ACF Nationals Predictions

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

ACF Nationals Predictions

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

First, Jeremy Gibbs takes over the tournament, transforms it into a hybrid of multiple choice questions about the bible and competitions to see who can perform derivatives fastest. This leads to Brown handily winning because of Eric's computation skills in high school and all the Jews Aaron knows about, although they mysteriously are upset by a newcomer Brigham Young squad as a surprise last minute addition to the field.
Other predictions: ETA on the last round being completely finished. I say 12:51 PM on Sunday. The closest picker gets a dinner with my grandfather.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auroni
Auron

Re: ACF Nationals Predictions

Post by Auroni »

Brendan Byrne knocks out an East Side scofflaw with the force of his crushed Red Bull can throw.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Everyone gets such a caffeine buzz off Red Bull it turns into Stanford Prison Experiment Part Two when Weiner pulls out his bad packets collection.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

*Hearing rumors of "free drinks" at WUSTL, Cardinals skipper Tony LaRussa drops by only to discover that it is free Red Bull. Having nothing better to do, Chris Carpenter and Troy Glaus form an impromptu team. While they manage to stunningly win at least one game, they both suffer career-ending injuries during the second game's first tossup.

*In an attempt to compensate for his ICT Journal, Mik Larsen takes Mike Sorice out to dinner. The evening is spoiled when Donald Taylor shows up and hits Mik in the head with a shoe. After a few tense moments, Kyle Haddad-Fonda uses his comprehensive knowledge of shoe-tossing around the world to declare that Donald was merely reenacting a South American ceremony in which the action is a compliment. Problem solved.

*Inspired by the ICT tossup on "Spaceship Earth," a tossup on "The Seas with Nemo and Friends" mysteriously appears. Brendan Byrne can't stop saying "Are you serious?" and is negged for conferring by an overzealous moderator. Luckily for Minnesota, their opponent at the time, Harvard, is foiled when Bruce Arthur dates himself by calling it "The Living Seas," which is not accepted.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Jeremy Gibbs Sampling
Wakka

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Sampling »

The tournament is one-third edited by midnight tonight, leading to an open call for questions from anyone within the sound of Matt Weiner's voice. In round 5, an unedited "biology" tossup-bonus cycle written by the Friar (answer selection: "rabbits" and important opioids) brings about a mighty stamp of the foot by Eric Mukherjee, which brings down poor, dilapidated Eliot Hall around him. Mortals perish, while The Judge in the room emerges with scratches in its paint. Wash. U. issues Eric a $10,000 check for demolition of the eyesore and promises to name a doorknob for him in the Danforth University Center.

EDIT: I have somehow let loose an unsigned post into this world
Gordon "The Friar" Arsenoff
Wash. U. '12
Rochester '06
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Jeremy Gibbs Sampling wrote:The tournament is one-third edited by midnight tonight
This shall not come to pass.
Jeremy Gibbs Sampling wrote:In round 5, an unedited "biology" tossup-bonus cycle written by the Friar (answer selection: "rabbits" and important opioids) brings about a mighty stamp of the foot by Eric Mukherjee, which brings down poor, dilapidated Eliot Hall around him.
Neither shall this.
Jeremy Gibbs Sampling wrote:Mortals perish, while The Judge in the room emerges with scratches in its paint. Wash. U. issues Eric a $10,000 check for demolition of the eyesore and promises to name a doorknob for him in the Danforth University Center.
I suppose this might.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Seth Teitler and Chicago A will win the tournament in a boring romp, forcing us all to concoct more interesting, ficticious accounts of what actually happened.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Jeremy Gibbs Sampling
Wakka

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Sampling »

The HQ staff will try, and will bail out of halfway through, each of a series of halfbaked schemes for distributing the question files; no one will believe they can access them even once they can; Round 1 will not start till 10:45. The Friar will later confirm that he can put them on the Web server in his office down the hall and make them available to all in under a minute, but before the round will be stuck in a game room waiting for instructions.

Oh, wait, predictions. My bad.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '12
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

wow, that's even one more a than I expected.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Whig's Boson wrote:Seth Teitler and Chicago A will win the tournament in a boring romp, forcing us all to concoct more interesting, ficticious accounts of what actually happened.
Words status: eaten.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)