, very good. If that same team is still together by the Spring, there might be a new power to worry about on the national scene. Georgia and Georgia Tech definitely showed they are regional powers as well, with newcomers like Wes at UGA and Gazi at Ga Tech complementing already decent programs. The Chipola teams impressed, with Chipola A beating Georgia and thus preventing a 3 way tie for first. And it's nice to see Wofford and Furman back on the circuit. And of course, what more can you say about Southside? Along with the other excellent high school teams competing in EFT yesterday, Southside is certainly going to be a factor at NSC and NCT this year. Again, thanks everyone for coming to the EFT.
Eric D.
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

Duke The Dumpster Droese wrote:Anyway, after reading a few matches yesterday and looking at the stats, it is clear that, assuming the teams that showed up yesterday continue to regularly attend tournaments, the Southeast is going to be extremely competitive this year, and the best teams in the region will be composed mostly of freshmen and sophomores. Clemson is indeed very, very good. If that same team is still together by the Spring, there might be a new power to worry about on the national scene. Georgia and Georgia Tech definitely showed they are regional powers as well, with newcomers like Wes at UGA and Gazi at Ga Tech complementing already decent programs. The Chipola teams impressed, with Chipola A beating Georgia and thus preventing a 3 way tie for first. And it's nice to see Wofford and Furman back on the circuit. And of course, what more can you say about Southside? Along with the other excellent high school teams competing in EFT yesterday, Southside is certainly going to be a factor at NSC and NCT this year. Again, thanks everyone for coming to the EFT.
I think Eric's analysis of the tournament is really accurate. I was particularly impressed at the performance of Southside's B team, who put up solid numbers to finish in 5th. Southside will likely be a powerful presence in the Southeast even after their current A team of seniors graduates. Also, Clemson was amazing and very well balanced, though I think they could've been even better if they weren't a little rusty. Their bonus conversion was notably quite high. So far as other college teams go, it was interesting to see tech's b team, who showed that tech has at least 6 or so competent players that could contribute against good teams. I could easily see a lot of improvement for them in the near future.

Lastly, thanks to USC for hosting this. As has been the case in past tournaments of theirs that I've attended, they did an excellent job getting through all 12 rounds quickly and finishing reasonably early, despite us showing up a good 45 minutes late (sorry bout that). Additionally, it was nice to see some solid moderators in nearly every game I played. Great hosting guys.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

I would also like to say this tournament was ran very well and on a wider note I personally really liked the questions. A couple of moderators left a bit to be desired, but none of them affected the outcome of a match and the "bad" ones really weren't even that bad, just not as good as the other ones. Thanks again for running that and everyone from Chipola had a very good time.

Note: To anyone planning a trip to Columbia for a tournament or college visit, try to avoid the Master's Inn.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Crimson Rosella
Wakka

Post by Crimson Rosella »

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:
Note: To anyone planning a trip to anywhere ever, try to avoid the Master's Inn.
Seriously.
Joey Montoya
University of South Carolina 2005-2010
Stanford University 2010-
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

I calculated the PATH for this tournament, which can be found here. Let me know in the likely event that I made mistakes. My handling of players who didn't play in all 12 of their team's matches may have been nonstandard -- I divided their total points by 12 and let that be their PPG, so that the total team PPG would be right. Of course, that undervalues players who played in fewer games (most notably Manan from Wofford), but I wasn't sure what the proper procedure was. Fortunately that doesn't affect anyone who would be in the top 15.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
KevinL
Lulu

Post by KevinL »

Can you explain what this means? I'm not too familiar with PATH and other non-standard (by standard I mean what's on SQBS) quizbowl stats.
Kevin Lybrand
Retired from playing*
Clemson, 09-10
Dorman A, 08-09
Dorman B, 06-08

*most likely
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

http://www.doc-ent.com/qbwiki/index.php?title=PATH covers it about as well as it's ever going to be covered. In case that article doesn't make it clear, PATH way underestimates "actual PPG" for teams of generalists and far overestimates it for teams of specialists. But it's about the best we can do until a way of keeping score that marks when people buzzed is developed.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Marchbanks wrote:I calculated the PATH for this tournament, which can be found here. Let me know in the likely event that I made mistakes. My handling of players who didn't play in all 12 of their team's matches may have been nonstandard -- I divided their total points by 12 and let that be their PPG, so that the total team PPG would be right. Of course, that undervalues players who played in fewer games (most notably Manan from Wofford), but I wasn't sure what the proper procedure was. Fortunately that doesn't affect anyone who would be in the top 15.
May I ask what the asterisks were for?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

TheLessFamousEthan wrote:
Marchbanks wrote:I calculated the PATH for this tournament, which can be found here. Let me know in the likely event that I made mistakes. My handling of players who didn't play in all 12 of their team's matches may have been nonstandard -- I divided their total points by 12 and let that be their PPG, so that the total team PPG would be right. Of course, that undervalues players who played in fewer games (most notably Manan from Wofford), but I wasn't sure what the proper procedure was. Fortunately that doesn't affect anyone who would be in the top 15.
May I ask what the asterisks were for?
The asterisks are just for dudes/dudeens who didn't have 12 gp, and for whom I did the adjustment mentioned above. The double asterisks on NFCCB are because I did the same thing but for a different reason -- they scored 0 points in the first game, but their (zeroed) individual stats weren't recorded, so they incorrectly showed up as having 11 gp.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

EDIT: No more viral messages.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne