The Brock Landers Memorial Open @ The University of Missouri

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

The Brock Landers Memorial Open @ The University of Missouri

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello quizbowlers!
I am announcing the Brock Landers Memorial Open: Still Hungry? to be held at The University of Missouri in Columbia on April 18th, 2009. This tournament will be a mirror of the set being produced for the Harvard International. It should be worth noting that this will take place a weekend AFTER HI, so there should be no religious conflicts with the date. As the name implies, the field will be totally open to anyone who wants to sign up, although we may have to place a cap on the field based on how many moderators we can get.
Because this is a set being written by the Harvard team, there will be no need for teams to submit packets. The base entry fee will be $120 for each team, and we will offer the following discounts:

Buzzers: $5 off for each buzzer set
Laptops: $5 off for each laptop (1 per team max)
High Schoolers: $5 off for each high schooler on the team ($20 maximum discount)
Miles Traveled: $10 off for every $200 miles traveled
Staffers: $10 off for every competent moderator brought, $5 off for every scorekeeper brought

Any registration emails should be sent to [email protected]. We will keep a running tally of the field here:
Chicago "interested"
Illinois: "interested"
a faint rumbling about an open team of Minnesotans
Missouri U of S&T, or at least Matt Chadbourne solo
Truman State, at least 1 team
We hope that you are as pleased at this opportunity to play a set that will be a very appropriate preparation for ACF Nationals at Washington University-St Louis a weekend later as we are to be able to host it for you.
-Charlie Dees, MU Quizbowl
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Re: The Brock Landers Memorial Open @ The University of Missouri

I just want to say that given room reservations, I am going to tentatively cap the field at 17 teams, especially since I'm not sure we could get more staff than that but also that we have been given 8 rooms to play in. Hopefully this will not be an inconvenience to teams, and I encourage you to register sooner rather than later if you are interested in attending.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

This would be a good point to mention that unless questions start flowing from Harvard's collective pen, it's extremely unlikely that this tournament will exceed sixteen packets, so I'm not sure what you'd want to do with a seventeen team field. Pardon if I'm missing something.
Andrew Watkins

You know there are other options for rebracketing, right?

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:You know there are other options for rebracketing, right?
No kidding; I just wasn't sure how many brackets you'd want to run with seventeen teams, unequal brackets being a bother and all. I'll just shut up.
Andrew Watkins

Hey everybody. I just remembered that my apartment complex, which is easily accessible by bus from campus which means it's indirectly accessible if you are staying in nearby hotels, has both outdoor basketball courts that are open at night and a field with a cooker where we could feasibly hold a barbecue if people wanted. Would anyone be interested in doing this either Friday or Saturday night? Obviously I might ask a nominal amount of money from everyone attending to offset the cost of food if we do.

Alright, we've gotten our first batch of rooms reserved so the field is currently limited to 8 teams - however, I'm applying for a few more so it should be up more like 14 by the time we're done. I don't think we'll be able to accommodate more than 14 though given how many rooms are available and how many staffers we can draw. If you are interested in registering more formally, then please email [email protected] saying how many teams you are planning on bringing, along with buzzers and staff. I'm only going to pay attention to actual registrations that show up in my inbox, not posts in this thread or anything.
Also, I think what we are going to do is run the 2009 Morarji Desai Post-hosting Dinner: Urine Therapy as soon as people can get from the completed tournament to my apartment. Once there, there's an open basketball court, a beach volleyball dealy, and plenty of open space to play frisbee while I grill hot dogs, burgers, bratwurst, and some kind of vegetarian meal if so desired. Also, later if people want we can play the Fine Arts tournament as like a shootout at my place (it's looking impossible for me to get rooms for it or else I would have run it regularly). As the date approaches for that, I'll need more specifics on how many people to expect.
In any case, I hope you can make it to what looks to be a well written pre-ACF Nationals warmup event, and await your registration emails eagerly.

Alright, good news, it looks like we have the approval for 7 game rooms and one for an Albanian bunker in the 1970s where we can try to relive Hitler's last days, so I'm going to set the field at no more than 15 teams. If you want to register, again, please send emails to [email protected].

Alright, the only teams that I have any information on are that Lincoln University and Missouri S&T want to bring a team, and Illinois is probably bringing at least 1 team. The following teams are mysteries beyond that at least someone on their team told me they were interested to some degree:
Carleton
Chicago
Harding
Truman State
Minnesota

If you guys could get back to me about if you are attending, that would be fantastic, because we need to start knowing what kind of staff we need to wrangle up. Please email [email protected], and if other teams that aren't on that list want to attend, please email me.
Thanks,
-Charlie

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Any chance of a fine arts mirror during lunch or something like that ?
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

We'll bring a team to this.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Is the tournament still on? Has anybody heard?
Paul Nelson
Cuba (MO) High School ('98)
B.A.--Missouri S&T/UMR ('02)
NAQT writer/Missouri organizer (2004-'10)
President emeritus, Missouri Quizbowl Alliance
Working western New York tournaments ('13-?)
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Is the tournament still on? Has anybody heard?
Why wouldn't it be on?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

Yeah, it's on.

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

...awake....and moving toward quiz bowl action.... all by my lonesome.
Kent Buxton

Sorry it took a while to post, I was having a staffers dinner that took a while.
Here are the final results: after a quadruple round robin of Lincoln, Missouri State, Truman State (aka Kent playing solo), and a house team, Missouri State and the house team tied at 10-2. The house team (with the special guest appearance of statskeeper Joey Spicer) won the final match, I believe 190-120. Sean Phillips and Paul Nelson are the bomb for coming out to moderate, and I think it went very well.

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

I had fun despite being clueless on many of the questions. It was definitely eye-opening, having never played solo, to start on such a set. The study regiment for the summer just got a lot more intense.... don't want to have entire games of zero-ing bonuses anymore.

I'll probably have some feedback for the other thread sometime soon.

Thanks to Charlie, Sean, Paul, and Joey for making this happen.
Kent Buxton

Also, stats will be forthcoming I assume. We need to fix something in practice, but then it will be up.

I can't care enough to spend the time figuring out how to upload these to our website so until Michael P. Hill makes it back from his netherworld, here is a zip file with the stats.
Attachments
Brock_Landers_Memorial_Tournament Stats.zip
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 194 times