CaTO/TaCO Discussion

Old college threads.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: CaTO/TaCO Discussion

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:
Journey to the Planets wrote:Will the set/stats be posted soon?
It's been two weeks boys. There were only 8-9 rounds played. This could have helped the image of the tournament a little better, getting these stats up quickly... or the actual set.

Is either one going to happen?
Three weeks.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

It's been two weeks boys. There were only 8-9 rounds played. This could have helped the image of the tournament a little better, getting these stats up quickly... or the actual set.

Three weeks.

Im pretty sure there are multiple games where stats don't exist for this tournament, so i would place an ETA of never on that
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

PN News wrote:

Three weeks.

Im pretty sure there are multiple games where stats don't exist for this tournament, so i would place an ETA of never on that
I would hope that the packets still exist, though.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

I hear Fred Morlan has a copy of it unless he deleted it and/or it got destroyed in the hard drive fuckup of 2009
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Auron

Yeah, i'm mainly being a pain in the ass about it, but honestly i care about 50 times more about seeing the questions/packets than the scoresheets/stats.

I can see little reason why the packets were never put online.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

PN News wrote:I hear Fred Morlan has a copy of it unless he deleted it and/or it got destroyed in the hard drive fuckup of 2009
It'd be more accurate to say it didn't get transferred from my hard drive in my data grabs post-hard drive crash.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Three weeks.
Five weeks
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

So I probably can conclude this set will not be posted?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

PN News wrote:Five weeks
There's nothing more charming than trying to charge people ludicrous amounts of money to play a few packets and then not posting those packets to the archives afterwards.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:
PN News wrote:Five weeks
There's nothing more charming than trying to charge people ludicrous amounts of money to play a few packets and then not posting those packets to the archives afterwards.
You forgot to add "and also ignoring the 'discussion thread' following a two day period after the tournament's completion." This was very helpful.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Does anyone who participated in the West Coast "mirror" have the set?
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The West Coast mirror had one or two full packets and then three tossups from a third, so I don't think the full set is with Stephen.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Posting on behalf of some other people, ie the directors of this tournament:

All the stats that anyone is sure exist for this tournament (the prelims, minus one game) have been posted to http://www.hsquizbowl.org/ct/ctpartials ... dings.html.

They're working on getting the packets up.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, so what's the problem here? All that has to happen is for someone to email one file to one person. You don't need to make a bunch of after the fact corrections or anything, nobody cares if the posted version has spelling errors. I understand that people are busy and have lives, but this kind of thing doesn't take months to do. As far as I know neither Tommy's lit tournament nor this event are up anywhere, and I think that's pretty poor form.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

DumbJaques wrote:
Hey, so what's the problem here? All that has to happen is for someone to email one file to one person. You don't need to make a bunch of after the fact corrections or anything, nobody cares if the posted version has spelling errors. I understand that people are busy and have lives, but this kind of thing doesn't take months to do. As far as I know neither Tommy's lit tournament nor this event are up anywhere, and I think that's pretty poor form.
Man, the two month anniversary! I hadn't realized. Obviously further payment is necessary before the packets go up.
Andrew Watkins
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

was the Slothrop tournament ever posted? That one's even older!
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The Slothrop tournament has been circulated by email, so hopefully someone can post it.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Glacier wrote:The Slothrop tournament has been circulated by email, so hopefully someone can post it.
Send this to me, and it will be
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

DumbJaques wrote:Hey, so what's the problem here? All that has to happen is for someone to email one file to one person. You don't need to make a bunch of after the fact corrections or anything, nobody cares if the posted version has spelling errors. I understand that people are busy and have lives, but this kind of thing doesn't take months to do. As far as I know neither Tommy's lit tournament nor this event are up anywhere, and I think that's pretty poor form.
So I looked into this, the editors of the event were contacted, and they seem to be certain that no one actually has the packets that were read at this tournament; they were compiled and read exclusively on computers that have since had hard drive failures. I am told that files of gross questions may exist, and may be posted if people actually have interest/use for such things.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Matt Weiner wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:Hey, so what's the problem here? All that has to happen is for someone to email one file to one person. You don't need to make a bunch of after the fact corrections or anything, nobody cares if the posted version has spelling errors. I understand that people are busy and have lives, but this kind of thing doesn't take months to do. As far as I know neither Tommy's lit tournament nor this event are up anywhere, and I think that's pretty poor form.
So I looked into this, the editors of the event were contacted, and they seem to be certain that no one actually has the packets that were read at this tournament; they were compiled and read exclusively on computers that have since had hard drive failures. I am told that files of gross questions may exist, and may be posted if people actually have interest/use for such things.
That'd still be appreciated.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:I am told that files of gross questions may exist, and may be posted if people actually have interest/use for such things.
That'd still be appreciated.
Here's the history I wrote for this event.
Attachments
JTH for catotaco.doc
(47.5 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Were the questions not e-mailed to any other mods at the site?
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Matt Weiner wrote:
That would have to be the most improbable thing ever to happen in quizbowl, that Tommy, Cameron, and all their readers all had hard drive failures! It's even less probable that they wouldn't have figured it out until now or chosen to mention it themselves before we became so discontent (or at all). Or that none of the email addresses to which the packets were sent were gmail accounts where the files will still be on the gmail servers, which is exactly how I'm able to provide the science file that Tommy sent me and could have uploaded himself months ago.

That said, the paucity of evidence for something isn't evidence for its negation, so i'll just go ahead and believe you.

Here's all the science Tommy wrote.
Attachments
Science.doc
(44 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Andrew Watkins
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Matt Weiner wrote:So I looked into this, the editors of the event were contacted, and they seem to be certain that no one actually has the packets that were read at this tournament; they were compiled and read exclusively on computers that have since had hard drive failures. I am told that files of gross questions may exist, and may be posted if people actually have interest/use for such things.
I'm calling bullshit on this, given that actual packets were actually read at actual instances of this tournament. I will upload the packet that Auroni and I wrote after I find it.
Jerry Vinokurov
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

grapesmoker wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:So I looked into this, the editors of the event were contacted, and they seem to be certain that no one actually has the packets that were read at this tournament; they were compiled and read exclusively on computers that have since had hard drive failures. I am told that files of gross questions may exist, and may be posted if people actually have interest/use for such things.
I'm calling bullshit on this, given that actual packets were actually read at actual instances of this tournament. I will upload the packet that Auroni and I wrote after I find it.
Shouldn't that packet be bundled together with the VCU Open set? It wasn't explicitly written for CaTO/TaCO
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

jpn wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
Shouldn't that packet be bundled together with the VCU Open set? It wasn't explicitly written for CaTO/TaCO
Who knows? Given that credit was given to CaTO/TaCO for the science questions in your packet (back when Jonathan was saying that there was plenty of science in the tournament, by some metric that requires only 65% of it to exist and less to be playable, he sure counted the first round), I don't know anymore.
Andrew Watkins
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

jpn wrote:Shouldn't that packet be bundled together with the VCU Open set? It wasn't explicitly written for CaTO/TaCO
Who cares at this point? People who played at the main site played that packet.
Jerry Vinokurov
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
jpn wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
Who knows? Given that credit was given to CaTO/TaCO for the science questions in your packet (back when Jonathan was saying that there was plenty of science in the tournament, by some metric that requires only 65% of it to exist and less to be playable, he sure counted the first round), I don't know anymore.
I never said that there was plenty of science, but that the actual lack of science at the tournament didn't seem to line up with your criticism. CaTo/TaCo was harder than advertised, did not conform to its announced distribution, and didn't have enough completed rounds; those are large problems. However, I was irritated that you exaggerated the actual problems with the tournament to make your point, especially since I liked many of CaTo/TaCo's humanities questions and wanted to encourage people writing their first collegiate tournament to continue writing. I certainly apologize if it seemed I was defending the clearly problematic parts of the tournament, instead of defending the tournament from over the top or exaggerated criticism.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

magin wrote:I never said that there was plenty of science, but that the actual lack of science at the tournament didn't seem to line up with your criticism. CaTo/TaCo was harder than advertised, did not conform to its announced distribution, and didn't have enough completed rounds; those are large problems. However, I was irritated that you exaggerated the actual problems with the tournament to make your point, especially since I liked many of CaTo/TaCo's humanities questions and wanted to encourage people writing their first collegiate tournament to continue writing. I certainly apologize if it seemed I was defending the clearly problematic parts of the tournament, instead of defending the tournament from over the top or exaggerated criticism.
Your count was nineteen science tossups in seven rounds; I dimly recall reconciling that with my notes and finding that it counted the first round, which was not really part of the set. Fourteen questions in six rounds is pretty much three-and-a-half rounds of science, and I believe I said three-and-a-half rounds worth in my original post.

I am glad that you enjoyed much of CaTO/TaCO's humanities; I certainly enjoyed some of it. And doubtless I want to encourage them to continue writing; Tommy was gracious to send me his science for critique months ago and seemed to appreciate the several pages of commentary I provided. Most importantly, I'm glad that you don't defend the problematic aspects of this tournament: I read your previous posts as marginalizing those problems. (Particularly when you say "is nine missing tossups so bad?" when--even if it were nine tossups over seven rounds missing, instead of ten in six--that's a little over two rounds of science gone, which is, in fact, a big deal (since it distorts game outcomes for both me and the team on which I play). Thanks, though, for clarifying your position.
Andrew Watkins
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Here are the questions I wrote for CATO/TACO. I didn't really have time to finish a few of the tossups, which is why those are shorter.

Some lesser-known works written by this man include Language and Power, In the Mirror, and Under Three Flags. His brother Parry is a historian. His most famous work talks about “print-capitalism,” and that work is subtitled, “Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism.” This man was born in China, and lived in Thailand for a few years, although he is more closely associated with a different Asian country. This professor emeritus at Cornell University was in charge of its Indonesia program, which ironically, was a country that he was banned from in large part due to the fallout and reaction to his most famous work. For 10 points, name this historian, political scientist, and scholar, who is best known for a 1983 work about the titular entities, Imagined Communities.
ANSWER: Benedict Richard O’Gorman Anderson

This event occurred because of the Pass Laws, and the Prime Minister of the country at the time this event happened was Henrik Verwoerd. A group called The Spear of the Nation was created in large part due to the actions of this event. It occurred on March 21, 1960, and saw the death of 69 people. FTP, name this event that occurred 16 years before the Soweto Riots, a massacre in South Africa that occurred in large part due to Apartheid.
ANSWER: Sharpeville Massacre/etc.

He was part of a group with Camille Chautemps that pushed for a 40-hour work week, the Popular Front. This man succeeded Albert Saurrat in one position, and was later succeeded by another member of the Popular Front, Edouard Deladier. For 10 points, name this Socialist man and served as Prime Minister of France from 1936-1937, and again briefly in 1938, a man possibly best known for being Jewish.
ANSWER: Leon Blum

One of the leaders of this battle would later be followed by people such as Tahmasp, and Abbas I, while another person at this battle would be succeeded by his son Suleman I. Name this 1514 battle in Iran between the founder of the Safavid Dynasty Ismail I, and the leader of the Ottomon Empire Selim 1.
ANSWER: Battle of Chaldiran

Frank Clement and Buford Ellington served non-consecutive terms as governor of this state. The most recent Republican to hold the governorship of this state was Donald Sundquist, who had succeeded Ned McWhirter. One member of this state’s congressional delegation was struck down in his attempts to join the Congressional Black Caucus was shut down because he was white. One man from this state served as Martin Van Buren’s Attorney General, while another served as FDR’s Secretary of State. Those three men are Steve Cohen, Felix Grundy, and Cordell Hull. The current governor of this state is Phil Bredesen, and its current senators are Bob Corker, and Lamar Alexander. For 10 points, name this southern state, which was the location of death for Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson, and James Polk, a state whose former senators include Bill Frist, and two people named Al Gore.
ANSWER: Tennessee

This man served as Prime Minister of Canada from 1984-1993, and was succeeded by Kim Campbell. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this man, a member of the Progressive Conservative party.
ANSWER: Martin Brian Mulroney
[10] During Mulroney’s tenure as Prime Minister, he signed the Meech Lake Accords with this man, the Premier of Quebec.
ANSWER: Robert Bourassa
[10] Mulroney defeated this member of the Liberal Party in a 1984 election, in part because this man fumbled a question about patronage. This man was briefly Prime Minister in 1984.
ANSWER: John Napie Wyndham Turner

This event occurred at the same time as the Matewan Massacre. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this hilariously named conflict of 1920 that took place in Kentucky and West Virginia. It is apparently the only incidence that American government airplanes purposely dropped bombs on its own citizens.
ANSWER: Redneck County War
[10] This organization played a major role in the Redneck War. It was founded by John Rae, and it has featured other leaders such as the man who succeeded John Rae, John McBride, and the current leader Cecil Roberts.
ANSWER: UMW or United Mine Workers
[10] This man was a noted president of the UMW. He served in that position from 1920-1960, and also served as the President of the CIO from 1936-1940.
ANSWER: John Llewellyn Lewis

This man wrote The Age of Constantine the Great, The Greeks and Greek Civilization, and Judgments on History. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this Swiss historian.
ANSWER: Carl Jacob Christoph Burckhardt
[10] This influential work is Burckhardt’s best-known work. It talks about, “The State as a Work of Art,” and “The Revival of Antiquity.”
ANSWER: The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy
[10] This historian wrote The History of the Reign of Ferdinand and Isabella the Catholic, and wrote about Tenochtitlan and the Aztecs in The Conquest of Mexico. An anecdote about this man is that he was seriously injured in one eye during a food fight at Harvard.
ANSWER: William Hickling Prescott

He was sent to Canada, in part due to the actions of Leo Tolstoy. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this man who died in 1924, a noted leader of the Doukhobours.
ANSWER: Peter Vasilyevich Veregin
[10] Like Nikon, this man led the Old Believers against. This man was once imprisoned in Pustozersk
ANSWER: Avvakum
[10] This man notably won the 1242 Battle of the Ice on Lake Peipus. A film named for this man was directed by Sergei Eisenstein.
ANSWER: Alexander Nevsky

Answer some question about a group of related linguists. For 10 points each:
[10] This man of Czech descent wrote The Theory of Literature, and he taught at both the University of Iowa and Yale University.
ANSWER: Rene Wellek
[10] Wellek belong to this group of linguists named for a European city. Other members of this school included Nicholas Trubetzkoy, and Roman Jakobson,
ANSWER: Prague School
[10] This man was another one of the influential Prague School members. He wrote The History of English Literature.
ANSWER: Vilem Mathesisus
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

I have the packets, as Cameron read using my thankfully still alive laptop, and sent them to Chris Carter months ago. He was waiting on permission from the editors to post them. Is George now the appropriate person to send them to?
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

MLWGS-Gir wrote:I have the packets, as Cameron read using my thankfully still alive laptop, and sent them to Chris Carter months ago. He was waiting on permission from the editors to post them. Is George now the appropriate person to send them to?
yes

EDIT: http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/archive/taco.zip
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:I have the packets, as Cameron read using my thankfully still alive laptop, and sent them to Chris Carter months ago. He was waiting on permission from the editors to post them.
Is there a reason they were waiting to give said permission?
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:I have the packets, as Cameron read using my thankfully still alive laptop, and sent them to Chris Carter months ago. He was waiting on permission from the editors to post them.
Is there a reason they were waiting to give said permission?
The editors, you mean? Um.
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Literature or literary criticism tossups, packet-by-packet
Packet 1 (taken from VCUO): 4 (4 lit)
Packet 2: 7 (6 lit, 1 LC)
Packet 3: 8 (7 lit, 1 LC)
Packet 4: 9 (8 lit, 1 whack-ass tossup on bestiaries)
Packet 5: 4 (4 lit, my goodness!)
Packet 6: 6.5 (6 lit, half a tossup on Homi Bhabha the postmodern critic)
Packet 7: 8 (7 lit, 1 LC)
Packet 8: 6 (6 lit)
Average lit/LC tossups per packet: 6.5625
Minimum: 4
Maximum: 9
Average sans VCUO packet: 6.93
Minimum: 4
Maximum: 9

Literature or literary criticism bonuses, packet-by-packet
Packet 1 (taken from VCUO): 5
Packet 2: 4.33333... (thank god you got P.A. Toer in there again!)
Packet 3: 5 (Senegaaaaaaaaaaal)
Packet 4: 5
Packet 5: 7 (1 repeat)
Packet 6: 5 (only 19 bonuses)
Packet 7: 6 (only 19 bonuses)
Packet 8: 4.33333... (only 19 bonuses; Persian Letters)
Average lit/LC bonuses per packet: 5.21
Minimum: 4.33333...
Maximum: 7
Average sans VCUO packet: 5.24
Minimum: 4.33333...
Maximum: 7

Fine Arts tossups, packet-by-packet
Packet 1 (taken from VCUO): 2
Packet 2: 3
Packet 3: 3
Packet 4: 3
Packet 5: 4
Packet 6: 4
Packet 7: 3
Packet 8: 4
Average FA tossups per packet: 3.25 (not bad at all, comparatively)
Minimum: 2
Maximum: 4
Average sans VCUO packet: 3.43
Minimum: 3
Maximum: 4

Fine Arts bonuses, packet-by-packet
Packet 1 (taken from VCUO): 2
Packet 2: 3
Packet 3: 3
Packet 4: 4
Packet 5: 3
Packet 6: 4 (only 19 bonuses)
Packet 7: 5 (only 19 bonuses; one FA bonus only has two parts)
Packet 8: 6 (only 19 bonuses)
Average FA bonuses per packet: 3.75
Minimum: 2
Maximum: 6
Average sans VCUO packet: 4
Minimum: 3
Maximum: 6

Mythology tossups: 4 (Round 1, Round 4*, Round 6**, Round 8)
Mythology bonuses: 4 (Round 4, Round 5, Round 6, Round 7)
Total over 8 rounds: 4/4
*I am very generously counting the Titus Manlius Torquatus tossup as mythology, despite its nebulously historical nature - ancient history player Trevor got a lot madder at it than did myth player me, so take that with a grain of salt.
**This tossup, in addition to being about Basque mythology, contains lies about the origin of the name of Red Bull. Red Bull is adapted from noted Thai energy drink whose name means "Red Bull" Krating Daeng.

Why have I done this? Because I want to shame a couple of first-time (note: not actually first-time) writers out of writing things again? Of course not. My goal here is twofold: Educate others as to what not to do and mathematically justify my complaints about the tournament so they're not dismissed as "perception".

Please, if your tournament is nowhere near getting finished in time, just postpone it! I'd rather be able to play a full, non-crazily-distributed tournament at some later date than a wacky-ass seven-round tournament that's fully half literature+FA right now. While generally quizbowl is better than no quizbowl, I (and I'm sure many others) would be willing to wait and play good quizbowl.

That said, there were plenty of wacky difficulty outliers in this set, but that's certainly something that can be improved upon. The majority of questions, horrifically distributed as they were, were solid and, within reason, appropriate for the announced level and the audience of the tournament. I certainly encourage Tommy and Cameron to keep writing things and to try again - everyone makes mistakes their first time around, and they have a lot of promise.

That said, there was a fuckton of literature and a relatively-diminished-but-still-greater-than-expected fuckton of fine arts in this tournament. There was also not enough mythology - 2/4 in rounds that were both written for the tournament and played during the tournament (round 1 was a VCUO round, round 8 was saved for finals and not played by most teams). This doesn't take into account subdistributional issues (in FA especially) but those have mostly been discussed already. I just want to make it clear that these issues were not of perception - they really happened!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT