ACF Regionals Southeast at Georgia Tech, 02/28/09

Old college threads.
derogatorysphinx
Lulu

ACF Regionals Southeast at Georgia Tech, 02/28/09

Post by derogatorysphinx »

Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA will be hosting ACF Regionals Southeast on February 28. 2009.

Fees:
Base fee: $120 per team
Buzzer systems: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each
Laptop: -$5 each (max 1 per team)
Travel: -$10 for every 200 miles traveled (one-way)
International: -$20
Teams new to ACF: -$25
Teams new to quizbowl: -$75
High school teams: -$50

Packet Reminders:
All experienced teams are required to submit packets for ACF Regionals. For details regarding who is required to submit a packet and what your packet should look like, please consult the official ACF Packet Submission Guidelines (http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packetsub.php). There will be discounts and penalties for timely and untimely submissions; they are detailed in the guide and summarized below:

* Packet submitted by:
* Jan. 4: -$50
* Jan. 18: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
* Feb. 1: No penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
* Feb. 8: +$25
* Feb. 15: +$50

If you do not make special arrangements with the editors and do not submit a packet by Feb. 15, you will not be allowed to play. There will be no exceptions to this rule. Also, please take special note of the formatting rules for packet submission. Read this carefully: if your packet violates the formatting guidelines, it will be sent right back to you.

Difficulty:
ACF Regionals is intended as a regular-difficulty event. Please look at ACF Regionals 2008 as an example of the target difficulty of this tournament. If you are unsure whether a particular answer choice is appropriate for this tournament, contact the editors and we'll let you know. In general, you should strive to adhere to the question writing practices outlined in the Guide linked to above.

To register or if you have questions/concerns contact Amy Varallo at avarallo(at)gatech(dot)edu
Thanks,
Amy Varallo

Field update so far:
Wake Forest (interested)
UGA
Southside High School
derogatorysphinx
Lulu

Re: ACF Regionals Southeast at Georgia Tech, 02/28/09

New field update:

South Carolina (1 or 2 teams)
Southside High School (1 team)
UGA (unknown number of teams)
Clemson aka Nick Clusserath and Dorman people
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Is there a field update?
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
derogatorysphinx
Lulu

No field update.

Here is relevant information for Saturday:

Please plan on being here by 8:30 AM. Rounds will begin at 9 AM.

I recommend that you park at the Student Center Parking lot, which is open and free on the weekends.
Here are directions to the Student Center Parking Lot:
From northeast of Atlanta (Interstate 85 south): Take Interstate 85 south to the North Avenue exit (Number 249D). Turn right onto North Avenue. Travel .3 miles and turn right on Cherry St. Turn left onto Ferst Drive. Travel approximately .2 miles on Ferst Drive and turn right into the visitors' parking lot.
From northwest of Atlanta (Interstate 75 south): Take Interstate 75 south to the North Avenue exit (Number 249D). Turn right onto North Avenue. Travel .3 miles and turn right on Cherry St. Turn left onto Ferst Drive. Travel approximately .2 miles on Ferst Drive and turn right into the visitors' parking lot.
From north of Atlanta (Georgia 400 south): Take Georgia 400 south to Interstate 85 south to the North Avenue exit (Number 249D). Turn right onto North Avenue. Travel .3 miles and turn right on Cherry St. Turn left onto Ferst Drive. Travel approximately .2 miles on Ferst Drive and turn right into the visitors' parking lot.
From south of Atlanta (Interstate 85/75 north): Take Interstate 85/75 north to the Peachtree Street NW exit (Number 249D). Keep to the left and continue straight onto Linden Ave NW. Take the first left onto West Peachtree St NW. Turn left onto North Avenue. Travel .5 miles and turn right on Cherry St. Turn left onto Ferst Drive. Travel approximately .2 miles on Ferst Drive and turn right into the visitors' parking lot.From east or west of Atlanta (Interstate 20): Take Interstate 20 to Interstate 85/75 north to the Peachtree Street NW exit (Number 249D). Keep to the left and continue straight onto Linden Ave NW. Take the first left onto West Peachtree St NW. Turn left onto North Avenue. Travel .5 miles and turn right on Cherry St. Turn left onto Ferst Drive. Travel approximately .2 miles on Ferst Drive and turn right into the visitors' parking lot.

In terms of gameplay, I do not know what the bracketing will be yet. If you are planning on bringing a team, LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Email me with concerns or questions.
Auron

Amy,

In what building will the tournament take place? The Student Center or elsewhere?
Eric D.
derogatorysphinx
Lulu

Field as of right now:

UGA (2 teams)
Southside High School
South Carolina (1 or 2 teams)
Clemson (Nick C. et al)

The building the tournament will be held in is unknown right now. I'll email this information as soon as I know. Georgia Tech is terrible with scheduling of buildings.
Auron

Cool. South Carolina will be bringing 1 team.
Eric D.
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Results: USC cleared the field, going undefeated, while the Dorman-ish exhibition team took second and Southside HS third. Farrah has the stats and will hopefully upload them soon.

I want to thank the teams for coming out, as well as sticking through the waiting-on-questions debacle and re-bracketing after UGA left. I hope that despite the issues, you guys enjoyed yourselves.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Never mind, I'm posting the stats instead:

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

We only played 10 rounds because we were being kicked out of the building at 7 and we only got started at 11 o'clock thanks to the late questions. We were in the middle of a double RR, but it got interrupted after round 7 by UGA's departure, so for the final three rounds, we played a RR of the remaining 4 teams, after which the standings sorted themselves out pretty clearly.

Thanks again to all teams, hope to see you at our next tournament.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Yeah guys, sorry for the delay in posting stats. My laptop got wet yesterday, and I couldn't install SQBS on a library computer to generate the html reports.

fsb
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Auron

Thanks for hosting, Tech. Although I was unable to help read at this event, it sounded like you guys put up with a lot of crap for the sake of hosting this tournament.
Eric D.
Crimson Rosella
Wakka

Post by Crimson Rosella »

Yes, thank you. I thought you did a fine job dealing with the events of the day and we enjoyed the tournament thoroughly.
Joey Montoya
University of South Carolina 2005-2010
Stanford University 2010-
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Could you enable round report on these stats (including which packet was used which round)?
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Done, I think. Let me know if I did something wrong (this is my first time using SQBS so it was a lot of trial and error)
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12