NAQT Scheduling Committee

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT Scheduling Committee

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT is pleased to announce the formation of its Scheduling Committee. Full details are here.

The committee's membership for 2009-2010 will be R. Robert Hentzel, Jeff Hoppes, Chad Kubicek, and Trygve Meade.

This is your discussion thread for all matters concerning NAQT scheduling.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: NAQT Scheduling Committee

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I wish to lodge a complaint.

According to the NAQT website (http://naqt.com/schedule.jsp?coll=yes), Pitt is hosting a collegiate A-set tournament on the same day as Brown's Early Fall Tournament. Putting aside all arguments about whether A-sets are appropriate for college play (which we have repeatedly proven that they aren't), this event would draw teams away from one of the premier introductory events of the year. Please rectify this situation.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I hope this has been resolved by now. If not, then what's going on here?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, are we ever going to get a public resolution of this? This is kind of important.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

E-mail dated 18 Sept. 2009 wrote: My name is Brian Sisco and I am the tournament director for the University of Pittsburgh's Quiz Bowl team. I am pleased to announce that we will be hosting a NAQT tournament using an A-Level set to be held at the University of Pittsburgh on Saturday, October 3rd, 2009.
EDIT: Removed irrelevant parts of e-mail (I hit Submit rather than Preview at first), but not before Jerry responded... sorry about that.
Last edited by dschafer on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Surely "November 18" must be September 18. But that doesn't actually help explain what the hell is going on because viewing that announcement tells me nothing of this tournament is scheduled opposite ours.
Jerry Vinokurov
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

I don't think the NAQT scheduling commitee can do much about when/what hosts choose to host, it can only "recommend". Take it up with Pitt.
Barry
Cornell
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Why doesn't Pitt just host an EFT mirror if it's not too close to any other sites?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Wall of Ham wrote:I don't think the NAQT scheduling commitee can do much about when/what hosts choose to host, it can only "recommend". Take it up with Pitt.
Umm... the committee was expressly formed for the purpose of preventing such incidents. Given that no one on the Pitt team has even bothered to post in this thread, which has been live for forever now, and also given that noted NAQT member Dwight Kidder has a connection to that team (unless I am mistaken), it seems to me that the only way this is going to get resolved is if I force the issue publicly.
Why doesn't Pitt just host an EFT mirror if it's not too close to any other sites?
Now that is something you'd have to ask Pitt. I would be more than happy to let them do so.
Jerry Vinokurov
at your pleasure
Auron

Has Pitt even announced their tournament on the boards?
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Doink the Clown wrote:Why doesn't Pitt just host an EFT mirror if it's not too close to any other sites?
Both Trygve and I recommended this solution to the scheduling committee on August 27th.

Pitt has not been in contact with us recently; I'll ask R. what the current status of this event is.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
at your pleasure
Auron

So, this is a high school issue, but this thread is the NAQT scheduling thread. According to NAQT's tournament calendar, http://www.naqt.com/schedule.jsp?hs=yes ... s&long=yes ,Bel Air High School in Bel Air, MD is hosting a A-set tournament on the 21st. This is notably the same day as QuAC II at Penn.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

You know Bel-Air is like 4 hours away from Philadelphia, right?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Doink the Clown wrote:So, this is a high school issue, but this thread is the NAQT scheduling thread. According to NAQT's tournament calendar, http://www.naqt.com/schedule.jsp?hs=yes ... s&long=yes ,Bel Air High School in Bel Air, MD is hosting a A-set tournament on the 21st. This is notably the same day as QuAC II at Penn.
Eh, this isn't a problem. Our 32-team field is full as is (with a waitlist to boot), and the Mid-Atlantic is a large enough place that it can support multiple tournaments on the same weekend, especially when we're mostly drawing northern (NY/NJ/PA) teams traveling south to Philly, plus a few strong programs from further afield that probably aren't going to drop everything to attend an A-set tournament. The two tournaments serve different fields, and there is more than enough room for both of them.
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:You know Bel-Air is like 4 hours away from Philadelphia, right?
It's actually closer- probably somewhere just north of an hour. Still not a problem though.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Doink the Clown wrote:So, this is a high school issue, but this thread is the NAQT scheduling thread. According to NAQT's tournament calendar, http://www.naqt.com/schedule.jsp?hs=yes ... s&long=yes ,Bel Air High School in Bel Air, MD is hosting a A-set tournament on the 21st. This is notably the same day as QuAC II at Penn.
There is no problem here. I looked into sending some of my students to the tournament, but ended up deciding we couldn't go due to a lack of drivers.

The Bel Air tournament is meant for the local Western Maryland teams, few of which go to other events posted on this board. I think they have a county league or something. Also, the tournament is using the set, but is not playing standard 20/20. I think they are doing a tossup round, followed by a bonus round, and then a tossup round. We were confused when we were trying to figure it out.

Anyway, the likely overlap between these events is practically zero teams.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
at your pleasure
Auron

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:You know Bel-Air is like 4 hours away from Philadelphia, right?
I think you are thinking of the wrong Bel Air. The Bel Air the tournament is being held at is the one in Harford County, which is north of Baltimore.

MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Do we know when SCT sites are going to be announced? If a non-Canada site was closest for us, I could ask for funding for the trip, but I would need to submit my request before the Fall quarter ends on November 21st.

Thanks.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)